• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Buy Chronicles and get DW. Thats the only one that's still get updates.
This is an important point. All versions have quite a few known unfixed bugs and anything before Divine Wind will never be patched again (and most of those old bugs are fixed in DW although of course it also introduced some new ones).

And without having had a pre DW version you don't even know what to compare it to so you can even complain about it. I started at 5.1 when I got it last summer on steam sometime. I remember forum posts complaining about magistrates but not having played without them I can't say if it's better or worse.

In my opinion EU3 doesn't improve much on EU2. Different view, same underskin, bit more complicated.

General trend in gaming industry is to make more and more complicated things. While it might be fun for MP, SP suffers due to developer's inability to create reasonable AI. EU3 is no exception. Compare it to board game of Go: simple rules and enormous strategical depth.

Except that the UI and ability to view the game alone is improved tenfold if not more. Also what's the relevance? Are you suggesting for him to get EU2 instead of EU3? Lol.

Yeah, UI... It sucks imo. And EU2 can run on netbooks while EU3 crawls ten time slower. Although I prefer EU2, I suggest EU3, since you can get more support from the community.

Eu3 is currently my longest played game on steam with just over 800 hours of game time. I have only owned it for just over a year and work full time. Thats an insane amount of game time for me. Get it, with all the expansions is my opinion.

I own Vicky 2 with AHD and find it so unbelievably complicated. I have racked up 15 hours game play and just have no god damn idea what im doing and have given up trying to learn. Im sure it would be great if i could figure it out though!

Forget all these new-fangled modern games with their over-complicated fancy innovations. Get Pong! Simple rules yet enormous strategic depth.
pong-gif.gif

On a more serious note: I'd say EUIII is shallower but broader; V2 is more complex but has a narrower scope. Personally I prefer EUIII's approach: you'll notice I own both games but I mostly post on the EU forum, not the Vicky one. :)

The cascading alliance/guarantee war issue is indeed a bit annoying sometimes. I usually play with AI agressivity at less than normal, which solves it to a certain point.

In general, EU3 offers a lot of fun and many addicting gaming hours for its money. You can even learn something about history. Definitely go for the chronicles version that includes Divine Wind! Compared to Victoria, EU3 is more focussed on diplomacy, macro economics and grand policy, while Vicky concentrates more on micro economics and social issues of the time period. Both are empire building grand stretegy games and worth to be played.

Still worth to get it? It's the best strategy game ever made. Run to the store and get it. And of course; buy the chronicles version with the excellent Divind Wind expansion included.

The cascading alliance/guarantee war issue is indeed a bit annoying sometimes. I usually play with AI agressivity at less than normal, which solves it to a certain point.

In general, EU3 offers a lot of fun and many addicting gaming hours for its money. You can even learn something about history. Definitely go for the chronicles version that includes Divine Wind! Compared to Victoria, EU3 is more focussed on diplomacy, macro economics and grand policy, while Vicky concentrates more on micro economics and social issues of the time period. Both are empire building grand stretegy games and worth to be played.

Cascading alliances is fixed in the beta patch, and guarantee war is working as designed imo.

Imho, V2 can be very boring. To me, it feels more like a simulation and not a game. You can sit, click the Text-Boxes, do nothing - and in the end your County is among the first. In EU3 you have a lot more to do.
On the other hand, V2 is more immersive, because it simulates the given time-period better. The Technology-Tree is better, the graphics are better and the UI is better.