• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(60162)

Second Lieutenant
Aug 23, 2006
I am currenty on Gavelkind succession, and may ot be able to change this for a generation or two. I have an over-sized demense, which I plan to reduce.

At present, I have 2 sons, and 13 counties. My second son is only getting one county, but it is a core in my main duchy. I don't want to give it away, I spend money and time developing it, and if he gets it, I'll have to live with years of "desires duchy of Leon". I have lots of other counties he could have.

I've even noticed that if I give him lands before I die, secondary heirs still inherits something else of my core when I die.

Is there any way to control/influence what counties my sons get, and limit them away from my main duchy?

Thanks.

I managed this problem using Free Investiture. This allows you to give the sons you dont want to inherit anything to the church, which will strip them from all their claims.

serathions advice is a good one. i usually kill my wife if i have gavelkind once i have a male heir. after that, i simply marry another one that is already 40+ of age with preferably nice stats :)

serathions advice is a good one. i usually kill my wife if i have gavelkind once i have a male heir. after that, i simply marry another one that is already 40+ of age with preferably nice stats :)

I wouldn't do that. The big reason is that 1 male son can get some bad traits/stats and then you have a problem.

I let the nature take the course and let say I end up with 4 sons. The things I am looking at are - when born do they have something like hunchback? = kill on sight; as they grow up, they must develop diplomacy and stewardship stats (when you get him married you compensate with wife to boost stats) and if not = kill on sight; then starts the education and they must have good traits because if they get something like craven = kill on sight; and who survives to 16 is the heir :)

Watch out that you are on 1 son after you pass 50 years. Always remove king from leading troops and they all live at least 50 years. And the only son that has left, has to be married after 16 so he can start to produce kids.

Always hire foreign courtier for spymaster with min stat of 23 so the killing goes very, very easy.

Cities are always elective, but if there are male adults of your dynasty in the court (the old mayor's sons) they have a good chance of being elected. The only problem is that you have to offer them marriages manually, because they won't marry anyone by themselves.

I wouldn't do that. The big reason is that 1 male son can get some bad traits/stats and then you have a problem.

assassinations have become somewhat expensive so, if i must choose between my realm being split due to gavelkind and on the other hand a single heir that might have bad stats, i definitely choose the latter. my heirs get educated by the most brilliant so they usually get very high stats anyway

I usually give all my land to my main son once death seems within reach or the outer lands are the ones im losing( E.G. russian steppes as a swedish king.)

I'd just give the surplus demesne to your primary heir and just let gavelkind do what it's supposed to do: Reclaim your land through conquest from your brother instead of murdering your sons.