• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

soth007

Sergeant
36 Badges
Mar 15, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Age of Wonders III
  • BATTLETECH
  • Knights of Honor
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines
I am a big fan of this game. I have already logged over 90 hours! The game is beautiful, and relaxing, but far far too easy to beat.

Even the hardest game mode feels like easy mode to me. I can't play the game anymore as I get no challenge. I want this to be one of my favourite games, and it will be if the AI is made harder. Make this game challenging and I will buy every DLC and expansion that is released.

I agree, it's very relaxing and that's part of its charm. But I also agree the AI could be kicked up. And like I said in the suggestions thread and elsewhere, some indication of how the difficulty level changes AI behavior would be nice. If we knew this information we could help them fine tune what does and doesn't make for a harder game.

I've found that the AI seems to be more effective on the "Great Land" map type, you might want to try that if you haven't.

I started a new game using the map. So far I have only met one AI. We're at war, but he must be too busy I have only seen one of his units. To be fair though I am too busy with the monsters to deal with him at this time. The monsters have been quite a challenge in this game so far, even lost a city to them. I'm playing challenging difficulty, so I expect to dominate once these monsters are dealt with. Maybe the dev should add a insane difficulty level, were the AI gets some high level units with perks.

Even on Great land, the AI insists on building lots and lots of boats. It is more challenging than any other map, but someone needs to tell the AI that boats suck...

This is true, they do still populate the small bodies of water with boats. But fortunately there's less overall opportunity for them to waste time doing this, and you don't have them with tons of units constantly tied up as Transports either.

Yeah, after several games Great Land does seem to be the most challenging. The monster spawns end up getting pretty serious and the AI factions tend to be more effective, so as far as I can tell it's the best way to play right now.

Indeed it is, landmass is by far the best. But the game is still over as soon as you get a good tiers 3 unit out. It is a shame, because the AI does not look that bad at positionning, which is much more complicated than prioritizing building and upgrading high end units (it would just need to focus one or two city on getting high end units, and the others on economy and upgrades).

Agreed, the battle AI seems pretty decent (with a few key problems). If the power level of accumulated upgrades and unit enchantments was reduced then it would be much harder to take on the AI on the great land type maps because they tend to end up with pretty sizable armies, just that their armies are mostly lower tier units with upgrades spread out among them instead of concentrated on a few. This is where the player gets a titanic advantage. So, if improving the AI is difficult or time-consuming (I suspect it is?), a short term solution could be to reduce the power of upgrades and unit enchants until such a time as the AI is better at them. The player would still enjoy the advantage of higher-tier units, but those lower and mid tier units can still be effective in numbers.

One small issue to be fixed. The AI for Sol Torvega keeps summoning Runes of Protection even though none of his units are nearby to benefit from them. In my current game, he does this almost every turn. See attached picture. runes of protection.jpg

Yeah I've seen Sol do that in several games. He sometimes fills up an entire area with them for no apparent reason. Actually, one time he made it impossible for me to capture a Neutral city at one point by blocking off spots to attack from (there were several mountains there as well), which might have been a decent tactic except I'm pretty sure it was totally accidental. Definitely something to be fixed

Here is another example of the AI summoning runes of protection in a useless way. In the picture, the runes should have been placed near the computer's units, rather than offensively. The AI seems to be treating these as it would treat wolf / imp / strong rat summons.

runes of protection 2.jpg