• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Isn't that event related to Perry?

Loki100: Well I need luxury Goods to Provide the last unmet need of the people and increase private capital gains While arms Factories give me steel which I'm very much short of right now.

Soulstrider: Probably is but I didn't get a Perry event as I started opening up straight away.

Stuyvesant: The reason is obvious. I can't build steel mills yet so arms factories are my only possible source of steel which is in great demand in factories.

Chapter Nine: A Change in Leadership.

Well Industrial Progress is now the watch word of the Day. My private capital income base has vanished and Further expansion can only be done using trade unless I sell more Luxury goods to the people. This weakening of the Economy and an Increasing focus on Industry for which I'm severely short on steel to build using has slowed the Building boom to a crawl. I did build a New arms shop and a Fishermen's port. I also built a railway in Nagoya to help Silk production as it's the only export good that sells reliably overseas bringing in much needed Cash.

I also continue military expansion. Build a Fourth Infantry Corps to strengthen my army and Building two Field Hospitals to support them in combat. China is still Slightly Stronger right now. There likely building as fast as they can to help Fight the Taiping.

I also have the aforementioned change in Leadership. The old Shogun has died and his young son or something has taken over. Well he may not be his son but he's at least related. I'm moving closer to the Meiji Restoration which should help. But in the meantime another Useless guy has taken over a regent.

PON_26.jpg

In other News there is an attempt to kill the French Emperor by an Italian nationalist which means it looks like a Possible Italian Reunification is nearing if all goes well for Italy.

PON_25.jpg

Also In Eastern Europe Romania has formed from the Unification of the Two Romanian Principalities under the Ottoman Thumb. Ok this happened in the Next year but I paly to Jan the year after the bulk of the Update so It's here. Nothing will come of it. One Third is currently occupied by rebels anyway.

PON_27.jpg

looks like you have a number of bottlenecks in your industrial chain ... any way to build merchant fleets and see if you can trade your way out of it?

& ... I will be soooo jealous if your game sees a full Italian unification chain (complete with self-suiciding Austrian AI)

Bear in mind that I still only have the most basic understanding of this game, so please bear with me if this is a stupid question, but does building up your military take away resources that could be used for economic expansion, or do they mostly use different resources (I understand your economy won't need conscripts and officers, but capital etc., is that used for both purposes)?

Bear in mind that I still only have the most basic understanding of this game, so please bear with me if this is a stupid question, but does building up your military take away resources that could be used for economic expansion, or do they mostly use different resources (I understand your economy won't need conscripts and officers, but capital etc., is that used for both purposes)?

Kibitzing a bit:

Short answer is, yes, a to a certain extent, it does.

Military construction requires - IIRC, always - MfGs, and also usually steel (for ships, guns etc.). On some occasions, maybe coal (ships?) and also private capital. I would not be surprised if, later on, mechanical parts and/or rubber (which in 1867 has no use) would also be added to this list, but that is only a guess.

On a general scale, these resources (Mfg, steel, coal, mech. parts), as you also hinted, are also usually required for most (all?) of the economic structures you build.

aye, as an eg, I'm keeping out my break even/loss making mfg goods plants simply as I need a decent supply for both new economic structures and to keep the replacement flow. So with an unbalanced Japan-style economy, that becomes quite a challenge

Having just caught up, I have to say, interesting, very interesting.

I have not yet tried Japan myself, so it's good to get a look at how they play. I look forward to the next instalment.

A pity indeed, but if the save is gone, there is nowt to be done about it. Just out of curiosity, did you play ahead any? And if you did, were there any fun/interesting/shocking developments you ran into? Just trying to see if I can squeeze any last additional bit of enjoyment out of this AAR. ;)

Thanks for writing and I'll follow along with your Pontic adventures.