A few years ago, I made an alternate history mod for HoI2 DDA that was released on some German forum. It was a bit rushed at the end since I stopped playing HoI2 and wanted to get it out quickly before I lost interest. Now a while back I discovered DH and was awestruck by its beautiful map, and since I'm not aware of any DH mod with a similar approach, I decided to convert my old mod. I'd like to get this done within a few weeks, so I'm looking for someone to help me with some of the work.
Anyway, let's get started with what the mod is all about.
The basic idea is to have lots of smaller nations with the potential to eventually develop into great powers. There is a main branch of event chains (around 12k lines of country events), but players can deviate from that branch without any drawbacks. Overall the game feels very EU-ish.
For reference, here is an image of Europe at the start of the game (1935):
In a hands-off test game, the same area looked like this roughly 8 years later:
Germany is actually divided into three independent states at this point. (same color)
Some cool things that can happen in this mod:
- German three-way civil war (Prussia, Communists, Federalists)
- Russian civil war and Polish war of eastern aggression
- "Danzig or War" (for Poland...)
- New Kalmar Union (including war of supremacy)
- Denmark (after conquest of Norway and subjugation of Sweden) may decide to unite the "aryan lands" (i.e. Germany and England)
- Resurrection of the Ottoman Empire
- Crimean Crisis (Turkey vs Russia or Poland)
- Sudeten Crisis for Austria
- Austrian-Hungarian merger
- Partition of Italy between Austria-Hungary, France, Spain
- Resurrection of Poland-Lithuania
- Partition of Poland between Prussia, Russia, Austria-Hungary
- Resurrection of the Greco-Byzantine Empire
- Chinese civil war with French intervention
- Sino-Japanese war over Taiwan or Korea
- Unification (read: conquest) of former Spanish colonies in South America under Peru
- Benelux unification to counter French continental ambitions
- USA turning ultra-nazi, ultra-commie, or dissolving into independent states
- Anglo-French World War
These can all happen without any player actions. There also is a huge variety regarding alliances and ideologies, and civil wars are designed to be as open-ended as possible.
Apart from the scenario and historical events, the biggest changes are a completely reworked province.csv and sophisticated AI files along with events that allow for puppet masters to dictate AIs for their puppets.
What needs to be done for v1.0 (release around end of June):
- Convert province.csv for DH map
- Convert adj-defs.csv for DH map
- Convert scenario files for DH map
- Convert event files for DH map
- Convert AI files for DH tech tree
- Update DH ministers/leaders/teams
- Convert new flags to DH style
Planned for v1.1 (release around mid-July):
- re-incorporate intelligence (currently removed b/c of DDA bugs)
- Convert puppet AI events to DH decisions
- write a few more event texts
To what extent new DH mechanics like mobilization and stockpiles will be incorporated is not clear at this point.
If you have experience with DH's new event/decision scripting features and/or Bizon's Map-to-Map converter or just don't mind doing some tedious work, please contact me via PM. And if you would like to see this mod released for DH, please leave some feedback in this thread.
More motivation -> faster relase.
I currently don't have too much time to allocate to this project, so if I could get one or maybe two skilled and motivated modders to help that would really speed things up a lot.
Edit: Here's a download link for the HoI2 DDA mod (PFP / SEII), since I guess no one wants to sign up blindly: http://www.mediafire.com/file/0r07l6...4/pfp_v1.0.zip