• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

The-Doc

Lt. General
53 Badges
Apr 16, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Darkest Hour
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • BATTLETECH
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
I like to edit my saves as I play to give cores for long held territories, make sure major powers lead alliances, and basically save the AI from itself sometimes. Now I've gotten pretty good at not screwing things up, but every now and then something gets by me (in this case it causes immediate CTD). Is there any kind of utility for checking save game files for errors or editing them?

Since the save game cfg files are functionally equivalent to scenario files (as far as I know), any tool that could fully check scenario files for errors should theoretically also be able to check save files if they're moved out of the "Save Games" folder and into the "Scenarios" parent directory. Unfortunately, in practice tools for validating scenarios have focused only on what is generally found in non-save-game cfg files, and so they usually yield thousands of false-positive errors if used to validate save games. However, if you are using Jamie550's Clausewitz Validator (found here), you might be able to edit the database to remove those false positives... though I imagine it would be rather tedious work.

I did try the Validator once, crashed it and then decided to ask for an easier way. I'll mess around with it some more, and try moving the files as you suggest. Thank you.

every time I edit the save game on notepad, it gives me errors..I am playing as Byzantine and trying to add a COT on the EEG file, the error is like, it can't find the provinces for the other COT's so weird. I've been playing this game since EU1 and this is weird. What am I missing?

I've been editing saves with 1.3 willy nilly, with no problems (other than an occasional mess up on my part)

What are you doing to add a cot? There is nothing more to it than copying and pasting an existing cot in the game file, and editing the location as appropriate. Be sure to also delete any actively traveling merchants from the new cot, so that you don't have merchants traveling to two places.

Other than that, some of the most common screw ups in editing save games that I've learned to avoid are:

* If you delete a province, for example a colony of someone, then be sure that there are no ships in the port that will no longer exist: this will crash the game. Easiest way to do this is to search for "location = x", where x is the id of the province you are deleting the colony of. Likewise, be sure there is not a CoT in the province that you are deleting. If there is, you will also have to delete the CoT (or move it elsewhere).
* If you delete a unit, be sure that it is not currently in combat/siege, or the game will crash. The easiest way is to search the file for the id of the unit.
* If colonizing, the province (in the top part of the file) has information on the active colonization, but there is also something entitled "mecenat" at the very bottom of the file. You will need to change both if you want to edit anything about an active colonist.
* If you edit the dates of an active process, such as if you want to speed up a missionary, then be sure to leave a positive number of days between the start date and the end date. Making them the same date will crash the game (or at least it used to)
* If you want to properly change the relation between countries A and B, you both have to edit A's opinion of B, and B's opinion of A (which should be the same number).