• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Brougal

Second Lieutenant
115 Badges
Sep 12, 2009
  • Stellaris
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Knights of Honor
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 - Second Wave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • March of the Eagles
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Iron Cross
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
I started playing as Byzantine Empire and vassalized the count of Napoli and now I have a choise to create a titular kingdom of Naples, I'm not using any mods so when was this added into the game? it seems so strange

This is fully normal, whoever holds Napoli can declare himself King because the City is so proud.
It is a titular title with no de jure vassals.
So, the effective use ofd this title is, when you have a Duke you want to satisfie, and who is part of the de jure Kingdom of Byzantion, create the Kingdom of Naples and grant him the rank of Despot. If he manages to hold his Duchy for 100 years, it will become de jure part of Naples, but that shouldn't matter.

This is fully normal, whoever holds Napoli can declare himself King because the City is so proud.
It is a titular title with no de jure vassals.
So, the effective use ofd this title is, when you have a Duke you want to satisfie, and who is part of the de jure Kingdom of Byzantion, create the Kingdom of Naples and grant him the rank of Despot. If he manages to hold his Duchy for 100 years, it will become de jure part of Naples, but that shouldn't matter.
This is fully normal as of patch 1.05, you mean? ;)

Titular Kingdoms are not that much of a problem, you can make fair use of them to promote Dukes of yours when playing on Emperor rank, or to reach the King level without any de jure demands.

There are titular Duchies which I like to grant to my Baron vassals in my main demesne

The real danger comes when you or the AI liege starts to create and hand out those titles and mess up de jure claims inside the realm

Last edited:
i worked real hard to get most of Sicily to actually be de jure Naples. Im 50 years away. What sucks is that i got my heir married to a byzantine princess for the alliance, but now because of various civil wars, she IS the Empress... their kids will eventually inherit and since my son will take over for me... well im gonna become the byzantine emperor in 2 generations most likely.... so all that work was for nothing

As long as the emperor does not hold any Kingdom ranked title when inheriting from you, the Duchies should still assimilate to Naples while Naples itself starts to assimilate to the empire as soon as it has de jure Duchies

Other solution is to change inheritance laws, if you haven't yet, or raise CA.
With high CA the title cannot pass outside the realm, disabling the emperor from it and seting your son's second born in line, with Elective succession you can choose your candidate yourself, or with Seniority simply skip the young boy for the next 50 years very likely.

I also have a Kingdom of Naples inside the HRE in my game with Ancona assimilating into it.

Just wondered has anyone seem the Duke of Brittany make himself King yet in their game?

I also have a Kingdom of Naples inside the HRE in my game with Ancona assimilating into it.

Just wondered has anyone seem the Duke of Brittany make himself King yet in their game?

I have. Brittany can't actually become a kingdom by itself; you need two duchy titles to create a King-level title. So in my game, Brittany owns part of Scotland.

Yep Brittany has existed as a Kingdom in mine, only difference is its no longer in Brittany but down in some formerly french duchy south of Auvergne.

And Trinacria is a Kingdom as well :) I kind of like seeing the different titles pop up every now and then

i worked real hard to get most of Sicily to actually be de jure Naples. Im 50 years away. What sucks is that i got my heir married to a byzantine princess for the alliance, but now because of various civil wars, she IS the Empress... their kids will eventually inherit and since my son will take over for me... well im gonna become the byzantine emperor in 2 generations most likely.... so all that work was for nothing

Not necessarily. Name a 3rd son or distant relative the King of Naples and give him all of the land which has already ticked toward becoming de-jure. He should carry the torch after that.

Yep, In a mp game. The king of France turned lollard and his lands were instantly devoured by England from the north, HRE from the east, Leon (myself) from the south and Brittany, obviously, from the west. They gained a second duchy and formed the kingdom of Brittany.

Not in my game atleast. It was long independent until it was conquered by some iberian muslims. I of course went and liberated it from the when the perfect oportunity came. Its now assimilating into kingdom of Galicia as I'm king of Galicia.

My current game is as Brittany and after first 100 years I rule 8 kingdoms, but you probably want to know is the AI able to do it. The answer is yes. In previous patch, when I was playing as Anglo-Saxon England, there was Kingdom of Brittany in Ulster. Duke of Brittany had conquered part of Ireland and formed the Kingdom of Brittany, but after that he gave his ducal title to a vassal who later won an independence war against him. So there were independent Duchy of Brittany and Kingdom of Brittany at the same time.

Yep Brittany has existed as a Kingdom in mine, only difference is its no longer in Brittany but down in some formerly french duchy south of Auvergne.

And Trinacria is a Kingdom as well :) I kind of like seeing the different titles pop up every now and then
My current game is as Brittany and after first 100 years I rule 8 kingdoms, but you probably want to know is the AI able to do it.

Heh, so true, when in one of my games Aquitaine suddenly popped up (to be reduced to a Barony in Aragon after 30 years), it was one of the more impressive moments of the game to realize France's territory doesn't belong to it de jure.

In my last three games I saw the AI d'Hauteville forming Sicily pretty fast to lose it to a Drengot everytime. :D

Rus I saw establish up once and immediately the Rurikovichs spread to take over the throne in Sweden and two generations later the ERE with cadet branches. Shortly after, Rus broke up when a little Girl inherited that the incapable King had finally produced with his young wife at the age of 70 instead of their heir to Sweden who was first in line before.

In a game where the ERE broke apart the Dukljanins managed to grab enough Land to form Serbia.

Brittany I haven't seen from the AI so far