• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(254030)

First Lieutenant
3 Badges
Jan 24, 2011
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Heir to the Throne
My hiatus due to finals is almost over, and I'd be more than willing to moderate. I should be able to do so for a good two months at least without interruption, and even then I should be able to make contact again after only fairly reasonable periods.

I have been toying with an idea from the next one, it is more specific than a global scale, and it is based on Dies the Fire. Any interest?

EDIT: see below. Vote on your interest in several categories, and I will patch the rules to compensate for the will of the majority.

Last edited:
Tempted, but I dont should really focus on getting the new Kingdom game up and running.

Good to know that there's some interest.

1. Since I plan on basing the game on Dies the Fire, I planned on having it be on a regional/US scale rather than a global scale, to keep in context. Is this alright with those of you interested so far?

2. Should I incorporate the possibility of magic/fate in the books into the game?

3. Would you rather it be more complex or more streamlined? I have two differing rule-sets I'm working on, each dealing with and without magic as a subset.

If I get five or six more players I'll start right away. I plan on waiting at least a week, however. We'll see.

Good to know that there's some interest.

1. Since I plan on basing the game on Dies the Fire, I planned on having it be on a regional/US scale rather than a global scale, to keep in context. Is this alright with those of you interested so far?

2. Should I incorporate the possibility of magic/fate in the books into the game?

3. Would you rather it be more complex or more streamlined? I have two differing rule-sets I'm working on, each dealing with and without magic as a subset.

If I get five or six more players I'll start right away. I plan on waiting at least a week, however. We'll see.

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Prefer complex, but will settle for whatever.

Tempted, but I dont should really focus on getting the new Kingdom game up and running.

Hey, how about a deal? I play Kingdom, you play this! It could work. Inter-game politics could be interesting too. YOU GAVE ME A BAD ROLL! YOUR GENERALS ALL DIE IN A FIRE NOW! :rofl:

A complete description detailing what this "Imperium Offtopicum" is, as well as what its rules are, would be greatly appreciated. As of the moment, there is a noticeable dearth of any written summary regarding this particular subject. Due to this fact, I am unfortunately unable to neither formulate nor express an opinion regarding the topic of discussion thread.
Because of the above delineated factors, I am wholly unable to engage in an active discourse on this subject. Having now conveyed my perplexion at what the subject of this discourse is, I therefore present this non-verbal request to you: Could you please divulge the purpose of this discourse so that I may engage in plain text-based discussion regarding whether or not such a thing as is stated in the title of the thread is sufficiently interesting to be proceeded with?

Regards.

Last edited:
A complete description detailing what this "Imperium Offtopicum" is, as well as what its rules are, would be greatly appreciated. As of the moment, there is a noticeable dearth of any written summary regarding this particular subject. Due to this fact, I am unfortunately unable to neither formulate nor express an opinion regarding the topic of discussion thread.
Because of the above delineated factors, I am wholly unable to engage in an active discourse of this subject. Having now conveyed my perplexion at what the subject of this discourse is, I therefore present this non-verbal request to you: Could you please divulge the purpose of this discourse so that I may engage in plain text-based discussion regarding whether or not such a thing as is stated in the title of the thread is sufficiently interesting to be proceeded with.

Regards.

Lots of free time, I take it?

Lots of free time, I take it?

More like: I was being snarky. I tend to do that when I am.

So, back to the currently unanswered question being asked in that admittedly rather verbose - though hopefully not exasperatingly so - mass of text. What is this "Imperium Offtopicum"? The information included in the initial message which marked the start of this thread is quite insufficient.

Last edited:
More like: I was being snarky. I tend to do that when I am.

So, back to the currently unanswered question being asked in that admittedly rather verbose - though hopefully not exasperatingly so - mass of text. What is this "Imperium Offtopicum"? The information included in the initial message which marked the start of this thread is quite insufficient.

Think Multiplayer-Risk.

