+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: What do you build, what do you reaserch and why?

  1. #21
    Colonel Dron22's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourMarch of the EaglesVictoria: Revolutions
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    837
    Quote Originally Posted by calvinhobbeslik View Post
    Do you have a mod? I've never heard of that event before...
    I think he means the decision Russia gets if the Ottomans have militancy above 3 or 4, it's called Defender of Eastern Christiandom which then triggers an event with two options usually with UK. I am not sure what exactly it does, but it might be something that is supposed to lead to a similar situation that caused the Crimean War, although I never saw it lead to war between Russia, Ottomans and UK.

  2. #22
    Major Shiggs713's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDivine WindVictoria 2Europa Universalis IV

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by hitchens View Post
    So my question is this, what do you build and in what order and what tech do you research and again in what order?

    so far my research as been : (ca) medicine>>all military army tech to level 2 (got defence/fort level 3) and now going for level 3. I haven't done much research in industry but why should I because I'm rich!

    So.......what do you all think?
    I almost always go for Ideological Thought --> Idealism first thing. Then it depends but usually Medicine, Market Structure, and Practical Steam Engine are high up on the list. With those you will get some nice growth and be able to put the education slider up to 100% if you haven't been already. Of course you don't wanna forget Biogalism for education or some of the input/output efficiency techs for the industry.

    I actually really enjoy Strategic Mobility early on for the level 2 forts and +.5 recon. It can make a huge difference in the outcome of a war. Single best military tech IMO, because if used properly and early before other nations get it you can defeat nations 3-4 times your size early in the game. I totally defeated Argentina with Chile with only 4 brigades of irregular infantry using this tactic... they had 10 regiments of regulars. I didn't even mobilize. As long as you can trick them into sieging your level 2 forts, move in and siege their provinces with no forts its cakewalk. Then continuously keep a line of captured provinces between your forces and theirs, so that when they come to attack you they end up just sieging another province. The key is you are getting 4 provinces sieged for every 1 they get so eventually you can defeat just about anyone using this tactic.

  3. #23
    Colonel Dron22's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourMarch of the EaglesVictoria: Revolutions
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    837
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiggs713 View Post
    I almost always go for Ideological Thought --> Idealism first thing. Then it depends but usually Medicine, Market Structure, and Practical Steam Engine are high up on the list. With those you will get some nice growth and be able to put the education slider up to 100% if you haven't been already. Of course you don't wanna forget Biogalism for education or some of the input/output efficiency techs for the industry.

    I actually really enjoy Strategic Mobility early on for the level 2 forts and +.5 recon. It can make a huge difference in the outcome of a war. Single best military tech IMO, because if used properly and early before other nations get it you can defeat nations 3-4 times your size early in the game. I totally defeated Argentina with Chile with only 4 brigades of irregular infantry using this tactic... they had 10 regiments of regulars. I didn't even mobilize. As long as you can trick them into sieging your level 2 forts, move in and siege their provinces with no forts its cakewalk. Then continuously keep a line of captured provinces between your forces and theirs, so that when they come to attack you they end up just sieging another province. The key is you are getting 4 provinces sieged for every 1 they get so eventually you can defeat just about anyone using this tactic.
    That's more like a gamey exploit than a tactic.

  4. #24
    Master of Orion delra's Avatar
    Commander: Conquest of the Americas

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Warsaw, Poland
    Posts
    24,719
    Blog Entries
    98
    The whole war system in this game is one massive exploit. Question is if you hate micromanagement enough to exploit to the fullest, or only restrain yourself to exploiting chunks of it.
    “Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”

  5. #25
    Colonel Dron22's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourMarch of the EaglesVictoria: Revolutions
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    837
    Quote Originally Posted by delra View Post
    The whole war system in this game is one massive exploit. Question is if you hate micromanagement enough to exploit to the fullest, or only restrain yourself to exploiting chunks of it.
    Except surrounding big battles to eliminate the enemy brigades, I don't use exploits. When you play Hearts of Iron 3, do you leave a gap in your front line to let enemy divisions pour in before cutting them off? I never do that, makes the game boring.

  6. #26
    Master of Orion delra's Avatar
    Commander: Conquest of the Americas

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Warsaw, Poland
    Posts
    24,719
    Blog Entries
    98
    Lately in HoI3 I just automate everything except island invasions. Find the game too easy if I manage the counters myself, rather prefer to setup the country and the army in a way that lets even AI win.

    And I wish we had a similar system for Vicky2 (though I know most people here would more than strongly disagree with me about that).
    “Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”

  7. #27
    Colonel Dron22's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourMarch of the EaglesVictoria: Revolutions
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    837
    Quote Originally Posted by delra View Post
    Lately in HoI3 I just automate everything except island invasions. Find the game too easy if I manage the counters myself, rather prefer to setup the country and the army in a way that lets even AI win.

    And I wish we had a similar system for Vicky2 (though I know most people here would more than strongly disagree with me about that).
    AI is too easy to beat even without using gamey exploits, but I still don't like to automate army controls in Hearts of Iron 3. I think there is a new patch coming soon for FTM, will see what it changes.

  8. #28
    Major Shiggs713's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDivine WindVictoria 2Europa Universalis IV

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by Dron22 View Post
    That's more like a gamey exploit than a tactic.
    Whats gamey about building a fort and enticing a stupid AI to siege it?

    Lol... kidding of course, but I use just about anything to my advantage other than outright cheating... it is a game... so you game it.

  9. #29
    Colonel Dron22's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourMarch of the EaglesVictoria: Revolutions
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    837
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiggs713 View Post
    Whats gamey about building a fort and enticing a stupid AI to siege it?

    Lol... kidding of course, but I use just about anything to my advantage other than outright cheating... it is a game... so you game it.
    Well each person plays the game differently, I avoid gamey tactics for the same reason I never use cheats as they ruin the fun for me. I already often lose interest because AI is already too dumb.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts