• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Why is Austria just sitting by and letting this happen? Is Italy friendly with the Holy Roman Empire? Or is the emperor busy with the Ottomans?

EDIT: My comment started a new page, Latest (awesome) update is one page back.

Why is Austria just sitting by and letting this happen? Is Italy friendly with the Holy Roman Empire? Or is the emperor busy with the Ottomans?

EDIT: My comment started a new page, Latest (awesome) update is one page back.

Italy is allied with Austria now and took the exceedingly rare "ask the emperor for the iron crown' path to Italian unification. This also means that Italy becomes an elector sometime around now (when the Dutch rescind their HRE membership)

Last edited:
My god!! Thanks to this I'm going to put off rewriting my cover letter in order to bring you guys the next entry!

The war of unification was brutal indeed, and has created a tense balance of power in Italy. With France seemingly unable to impose her will on her neighbours, she must be feeling fairly vulnerable.

I hope that you managed to finish rewriting your cover letter as well as this excellent update!

The war of unification was brutal indeed, and has created a tense balance of power in Italy. With France seemingly unable to impose her will on her neighbours, she must be feeling fairly vulnerable.

Yeah, while I did support Naples in the 1624 war, I wholly unexpected Modena (who had been on relatively good terms with me) to move away from my sphere and the war declaration almost led to a reload.

I hope that you managed to finish rewriting your cover letter as well as this excellent update!

I'm nearly done--I'm taking a risk and not doing it by a format which takes a while longer but might lead to better results

lordsoffrance4a.jpg

The Parisian People’s Army

Excerpted from La Belgica, April 1766

In these troubled times, so many expert and learned men have looked to the past for answers. They ask for parallels, they look for similarities, and they see only what their vision can show them. To a man bred of nobility, educated by the nobility, whose only friends and companions are of the nobility, it seems an easy task to ignore the plights and lives of the common people of France. And so the printing presses of Paris have trumpeted out a series of fool’s histories of the Fronde, a series which have been gobbled up by the chattering classes. These lords of France look to the past, and should we be surprised when they see only lords? Should we be surprised that they viewed one of the defining civil events of our country, an event in which hundreds of thousands fought and died, as a dueling ground for a half dozen men? No, we should not. The lords of our country see the workers as chattel, and who would reserve a place for chattel in the prestigious parlor of history?

Louis_Niedermeyer_La_Fronde.jpg

In our nation, where nine tenths of the population live without a ‘de’ in their name, we have consigned history to be the history of that remaining tenth

Parlor is the perfect word, for these lords and ladies look upon our current strife as a strife born of the parlor, a place where the select few treat each other as equals while their servants feed their every whim. But no! Civil strife is not merely a parlor, it is not merely a bleached discourse between two rivaling philosophers. In a civil war, thousands of men choose to fight, and die for the beliefs they hold. And should it even be questioned, readers, in a time when a quarter of men still lived in abject serfdom and where another half was bound to an utterly feudal arrangement, that the majority of the men who died in the Fronde, who fought in the Fronde, and who chose sides in the Fronde, were commoners?

No, it should not be questioned. And yet the lack of agency given to the people now is oh so charitably extended to the past, leaving a history that barely mentions the parliamentary fronde, that has never heard of the peasants fronde. And given that I have already described the peasants fronde in previous publications, I will spend time here to discuss why the parliamentary fronde came about, a discussion which is horridly missing in the histories of our beloved philosophes.

It began, as so many other things did at the time, with the collapse of the army of de Tellier at Luxembourg. The loss of this army, and the annexation of the county of Luxembourg, led to a totally different military situation. Henri had long relied on his Flemish fortresses and his sizable navy to deter any threat from the Netherlands. But now with the loss of Luxembourg, the Dutch forces were able to strike directly towards their two goals: Paris and Lorraine.

WarofUnification_zpsc0cf8d91.jpg

The Dutch Army’s progress to 1652

While the Dutch republic immensely desired the French lowlands, what they most wanted was the freedom of the Huguenot holy land: Lorraine, which had been home to Jean Calvin and the Duke of Lorraine, the first French ruler to convert to Calvinism. It remained the largest den of Protestantism in France, and the liberation of the Duchy was one of the Dutch Parliament’s dreams.

But while Lorraine was the foci of all the Huguenot exiles, Henri was far more concerned about the loss of Paris and the incipient loss of the Lowlands. But as the Dutch came ever closer, France was still without an army to defend its capitol. This led Henri to desperation, and he chose the only option available to him: asking the people of Paris, Bruges and Mons to rise up and form an army of France. In Paris, children ran through the streets warning of the coming Huguenot menace, Bishops compelled all Frenchmen to take action, and merchants were compelled to provide funds for a massive conscription of mercenaries. And within a month, Henri was at the head of an army of 80,000 men, most of whom were volunteers.