Think Multiplayer-Risk.

Yes. I suggest you take a look at the previous games; the one I participated in was rather entertaining. I am finishing the rule-sets as stated, and will post them for a vote once I feel confident in their credibility.

After that- another question: to CP or not to CP?

EDIT: rulesets are up; those interested shall have the next week to vote. Feel free to make suggestions.

This is said twice below, but may as well put it again:
Points of contention:
-Streamlined or not?
-Magic?
-CP?

These rulesets are not set in stone; mention anything that should be nerfed or buffed, or removed or added.

If you have any suggestions about magic, feel free to contribute.

As for CP, I am providing the opportunity to opt out, since last game many people were turned off by the time investment required to make quality RP posts.

Last edited:
Complex ruleset:

Game Rules:
As always, the usual. Be respectful of other players, do not ruin the game through spam, and the GM’s word is law. There shall be no photos of personal messages, the posting of which shall result in the immediate termination of your nation. Message me at any time, about any issues you have.

Joining the Game:

Create a nation by downloading the map and coloring in a single territory for your nation. Provide a name for your nation, as well as a leader(s) and select a bonus. You must be at least one territory away from another nation at game start. Feel free to RP as much as you want, including during the game. Does your clan/nation/group/commonwealth/etc. have a dictator? A council? What is their history? How did they get to where they are? Feel free to be a bit wild here, if you so wish. The novel is set in America and it is rather unlikely that naval capabilities would return to a level to transport militaries within the beginning of the game, so I scrapped navies and a global map altogether. But I understand that you might want to be, say, Britain. You could claim, for this pre-game roleplaying, that, say, every British sailing ship made it to Boston somehow, and created the British Boston Commonwealth with the ten-thousand or so settlers on the ships, who then took fealty from the hundred-thousand or so locals who survived. Have fun with it, and be creative. However, I wouldn’t mind a Republic of Texas or some such ‘more likely’ nation in its stead, of course. Each nation begins with the equivalent of 3 military units, which will be discussed later on.

The map:

National Bonuses:

Natural Leadership: Foot-soldiers never have negative morale rolls, +1 to rolls when on defense.

Animal Whisperer: Cavalry never have negative morale rolls, and cannot be destroyed by Charge effects.

Inventive: Start with the ability to make gliders, at tier 2 Glider technology.

Warfare:

Each unit can travel any distance each turn, until a battle is reached ie a new territory.
There are three types of units, each with its own abilities:
Foot-soldiers: The basic game unit, which costs 2 IP. At least one is required to siege territories.
Cavalry: Horsemen who can strike terror in the ranks, which cost 4 IP. Cavalry can charge on offense, which negates defender morale bonuses and gives +1 to the charger’s attack. This has a 15% chance in resulting in the destruction of the Cavalry, if victorious.
Glider: Brave men who dare to fly over the battlefield, dropping buckets of whatever nasty surprises can be found, be it arrowheads to snakes to boiling water; they cost 5 IP each. Do not contribute a dice roll, but automatically add +2 to all defensive dice rolls in its stationed territory. Cannot be used in offense, and are only used inside owned territories. Does not travel, but one can be used to defend any owned territory once per turn, with a maximum of one per battle. Cannot be destroyed in battle, but for each territory relinquished the losing defender loses one glider.
Before each battle is calculated, a 6-sided die is rolled with the following possibilities:

1: -1 to combat rolls
2: -1 to combat rolls
3: 0 change
4: +1 to combat rolls
5: +1 to combat rolls
6: +2 to combat rolls

EDIT: this is morale; it is a general factor for an army. I have edited it a tad.

Then, one unit from each side is paired with one from the other side. A 20-sided die is rolled, and the larger number destroys the other, after morale, charge, glider, and trait effects have been calculated in. Fighting continues until the side with the greater number of soldiers (excluding gliders) has used all its soldiers once. The defender must re-use units to defend against greater numbers.

