• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not true! I gave the USA loads of extra units. I also keep giving them an influx of National Guard infantry for the first few months. The USA is a big place and yes, it does look empty, but only because the units are all concentrated up near nova scotia against ENG.

Lots of times, the USA actually annex Canada AND Mexico, and really only lose the war because it takes SO long to build new ones, and the high dissent.

But don't be surprised that the USA does lose, as they are designed to lose, but not without a fair fight. Their navy is equal to the ENG and JAP navy, so it's just a case of managing the navy, to give a chance of winning.

EDIT: The whole point of the mod is to have a world war 2 with no USA, no D-DAY, no operation husky?, no whatever...

The USA can rise again after ww2, but will have to fight a much stronger GER or SOV or ENG or whatever ... so MORE of a challenge

:O Impossible,or I downloaded the wrong version? For he is literally almost no troops :(

I did Watch it, it was good. FDR Going to lose the next election? din't he win the 36 election in biggest landslide in US history to that pont? I say let Hoover win it in 32 and let repubs get the blame for starting the war and let FDR Win in 36 inheriting a war with the empire from Hoover. staring a war to save the USA is something Hoover may go for, he had no problem using force to kick bonus army out of washington in 32. If he is desperate he will do what he can to save the Hoover admen.

Last edited:
Hey NP I have some more feedback for you after playing the US. I played very lazy which is my usual style. I did fairly well until June when the CSA forms. That really hits your remaining IC hard. So I quit that game. I am pretty sure that if I play smart and not lazy that I can do much better. So I take back all comments about buffing the US. I see that it is an integral part of your mod and I agree with you 100 per cent. I have not tried to play the US after the peace. I will though. It might be nice to have some sort of comeback attempt by the US maybe a year or two after the peace. The obvious target seems to be the CSA. I doubt that Japan or the UK would want to fight to save the CSA. Up to you of course. I would still like to see the Sovs buffed. Another thing you might want to think about is all of the auto alliances. Maybe a small 5 or 10 per cent chance that x does not ally with y. This would just make things less the same sometimes. I know France is supposed to take the place of Germany but, in rl Germany did pretty darn well for 3 or 4 years. I love the idea of UK and Japan being allies. It is also great that the Commonwealth kinda breaks up at this time. So that is my current two cents. Thanks again for a great job.
delanonne

:O Impossible,or I downloaded the wrong version? For he is literally almost no troops :(

@Gukpa: I think it is important to remember that this is only 1936 and the USA has very few armies in 1936. The same with Canada.

I only gave Canada some militia units to help with "citizen defence" committees..

I gave the USA many more infantry and a couple of armour divs...
... then added events to give them "sons of liberty" type militia, citizens arming themselves for self-defence...
... then added events where the National Guard is activated over the next 6 months or so..
.. I made sure the navy was organised the exact same way as the Jap and Eng navies, .. so all in all I did give the USA "some chance".

But the whole point of the mod is not to have the USA involved in WW2 at all.

If the USA do "come back" it is much later on, post WW2 (if it ever ends?), but then they'll have to face much stronger foes, a JAP probably owning half the world, a GER with all the later WW2 weapons and maybe also owning half the world, and ENG etc etc.

So, a much stiffer challenge to the USA player? Hopefully.

EDIT: The USA should hold onto their industry and research, so they will always have that advantage.

I will have to tinker a little more to ensure the USA fails, but not too much, as a lot of the possible changes can last the whole game and I don't want that either.

But I'm very grateful for your feedback, it is helping me hone the mod and make it better, hopefully.

Hi delablake!

This Homeland mod is built on the standard Darkest Hour install, nothing different about it?

I wonder if you've installed it in the correct place? Mine is in: C:\Darkest Hour\Mods\Homeland

... so, I have a Mods folder, and inside that I have 3 other folders.. DH Full, DH Lite, and Homeland.

Then when you run the launcher, you select Homeland on the bottom right menu...?

thanks for your quick response!
Well, do I have to merge your mod with the dh full mod, put or do I have to over-write the whole original dh 1.2 game???
I have merged it with DH full mod, but to no avail.
Maybe I got something completely wrong.