The_King_s_Horse_at_the_Battle_of_Ramillies.jpg

The 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th Royal Cavalry were comprised of volunteer aristocrats who fought in what was then called the “New Crusade” against heresy

Although Henri had never himself led an army, he had a great deal of knowledge from his studies of classical literature and his readings of Louis XII’s and Villenueve’s work. He thus split his army into four corps, and moved to surround the army marching on Paris.

The French Army, comprised of the 1st and 2nd Parisian People’s Army (40,000 infantry moslty from the streets of Paris and run by a group of bourgeois officers), the 1st Royal Army (a unit of mercenaries recruited mostly from Switzerland and under the command of Henri II), and the Burgundian Ducal Army (an army of Burgundian serfs, under the command of the Duke of Burgundy), moved to counter the Dutch siege of Riems. With the force split in four and a significant advantage in numbers, Henri was able to counteract the Dutch army’s skirmishers and surround the Dutch forces before they could react. The battle of Reims was a total victory, with only 12,000 French casualties to 40,000 Dutch killed and captured. With this victory, Paris was safe from invasion.

1745%2BBattle-of-Fontenoy.jpg

The guards of the French Swiss Guard look over a trench before being given the order to charge. In the end, the Battle of Reims was decided by a massive infantry charge consisting of 15,000 men

Now Henri was faced with a decision, a decision borne of his own fears. His own reign had nearly been ended by a people’s revolt, and now he was at the head of an army of 30,000 peasants, workers, and vagrants. He wrote that he feared for his life every night he slept in the same vicinity as those ‘lowlifes, brought off the street, angered with rhetoric and ready to kill’. So he made a decision, a decision which directly led to both the Aristocratic and Parliamentary Frondes.

He disbanded the Parisian People’s Army.

That was the source of the Fronde, not some philosophical debate, not an argument over the direction of French culture. The aristocrats were threatened by the rise of the bourgeoisie, and in a single move Henri betrayed the people, weakened the bourgeoisie, and made the aristocrats the only military force in all of France. Of course the cities would rebel! The common man of Paris had left his home, goaded by propaganda, to fight the Dutch menace, would discover only three years later that Henri would capitulate to their dreaded foes and give them what they most wanted. Who would not rebel under such circumstances?

And this betrayal is the greatest parallel to our current time. The king asked for the help of the people, he goaded them into it, and then what does he do? He betrays us. For such is the lot of lords.

La Fronde!!!!

For a 9/9/9 monarch Henri is really good at making bad choices. Looking forward to the Fronde/s

Just read the last three updates, fantastic stuff. I'm really liking your use of 'primary sources' but the traditional history book stuff is still great. Italy seems in a very interesting position.

As to Henri making quite a lot of mistakes, one it wouldn't be much fun if he was perfect and two logic and a good education can always be trumped by fear and bias. Which what seems to have effected the king here.

So... on to the Fronde!

Exactly. Henri is my take on the 'perfect, reforming leader' who shows up in a lot of AARs, who's reforms are a product of his genius and are accepted as such. Henri has two major flaws for him: firstly, his main goal is the creation of a powerful merchant/bourgeoisie class, but no such group really exists in France as of yet. Secondly Henri distrusts everyone outside of himself, and, above all, distrusts the mass of the people, which nearly brought him down in his childhood. These flaws overshadow his strengths during his life, and it's only decades later, when the trends he began start to play out, that he's really appreciated.

And yes, on we go to the Fronde!

The Fronde(s) is going to be a serious challenge.
Le Voltigeurs de Quebec are going to be interesting

Les Voltigeurs du Québec

Even if I never catch up, I thought I'd make good on my promises and finally comment here. Cracking stuff, Merrick. La Fronde will definitely make interesting reading. Until then, I'll look to catch up where I can.

lordsoffrance4a.jpg

The Treaty of Metz

Excerpted from the first chapter of Lords of France by the Duc de Tocqueville​

The Fronde was the beginning of the modern era, but one cannot interrogate the events of the Fronde without first discussing the events which preceded it. The greatest of these events was the humiliating Treaty of Metz, signed in 1654 by Henri II de Bourbon King of France, Jean de Valois Marshal of the United Provincial Army, Cosimo di Medici Doge of Sardinia, and Eric XV af Hesse-Kassel Emperor of Scandinavia. The Treaty was prompted by the surrenders of Bruges and Mons to the Dutch and the rising of separatist rebels in Brittany. With his armies occupied by revolts across almost all of France and armies in sight of Lyons, Toulouse and Paris, Henri moved to the negotiating table. His position was greatly weakened, for he barely had a standing army worthy of the name, his navy had been pinned in by the Scandinavian and Dutch navies, and without defenses the French colonies had been cannibalized by her foes.