Natural Leaders begin with 3 Foot-soldiers.

Animal Whisperers begin with 2 Foot-soldiers and 3 IP invested in a Cavalry.

Inventors begin with 2 Foot-soldiers and 4 IP invested in a Glider.

Undefended owned territories shall be automatically given to the conquering player, when attacked by at least one foot soldier. Do not forget that units can travel anywhere, but once engaged in a battle cannot move again that turn; thus, armies will not reach farther than one territory from one’s borders. If you commit all your troops to defending one territory, the enemy could sneak in and take a different one; they are first stationed in whichever territory they are created, and after that in whichever they end their turn. All movements are calculated before battles each turn.

Industry:

Each territory produces 1 IP. Capitals, starting positions, produce 2 IP. It can be used the same turn it is earned, so each nation starts with 2 IP. It can be banked, but a running bank must be mentioned each turn in one’s Orders post. There is also CP, which is earned for roleplaying. It can be banked also, and used as 1IP/1 CP in creating armies or 2IP/1CP investing in technology. The maximum CP possible to be earned per turn is 3, with amount of CP given based holistically and with no set rubric.

Roleplaying:

CP is earned through roleplaying, and sticking to a theme(s) for your nation is a great way to make the game “realistic” and thus have an easier time earning CP. If you have a running feud with a nation, and stick to policies which antagonize this group, there is the possibility of earning CP. Besides this, there is the normal method of having role-playing posts; great examples may be found in previous IO games.

Technology:

There are three tiers of research in each branch, the first costing 25 IP, the second 50, the third 75:

Army:
Tier I (Training): +1 to combat rolls (stacked)
Tier II (Archery School): +2 to combat rolls (stacked)
Tier III (Steel Armor): Negates ¾ the effect of gliders.

Gliders:
Tier I (Breakthrough): Can produce Gliders
Tier II (Hot-air balloons): +2 to effect (stacked)
Tier III (Expert Pilots): +1 to effect (stacked), can use 2 in a battle

Cavalry:
Tier I (Experienced Horses): +1 to effect; lowers chance of negative effect to 10%
Tier II (Bloodlust): +1 to combat rolls (stacked), +2 to effect (stacked); raises chance of negative effect to 20%
Tier III (Professional Riders): +1 to effect (stacked), chance of effect lowered to 5%.

Diplomacy:

This is all on you. You can make any treaty trading anything or agreeing to anything, and break any treaty no matter how binding. They can be secret or public, but remember secret treaties can be a double-edged sword. There is one rule: War between two nations must be publicly announced, before any battles are calculated.

Magic:

As magic eventually became a central theme of the novels, the following system may be implemented:
10 CP/20 IP rolls a die; if a 6 is rolled that nation receives 30 IP as a gift from the Gods. (I really don’t know how to fairly implement divine will, so this sort of luck is all I can think of; having temples built/religious fervor [the investment] provides the chance of earning favor).

Updates:

After I have received half the orders, I will post a 24 hour countdown to the next turn. If I receive fewer than half the orders after three days, I will enact the countdown and message the unresponsive players. YOU are only allowed one Orders post per turn, in which you must place your orders. It must be titled Orders for _________ . For RP posts, you are allowed to fuse them with Orders posts, or make them separate, in their own color of your choice with a title mentioning which nation it is for in some way. For OOC posts, just type in white (this is all for my sake). I will use what is in the FIRST Orders post for each nation per turn in determining what their orders are; these posts must be edited if orders are changed, and their appearance as I am about to calculate the turn determines my calculations for those nations that turn.

The points of contention as of now are:
-CP implementation?
-Magic?
-Is this complexity level good, or should I use the streamlined version (coming up soon?)

If you see any inconsistencies/think anything should be buffed or nerfed, let me know.