Have you got the 1.02 beta instead of the full patch? this may affect some mods.....I dunno how/where to download the update from though. I'm sure FT or AC will magically appear in a few seconds to provide it :)

well, seemingly I got the right one, as my other checksums are the same as listed.
the problem is, when I copy the dh full folder and merge it with a mod, the result is, in some cases, as with AOU and Homeland, a folder with an unmodded dh 1.2 vanilla. Some other games, like Kaiserreich, Bonaparte Legacy or Hegemonia run flawlessly.
I am sure to have a clean dh full because I killed the old folder and let steam do the update = download an unmodded version.
Making my hunt for the "personal brain bug" quite frustrating.
Any suggestions?
Thx!

thanks for your quick response!
Well, do I have to merge your mod with the dh full mod, put or do I have to over-write the whole original dh 1.2 game???
I have merged it with DH full mod, but to no avail.
Maybe I got something completely wrong.

OK, let's start at the beginning................

You will have something like: C:\Darkest Hour... this is the whole game, the main game folder.

... inside that: you will have different folders:... ai, avi, config, db, gfx.... and a Mods folder... Open that:

Inside that: you will have: Darkest Hour Full, Darkest Hour Light....

what you need to do is this:

Right there, create a new folder called Homeland.
.. extract the download into this folder.

... OR extract the file, and it could very well ask you where you want to extract it to... and create the Homeland folder then.

... when this is all done, go out and back to your desktop, double-click DH icon and get the Launcher.. at the bottom right there is a menu, make the selection for which Mod you wish to play... Darkest Hour is also a mod.. confusing yes.

Hope this helps, get back to me if you need more help, ok.

EDIT: YOU DON'T need to keep copying DH... You have ONE main game, ONE Mods folder, with multiple individual mods within it... and you select which mod to play from the Launcher.

Last edited:
so you included Dh full with the download? i think that's what may have thrown people off.....

I posted the Homeland folder as it is on my pc. It was only 145MB, so no big deal?

If I was to start breaking down the actual files I created or changed, it would end up a total mess trying to explain where they go and what they overwrite, if they even do overwrite anything.. best to just post the folder? Yeah?

Thank you, sir!
I dunno what I did wrong last time, but now everything is fine.
As as rule, do I just have to place the mods in the prefab Modfolder, or is it just your mod that doesn't need merging?
Anyway, I'll have to download all other broken mods and try it out your way.
I'm reallly looking forward to your new oeuvre!
Greetings!

why recommand germany and build build build? would you mind adding a version number to keep track?
and i thought you were always a pro modder nova

Why? Cos I think I have GER done the most and probably the best...

pro-modder... fairly pro at porting mods yes, but only a tinchy winchy, baby-modder as regards "modding". Cheers .. plenty of room for improvement

@Gukpa: I think it is important to remember that this is only 1936 and the USA has very few armies in 1936. The same with Canada.

I only gave Canada some militia units to help with "citizen defence" committees..

I gave the USA many more infantry and a couple of armour divs...
... then added events to give them "sons of liberty" type militia, citizens arming themselves for self-defence...
... then added events where the National Guard is activated over the next 6 months or so..
.. I made sure the navy was organised the exact same way as the Jap and Eng navies, .. so all in all I did give the USA "some chance".

But the whole point of the mod is not to have the USA involved in WW2 at all.

If the USA do "come back" it is much later on, post WW2 (if it ever ends?), but then they'll have to face much stronger foes, a JAP probably owning half the world, a GER with all the later WW2 weapons and maybe also owning half the world, and ENG etc etc.

So, a much stiffer challenge to the USA player? Hopefully.

EDIT: The USA should hold onto their industry and research, so they will always have that advantage.

I will have to tinker a little more to ensure the USA fails, but not too much, as a lot of the possible changes can last the whole game and I don't want that either.