occupations_zps999836a5.png

The occupations in continental France as of 1654. Outside of French China, the French Caribbean and Quebec, most of France’s colonies were also occupied

WIth almost no leverage, Henri turned to the last advantage France had: the competence of her diplomatic corps. Separate delegations were sent to each of the belligerents against France, each with the mission of discovering the goals of France’s enemies and how those goals conflicted with the other members of the anti-French coalition. A ceasefire was arranged with the Dutch and the Italians, and a congress was organized in Metz to negotiate the peace settlement. It was then when Henri unleashed a series of surprises upon his enemies: a majority of Henri’s offers were symbolic measures such as the recognition of Italy as a Kingdom or of Scandinavia as an Empire, his acceptance of the Rhenish Confederation’s transformation into the Palatinate of the Rhine, or of his devolution of powers to the city states of Nizze and Bruges. France also allowed the county of Luxembourg to pass specifically to Jean de Valois, a move by Henri, who knew that the internal politics of the Dutch Republic were highly unstable and that a Dutch monarchy would be less bellicose than a Protestant republic.

These offers, which were aimed at reducing the amount of land France would have to lose, were exactly what Scandinavia and Italy wanted. But symbolic gestures would not be enough; and given Henri’s love for the Lowlands and the mercantile elite it possessed, France would have to give up the majority of her peripheral colonies in order to avoid their loss. She would lose her African slave colonies to Italy and Scandinavia, her ‘first colonies’ (that is, Newfoundland and Greenland) to Scandinavia, and most importantly, French Antartique to the Dutch. Furthermore, she would cede the county of Savoie to the newly formed Kingdom of Italy.

But even these, all together, would not sate the desires of her foes. The War of Unification in Germany had been soundly lost by the French side, and the War led to a major rebalancing in the region in favor of Saxony-Thuringia. But most importantly of all, the Huguenot holy land of Lorraine would gain independence from France.

TreatyofMetz_zpsa9e242ec.png

French losses on the continent during the treaty of Metz

Though France entered the negotiations in a position of great weakness, she had managed to emerge mostly intact. Henri’s diplomatic acumen led to France keeping Elsas, the Lowlands, and much of Southern France. Furthermore, the creation of the Kingdom of Italy was a blessing in disguise, for it forced the Pope to move back to Avignon for much of his dealings, leading to a French influence in the Papacy unparalleled since the times of Louis XI. Lastly, Henri’s ability to turn the allies against each other meant that the coalition would dissolve soon after the war, leading to French diplomatic possibilities in the years to come.

World1655_zpsdc687a41.png

The world as of 1653

But France had lost much too, and the humiliation impounded on the French state had made her rebellions all the worse. The continued weakness of the French Army combined with the massive unpopularity of Henri, a man who had brought the masses on a crusade against Protestant menace only to cede much of France’s Huguenot territory to them, led many of the aristocracy to see an opening. Amongst these noblemen was Juan de Bourgogne, the Catholic zealot who had commanded French forces to victory throughout most of the war. His personal guard, the Armee de Bourgogne, was thirty thousand strong and was the largest concentration of troops in all of France.

On the ride back to Paris, Henri and his family stopped at the estate of Francois de Moselle, the new Duke of Lorraine. His family ate, drank, and spent the night there under the guard of the troops of de Bourgogne. As they returned to the road, Duc Juan asked Henri what he thought the Kingdom of France would do now that it was weakened by the loss of so many territories. Henri responded: “we shall trade, and we shall consolidate, and we shall find allies with similar interests to ours: perhaps England”. Juan was confused: didn’t the war prove that a large army was necessary, and now that France’s protestant provinces were lost would it not be best to ally with the Catholic powers, with Spain, with Austria, even with Italy?

Upon hearing this, Frederic Prince of France, who had been riding alongside the Marshal and his father, burst into laughter, and asked “What reason would we have to ally with the Hapsburgs”. The younger son, Andre, also laughed and pointed out to Bourgogne that France had just been at war with Italy. Bourgogne bristled: if there was one thing he hated, it was having his intelligence insulted. Henri stopped his sons, and told Bourgogne that France would never ally herself with the Hapsburgs, who would subsume France’s interests in the name of some abstract idea of Catholicism.” Bourgogne was livid. “The last time France broke with her Catholic brethren, we opened the path for these heresies! And you would rather continue bartering with these foes of Christianity than act as a true French King!”