Last edited:
Simple ruleset:

Game Rules:
As always, the usual. Be respectful of other players, do not ruin the game through spam, and the GM’s word is law. There shall be no photos of personal messages, the posting of which shall result in the immediate termination of your nation. Message me at any time, about any issues you have.

Joining the Game:

Create a nation by downloading the map and coloring in a single territory for your nation. Provide a name for your nation, as well as a leader(s) and select a bonus. You must be at least one territory away from another nation at game start. Feel free to RP as much as you want, including during the game. Does your clan/nation/group/commonwealth/etc. have a dictator? A council? What is their history? How did they get to where they are? Feel free to be a bit wild here, if you so wish. The novel is set in America and it is rather unlikely that naval capabilities would return to a level to transport militaries within the beginning of the game, so I scrapped navies and a global map altogether. But I understand that you might want to be, say, Britain. You could claim, for this pre-game roleplaying, that, say, every British sailing ship made it to Boston somehow, and created the British Boston Commonwealth with the ten-thousand or so settlers on the ships, who then took fealty from the hundred-thousand or so locals who survived. Have fun with it, and be creative. However, I wouldn’t mind a Republic of Texas or some such ‘more likely’ nation in its stead, of course
The map:

Warfare:

Each unit can travel any distance each turn, until a battle is reached ie a new territory.
There are two types of units, each with its own abilities:
Foot-soldiers: The basic game unit, which costs 2 IP. At least one is required to siege territories.
Cavalry: Horsemen who can strike terror in the ranks, which cost 4 IP. Cavalry can charge on offense, which negates defender morale bonuses and gives +1 to the charger’s attack. This has a 15% chance in resulting in the destruction of the Cavalry, if victorious.
Before each battle is calculated, a 6-sided die is rolled with the following possibilities:
1: -1 to combat rolls
2: -1 to combat rolls
3: 0 change
4: +1 to combat rolls
5: +1 to combat rolls
6: +2 to combat rolls

EDIT: this is morale. it is a general factor for an army. I have reconstructed it a bit.

Then, one unit from each side is paired with one from the other side. A 20-sided die is rolled for each, and the larger number destroys the other, after morale and charge effects have been calculated in. Fighting continues until the side with the greater number of soldiers has used all its soldiers once. The defender must re-use units to defend against greater numbers.
Nations begin with 2 foot-soldiers.
Undefended owned territories shall be automatically given to the conquering player, when attacked by at least one foot soldier. Do not forget that units can travel anywhere, but once engaged in a battle cannot move again that turn; thus, armies will not reach farther than one territory from one’s borders. If you commit all your troops to defending one territory, the enemy could sneak in and take a different one; they are first stationed in whichever territory they are created, and after that in whichever they end their turn. All movements are calculated before battles each turn.

Industry:

Each territory produces 1 IP. Capitals, starting positions, produce 2 IP. It can be used the same turn it is earned, so each nation starts with 2 IP. It can be banked, but a running bank must be mentioned each turn in one’s Orders post. There is also CP, which is earned for roleplaying. It can be banked also, and used as 1IP/1 CP in creating armies. The maximum CP possible to be earned per turn is 3, with amount of CP given based holistically and with no set rubric.

Roleplaying:

CP is earned through roleplaying, and sticking to a theme(s) for your nation is a great way to make the game “realistic” and thus have an easier time earning CP. If you have a running feud with a nation, and stick to policies which antagonize this group, there is the possibility of earning CP. Besides this, there is the normal method of having role-playing posts; great examples may be found in previous IO games.

Diplomacy:

This is all on you. You can make any treaty trading anything or agreeing to anything, and break any treaty no matter how binding. They can be secret or public, but remember secret treaties can be a double-edged sword. There is one rule: War between two nations must be publicly announced, before any battles are calculated.

Magic:

As magic eventually became a central theme of the novels, the following system may be implemented:
10 CP/20 IP rolls a die; if a 6 is rolled that nation receives 30 IP as a gift from the Gods. (I really don’t know how to fairly implement divine will, so this sort of luck is all I can think of; having temples built/religious fervor [the investment] provides the chance of earning favor).

