+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I want to be able to name my units

I want to be able to name my units

On a large map where you have dozens of units, it would be a little easier if units could be named, instead of just spearman, i could name it according to it's perk or what mission i have it doing. It woud also give units more personally & unqiueness.

Plus it's FUN !!!

Darkest HourWarlock: Master of the Arcane

I would like this too. After a unit has been through multiple battles and still survives even if only through sheer luck it deserves a unique name. This would be a fun addition to this game

I agree, I believe this was suggested in the big sticky thread at one point too.
    Warlock Techtrees! I didn't make them, but I love them.

61 games registered

Darkest HourDeus VultEast India CompanyEast India Company CollectionElven Legacy Collection
    Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Galactic AssaultGettysburgHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossKing Arthur II
    Lead and GoldLegioThe Kings CrusadeLost Empire - ImmortalsMagicka
    Majesty 2Majesty II CollectionEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic CirclePenumbra - Black Plague
    Pirates of Black CoveVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuShip Simulator ExtremesSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 Gold
    Supreme Ruler: Cold WarStarvoidSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k club

+1

I had not even thought about it, but it is definitely a feature I love in other games.
    It does indeed add to the immersion-factor.

Pretty please add this to the game.
    Win 8.1 - 16GB RAM - i7 2600k - Radeon 6990 Watercool - MSI Z68A G80 GEN3

+1 ! I wholeheartedly agree - this adds a lot to the immersion factor and the feeling that you're creating your own world. Renaming units is a great feature we find in games like the Civ series and the new Fallen Enchantress.

The game is lots of fun, and the ability to add that little personal touch to units would give the game lots of staying power and re-playability. It's funny, I think sometimes the smallest details are what make a great game. For example, I think the detailed descriptions of each unit in Warlock are superb - it's rare to find that nowadays, it's often left out of other games.

Please please add it to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by fireserval7 View Post
    I think the detailed descriptions of each unit in Warlock are superb - it's rare to find that nowadays, it's often left out of other games.
    WOW !! So true, I love the detail info on the units.

I especially like the descriptions for Red and Gold dragons. =P
    Warlock Techtrees! I didn't make them, but I love them.

+1! naming units is very important to differentiate between elite-super-squads and lowly level units.

I agree. Plus it would be good to have more specializations in the upgrade path. Currently units of the same type evolve more or less the same.

Yeah! Custom names would be cool.

Community Manager Administrator BjornB's Avatar
    EUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Blog Entries
    I shall make sure your wishes are known to the devs
    You can always check out my reborn twitter attempt: @BjornB_pdx - it kind of sucks though. But sometimes there is interesting/useful info there

Cities in MotionFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIISemper FiSword of the Stars
    Supreme Ruler 2020 GoldWarlock: Master of the Arcane

+1

Definitely adds to the immersion factor. I am all for that.
    Semper Fidelis -- U.S. Marine Corps Motto "Always Faithful"

“Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated
    warriors go to war first and then seek to win.” - Sun Tzu

I think this is a waste of time. I spent so much time cycling through stuff I don't even rename my cities. I would prefer actual hero units which would stand out from the rest of your units. The 2 starter units are pretty bad, maybe if they had unique level-up perks and multiple abilities then it would make them more interesting.

Also, I choose the same perks for all of my units, so they are mostly identical depending on what level they are. There is a pretty easy to find optimal path...

No there isn't. It's obvious that you should focus your unit's perks on the task you plan to use them for. You'd be smarter to give one unit of Warriors perks for defense bonuses and melee resistance if you plan to use them to besiege and hold captured cities, and to give another unit damage bonuses and elemental resistance if you're going to use them to fend off Greater Fire Elementals from Holy Grounds. In this light, it would be very useful to name your units if you've also planned specific tasks for them.

I agree with LTK; besides the immersion factor, naming units really helps me quickly identify which unit is good at what, i.e. how I've chosen to specialize it.

Yeah, count me in agreement too. Would be a nice feature

I wonder if they could include this feature in a DLC pack, I would definitely buy it, or would something like this have to wait for a full expansion.

+ Reply to Thread