We can only guess to what Henri II thought in the last minutes of his life, as he looked at the enraged Bourgogne. A practical man may have backed down, and considered the means to disempower the Marshal later on. But Henri was a proud man, a distrustful man, and he did not beg, he did not ask for mercy. Instead he looked to Bourgogne and said “You will never understand the problems of a lord of France. But let it be known: If I were Catholic, Protestant, or Muslim, I am King of France, and I will not be threatened by a holder of slaves.”

Henri II’s whole family was massacred by Bourgogne’s men, and soon afterwards a carriage arrived in Paris with the bodies of the former royal family. A message was pinned to the carriage:

article-1338777-0C7E33A4000005DC-206_223x295.jpg

“The fool King Henri II is dead, and I declare myself John III of France. Join me, and we shall begin a new era of heroism”​

This event began discussions across all of France: should they accept the claim of a competent and Catholic King, even if he be a regicide? Henri was massively disliked, yes, but Bourgogne was not universally loved either. In particular, Gaston d’Orleans pondered what he should do. He had no love for Henri or the order Henri represented, but he was if anything a man who was loyal to France. Furthermore, his time in the South-East of France had given him a far more tolerant view of religion than Bourgogne had, and Gaston feared that John’s reign would be ruinous. The last straw was an order he received from John, telling him that he should accept Inquisitor d’Urphin coming to meet him, and cooperate in the activities of d’Urphin in setting up a new Gascon Inquisition on penalty of death.

Gaston had suffered his own persecution over his life, and would not stand for this. In the summer of 1653, Gaston declared himself the true heir of the House of Bourbon and was christened Louis XIII on the Bordeaux streets.

220px-Philippe_IV_espagne.jpg
220px-Sébastien_Bourdons-Karl_X_Gustav.jpg

The competing Kings of the Fronde, John III de Bourgogne and Louis XIII de Bourbon-Orleans

Just as Louis XII was declared King of France by the Bordeaux clergy, revolts were unfolding across the rest of France. Parliamentarians in Lyons, Paris, and across all the Lowlands revolted seeking the same level of independence given to Bruges. Bretons revolted for religious independence, and the inquisitors sent to Brittany were all hung. And while much of the bourgeoisie and the lower nobility allied with Louis XII, the upper nobility, and especially the serf holding aristocracy. The Fronde had truly begun.

Ah Henri obstinately stupid until the end...For a man who prided himself on surviving so much he seemed to lack a lot of survival instinct.
Jean III vs Louis XII...Jean is going to have to work to overcome his regicidist and intolerant reputation but does have a large organized body of troops in the Paris region.
Louis is far from Paris which could both help and hurt him depending on the moves of Jean.
All in all France should be wracked with turmoil especially with the Pope calling Avignon home and the Inquisition running wild

Ah Henri obstinately stupid until the end...For a man who prided himself on surviving so much he seemed to lack a lot of survival instinct.
Jean III vs Louis XII...Jean is going to have to work to overcome his regicidist and intolerant reputation but does have a large organized body of troops in the Paris region.
Louis is far from Paris which could both help and hurt him depending on the moves of Jean.
All in all France should be wracked with turmoil especially with the Pope calling Avignon home and the Inquisition running wild

Yeah he retained his pride to the degree that it killed him. Luckily I don't think France is going to have any other genius kings (I don't think it could survive another!)

It`s on!!!

Hella!

The Fronde(s) is going to be a serious challenge.
Le Voltigeurs de Quebec are going to be interesting

Yeah Quebec is one of the few regions where I've worked out its history far past the end of the game.

Even if I never catch up, I thought I'd make good on my promises and finally comment here. Cracking stuff, Merrick. La Fronde will definitely make interesting reading. Until then, I'll look to catch up where I can.

Thank you so much for the comment and I hope that the Fronde does make for interesting reading!

Last edited:
Well, I can see that France will remain unstable for the time being. It doesn't matter what alternate timeline you're in, it would seem; some things never change. ;)

Dramatic but in the end I guess Henri was a fool. Reminds me of the unbudgable nature of Charles I of England.

Is the second to last sentence correct, did you mean to write Jean has the support of the upper nobility? At present it reads like Louis/Gaston has the support of everyone and only has the admittedly useful, 30,000 troops. But France isn't Ancient Rome, marching through the streets of the capital doesn't equal a victory here.