Updates:

After I have received half the orders, I will post a 24 hour countdown to the next turn. If I receive fewer than half the orders after three days, I will enact the countdown and message the unresponsive players. YOU are only allowed one Orders post per turn, in which you must place your orders. It must be titled Orders for _________ . For RP posts, you are allowed to fuse them with Orders posts, or make them separate, in their own color of your choice with a title mentioning which nation it is for in some way. For OOC posts, just type in white (this is all for my sake). I will use what is in the FIRST Orders post for each nation per turn in determining what their orders are; these posts must be edited if orders are changed, and their appearance as I am about to calculate the turn determines my calculations for those nations that turn.

The points of contention as of now are:
-same as last time; should I:
-include CP
-include magic
-streamlined or complex?

If you see any inconsistencies/think anything should be buffed or nerfed, let me know.

Last edited:
Southern Land Grab

Florida-1.jpg

Country Name: Suwannee Administrative Region (SAR)

Leader: Deliah Toruson

Bonus: Natural Leader

The Suwannee Administrative Region (U.S.A.) emerged from the chaos of the Event, centered at the former state capital of Tallahassee.

While the bulk of the nation descended into a chaotic Hades, this region pulled together.

Why? There is no one reason; they weren’t smarter than the rest of America, nor braver, and certainly not wealthier in natural resources. It was not a Utopia, but whereas the surrounding areas fought bitterly among themselves for individual advantage, the people of Suwannee generally strove for the common good. Starvation was rampant, and the die off in the first year was beyond even the numbers of the Holocaust. Yet civil society (even under martial law that would have done the late nation of North Korea proud) never really collapsed. It was a time reminiscent of the Siege of Leningrad, where a grandparent would slowly starve to death to insure the grandchild would have a bit more to eat.

Communities pulled together, for they knew that otherwise the horrors reported in other regions would descend on them. The police, civil authorities, and local military units all performed herculean labors to ensure the security of as much of the populace as possible.

While the goals of twenty-first century science were lost to them, the local colleges, universities, and research centers focused on the rediscovery of the technologies of the late nineteenth. For if electrical power was lost, steam rose from boiling water, and fires still burned hot enough to boil the water. With that alone America conquered a continent a two centuries ago, and could do so again.

Yes, there were no more cars and planes, but the rails could flourish again, and steamships could continue to sail. The bulk of real knowledge was not lost along with the internets. Books still existed. There were scores of Universities in the region, hundreds of public libraries, and thousands of private collections of those tomes of knowledge. With that alone, and the efforts of a determined and educated people, a large degree of civilization could be restored in a relatively short time. Suwannee got to work on living and building the new future.

For the region, the core of the political system was the continued adherence to the Constitution, with those who submitted to Suwannee administration enjoying full protection under those laws. The rump nations’ rationale for existence is as a ‘temporary’ entity (remember Taiwan?), existing only until a duly constituted national government regained control. As time progressed, the temporary nature of the surrounding chaos appeared more permanent, until the people of Suwannee decided that the incorporation into the body politic of the various adjacent lawless and warlord enslaved areas deserved forceful encouragement.

Thus, the Suwannee began its expansion into neighboring areas, both for the political, moral, and economic benefits. They were a people with a revolutionary goal, to restore the U.S.A.

Last edited:
So you're going complex/magic/cp/US, I take it? You already said so, and fair enough; we can reserve that spot and that nation for you. However, I would prefer if we save the game itself for its own thread.

TO everyone else: your votes are appreciated; if nobody says anything, I'll go with bugwar's preference.

1. What are the major plot differences (if any) between the novels and the game?

2. What is the back-story we base our tales on? How long after the collapse of technology does the game start?

3. In game time, how long does each turn last? A week, a month, ten years?