But I'm very grateful for your feedback, it is helping me hone the mod and make it better, hopefully.

The problem is the fact of the USA don't have any infantry divisions in a great part of the border with canada :O

The problem is the fact of the USA don't have any infantry divisions in a great part of the border with canada :O

Yeah, I forgot to add: that Canada... I only gave them a few militia, to denote a "citizen army" and placed one or two along the border with the USA.. and placed one or two USA Infantry to oppose them, so actually the USA has the advantage in the "hinterland" of the West.

I don't think it matters, as in many play-tests, the USA annexes Canada. Other times yes, Canada skirts around these US units and invades further south. But that is just random behaviour.

I had to try to balance out the forces as best I could.

Yeah, I forgot to add: that Canada... I only gave them a few militia, to denote a "citizen army" and placed one or two along the border with the USA.. and placed one or two USA Infantry to oppose them, so actually the USA has the advantage in the "hinterland" of the West.

I don't think it matters, as in many play-tests, the USA annexes Canada. Other times yes, Canada skirts around these US units and invades further south. But that is just random behaviour.

I had to try to balance out the forces as best I could.
Oficial now,I downloaded the wrong version,that this is impossible :O have much divergences.

So far a great mod. I played as Germany a few weeks into the war but then quit as I was quite unprepared (I took the advice and started building like crazy though)

1. (already mentioned I thought?) there are a lot of events without text that are popping up. This should be fixed :)
2. US - UK war goes off nicely and within 9 months USA is defeated. A few things to notice about this war
- Mexico should gain cores and the others should get claims instead of what it is now. Also more revoltrisk etc.
- When the Southern Conference breaks away there should be an event chain in which it is decided if SC attacks USA or something like that

As Germany I was very surprised at forced alliance with Spain and Italy, I like your idea of Rhineland and Prussia occupation as safeguard. However there should be some more in-depth events about this. Maybe a direct conference. Furthermore massive volunteers to Germany (especially from Rhineland) that form into several militia and normal infantry divisions. It should cause at least that UK and USSR warn BEEF not to dismantle Germany completely.

The annexation of Albania seems to trigger a war with the BEEF. This was very uncomfortable for Germany, without warning they were dragged in a war with Yugoslavia etc. Divison of Hungary is nice though. But the event that YUG attacks ITA should have more consequences, that for instance BEEF countries decide not to engage in war (like Italy did in WWI with the Central powers) I can imagine Finland or Estonia would not want to fight such an aggressive war.

The mod is great, just as it is and in potential. I hope this playthrough helps you a bit with tweaking and finetuning the events :)

Tim

So far a great mod. I played as Germany a few weeks into the war but then quit as I was quite unprepared (I took the advice and started building like crazy though)

1. (already mentioned I thought?) there are a lot of events without text that are popping up. This should be fixed :)
2. US - UK war goes off nicely and within 9 months USA is defeated. A few things to notice about this war
- Mexico should gain cores and the others should get claims instead of what it is now. Also more revoltrisk etc.
- When the Southern Conference breaks away there should be an event chain in which it is decided if SC attacks USA or something like that

As Germany I was very surprised at forced alliance with Spain and Italy, I like your idea of Rhineland and Prussia occupation as safeguard. However there should be some more in-depth events about this. Maybe a direct conference. Furthermore massive volunteers to Germany (especially from Rhineland) that form into several militia and normal infantry divisions. It should cause at least that UK and USSR warn BEEF not to dismantle Germany completely.

The annexation of Albania seems to trigger a war with the BEEF. This was very uncomfortable for Germany, without warning they were dragged in a war with Yugoslavia etc. Divison of Hungary is nice though. But the event that YUG attacks ITA should have more consequences, that for instance BEEF countries decide not to engage in war (like Italy did in WWI with the Central powers) I can imagine Finland or Estonia would not want to fight such an aggressive war.

The mod is great, just as it is and in potential. I hope this playthrough helps you a bit with tweaking and finetuning the events :)

Tim
when did the war start? and who are the BEEF?

Status
Not open for further replies.