• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
An Iberian union looks to be on the horizon – which would not seem to be good news at all for France. Should Spain decide to take her ambitions north of the Pyrenees, we could be seeing some hard-fought wars. No doubt they'd be incredibly interesting to read about, though! :)

Good to see expansion in India, also. I imagine the profits from Indian trade will be very nice indeed. They'll certainly help cushion the financial burden of fighting so many wars. Will you be looking to strike against the Empire once your troop shave had the chance to rest?

Do I see an Iberian Union coming up soon?

Yes it's happening, though I'd say it's more of an Iberian Empire than a Union; in this world Castille forcibly annexed both Aragon and Portugal, so it's likely to be even less stable than OTL Spain!

A very interesting update, despite significant set backs internally and the the HRE it must be reassuring to the French that they can at least count on superiority over the Spanish army!

The Portuguese and British combined force does not look like enough to halt the Spanish, especially given the lower quality of troops involved on the Portuguese side in particular. France and England are hardly traditional allies, it would be tempting indeed to cast their comrade in arms asunder. However, without the threat of a credible opponent on her Iberian flank, Spain would represent a greater threat to French power. Decisions, decisions...

While they do have superiority I felt like I tend to write a very overpowered French army, and I wanted to have a situation where the French army wins, but it doesn't matter because they just don't have enough troops yet.

And while there is a temptation to screw over one's ally (I would imagine especially for the English Republic), England and France are all the other one has right now.

I say: Pull a Persian and burn Madrid to the ground! Vive la France! :)

Now ya tell me!

An Iberian union looks to be on the horizon – which would not seem to be good news at all for France. Should Spain decide to take her ambitions north of the Pyrenees, we could be seeing some hard-fought wars. No doubt they'd be incredibly interesting to read about, though! :)

Good to see expansion in India, also. I imagine the profits from Indian trade will be very nice indeed. They'll certainly help cushion the financial burden of fighting so many wars. Will you be looking to strike against the Empire once your troop shave had the chance to rest?

Yes the next section is going to be on the war going on in Alsace and on the Alps

So England and France are stuck in this awkward alliance?

Is there a world overview map anywhere?

There is not, so this is a quick mock up of the major powers in Lords of France as of the end of this war (which I plan to put in the section after this one with a bit more polishing)

Attachments

• world 1660.png
    world 1660.png
    186,7 KB · Views: 118
Those are some big empires! I approve! :)

Yeah! Christmas momod has a great atmosphere where empires do blob but only to a certain extent. So on the one hand you do see stuff like an early Prussia or Italy, but on the other hand you don't see a massive austria or a Russia that controls all of its historic land by 1670

Hey guys I have a general question that I'll let you decide

What should I call Italy's and England's south American colonies? Venezuela, New Granada, Argentina and the Plata were all named by Spaniards, and I haven't referred to them because I honestly haven't thought of what I would call them. So I'm putting this on you guys, you can jointly decide what I'm going to call the Italian colonies, and English Argentina (and for the Dutch I figure that the French speaking Dutch would just use the names of the French colonies they took over in Brazil, and that 'Louisiana' works as a tribute to Louis XI)

Hey guys I have a general question that I'll let you decide

What should I call Italy's and England's south American colonies? Venezuela, New Granada, Argentina and the Plata were all named by Spaniards, and I haven't referred to them because I honestly haven't thought of what I would call them. So I'm putting this on you guys, you can jointly decide what I'm going to call the Italian colonies, and English Argentina (and for the Dutch I figure that the French speaking Dutch would just use the names of the French colonies they took over in Brazil, and that 'Louisiana' works as a tribute to Louis XI)

Beornia or Albion maybe for the british colonies

Maybe Etruria for the italians?

"Venezuela" means "Little Venice", which you might want to consider. Its original, more Italian-looking name was "Venezziola". As for Argentina, maybe something referencing silver? The "Silver Coast", considering there's also a Gold and Ivory Coast. Similarly, you could reference the River Plate in some way.

Given that the British have very little creativity in naming places (see: New England, New Hampshire, New South Wales, New Hebrides, New York), something new like New Cumberland, or perhaps New Essex seems in order.

Alright so Italian South America is Venezziola and English Argentina is going to be some boring name (maybe New Ireland or New Aberdeen). What would we go with for the Italian west indies?

Alright so Italian South America is Venezziola and English Argentina is going to be some boring name (maybe New Ireland or New Aberdeen). What would we go with for the Italian west indies?

As disappointed as I am that Britain will have to settle for some wholly unoriginal names, I'll help you further. :p

Which islands do Italy hold? I can get you some translations as a base, if you like.

can't remember if you kept columbus as discoverer of the new world, if you did then something with his name in italian? cristoforo colombo, seeing as how he was italian and all

As disappointed as I am that Britain will have to settle for some wholly unoriginal names, I'll help you further. :p

Which islands do Italy hold? I can get you some translations as a base, if you like.

Perhaps a compromise, New Albion?

Right now Italy controls the islands of Java, Sumatra, and the Malaysia peninsula

Who formed Italy, what country?

Nuovo Firenze?

Nominally I would say Modena but it's more like Cosimo de Medici gained control of the army and bureaucracy

Perhaps a compromise, New Albion?

It's certainly better than New Essex – one of those is enough. :p

Right now Italy controls the islands of Java, Sumatra, and the Malaysia peninsula

Java, though there is some doubt, may come from a Sanskrit word meaning 'barley', in which case "Isola di Orzo" may be a start. Sumatra at this time, apparently didn't have a name in the Western world, but it was known in ancient times as the 'Isle of Gold', which would be "Isola d'Oro", which is incredibly similar to Java. Malaysia, meanwhile, was known by the more generic "Malaios" by the West – the Portuguese, especially.

Hope this is of some help! :)

That sounds great Densley, thank you a lot!

Sorry for the lack of activity guys, but I'm absolutely swamped between moving out of my current apartment and the last month of finals work (why any professor would assign projects as well as finals is beyond me, because I'm going to have to re-study the last several months of classwork that I've merely skimmed in order to focus more attention on my projects, which have little to do with the broader topic of the class). However within a week and a half I'll be completely free and able to do some freaking work on this thing

Sorry for the lack of activity guys, but I'm absolutely swamped between moving out of my current apartment and the last month of finals work (why any professor would assign projects as well as finals is beyond me, because I'm going to have to re-study the last several months of classwork that I've merely skimmed in order to focus more attention on my projects, which have little to do with the broader topic of the class). However within a week and a half I'll be completely free and able to do some freaking work on this thing

The end of a semester is always the worst, and I think everyone knows and understands that! I once had a friend who informed me that he had all projects/presentations in his five classes instead of traditional finals... while I'm always ok with having a project or presentation instead of a final, there does come a point when I'd rather take a traditional test instead of having to do a bunch of work well-knowing that I still have to make room for other classes!

Although, I will readily admit - having to write and give lectures/presentations can be a drain too.

And because you have mentioned having taken (possible multiple) historiography classes, are you in, or going to do, graduate work in history?

No I'm in a public policy program and I dunno, if I get a PhD it'd be in history but this program has completely exhausted my desire to do academic stuff as of now. Also the stuff that I care about (wage policy & labor policy) are heating up right now and I dunno what's going to be going on in the ~2-4 years it'd take to get my PhD