+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: controlling Gavelkind Succession

controlling Gavelkind Succession

I am currenty on Gavelkind succession, and may ot be able to change this for a generation or two. I have an over-sized demense, which I plan to reduce.

At present, I have 2 sons, and 13 counties. My second son is only getting one county, but it is a core in my main duchy. I don't want to give it away, I spend money and time developing it, and if he gets it, I'll have to live with years of "desires duchy of Leon". I have lots of other counties he could have.

I've even noticed that if I give him lands before I die, secondary heirs still inherits something else of my core when I die.

Is there any way to control/influence what counties my sons get, and limit them away from my main duchy?

Thanks.

Killing your other heirs is always the easiest way to prevent important stuff being given away to them.

Quote Originally Posted by BalanceofTerror View Post
    Killing your other heirs is always the easiest way to prevent important stuff being given away to them.
    'Tis quite sad that our most effective strategy is just to murder one's own family.

I managed this problem using Free Investiture. This allows you to give the sons you dont want to inherit anything to the church, which will strip them from all their claims.

serathions advice is a good one. i usually kill my wife if i have gavelkind once i have a male heir. after that, i simply marry another one that is already 40+ of age with preferably nice stats

Quote Originally Posted by Octavio View Post
    serathions advice is a good one. i usually kill my wife if i have gavelkind once i have a male heir. after that, i simply marry another one that is already 40+ of age with preferably nice stats
    I wouldn't do that. The big reason is that 1 male son can get some bad traits/stats and then you have a problem.

I let the nature take the course and let say I end up with 4 sons. The things I am looking at are - when born do they have something like hunchback? = kill on sight; as they grow up, they must develop diplomacy and stewardship stats (when you get him married you compensate with wife to boost stats) and if not = kill on sight; then starts the education and they must have good traits because if they get something like craven = kill on sight; and who survives to 16 is the heir

Watch out that you are on 1 son after you pass 50 years. Always remove king from leading troops and they all live at least 50 years. And the only son that has left, has to be married after 16 so he can start to produce kids.

Always hire foreign courtier for spymaster with min stat of 23 so the killing goes very, very easy.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionMount & Blade: Warband
    CK2: Holy Knight500k club

Sorry to hijack thread, but if i give my son ownership of a city, will his sons takeover when he dies?

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    Sorry to hijack thread, but if i give my son ownership of a city, will his sons takeover when he dies?
    Depending the inheritance law.

Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionMount & Blade: Warband

Which one must i have?

and does that goes for a castle aswell? / barony?

Which one must i have?

and does that goes for a castle aswell? / barony?
    Gavelkind one. It includes all land title.

Quote Originally Posted by vz02 View Post
    Depending the inheritance law.
    Aren't cities always elective?

Quote Originally Posted by blackfire83 View Post
    Aren't cities always elective?
    I must admit I am not 100% sure, but see no reason why they should be always elective. It's easy to test. Log into some saved game you have and revoke a title and hoover over the shield.

Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDungeonland
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: WarshipsMagickaMarch of the Eagles
    Rome GoldSemper FiSengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    StarvoidThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesHearts of Iron: The Card GameCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderTeleglitch: Die More Edition

Cities are always elective, but if there are male adults of your dynasty in the court (the old mayor's sons) they have a good chance of being elected. The only problem is that you have to offer them marriages manually, because they won't marry anyone by themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by vz02 View Post
    I wouldn't do that. The big reason is that 1 male son can get some bad traits/stats and then you have a problem.
    assassinations have become somewhat expensive so, if i must choose between my realm being split due to gavelkind and on the other hand a single heir that might have bad stats, i definitely choose the latter. my heirs get educated by the most brilliant so they usually get very high stats anyway

I usually give all my land to my main son once death seems within reach or the outer lands are the ones im losing( E.G. russian steppes as a swedish king.)

Barony stays within if i run gravelkind then? but not cities?

I'd just give the surplus demesne to your primary heir and just let gavelkind do what it's supposed to do: Reclaim your land through conquest from your brother instead of murdering your sons.

Can i mod so cities become gravelkind? and not elective?

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Can i mod so cities become gravelkind? and not elective?
    "Gravelkind".

Given that cities are almost always just a single holding, "gravelkind" is just primogeniture, basically.

Does anyone knows why are cities always open elective? Some history insight?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast