• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How is the British AI coping with a war in North America?

This is before I did any work on the US ai. Maybe inevitable, since the US doesn't have to travel 3,000 miles across the North Atlantic to fight...

Actually, it happened because if the enemy controls over a certain percentage of your country, the ai gives up... And with Canada being such a big open, empty space, it isn't hard for the enemy to reach that figure. I must change that setting.

But, will the other world powers accept this? An even-more-powerful US?

Liking the ideas you're throwing out there, novapaddy.

US attacks Canada July 5th, 1935.
GB responds and defends Canada. By sheer luck, maintains a toe-hold.
FRA on short notice to defend also, but not yet.
GER not interested.
SOV not interested.
JAP interested.
But all powers are urgently re-arming.

Nov - Jan 1936
US/GB war stopped because of CAN winter. Timeout.
Secret alliance between GB and JAP.
####################################
WHY?
GB needs help, cannot do it alone.
GB, a fading empire, last gasp chance to save itself.
GB offers JAP free reign in Asia, as long as AST and NZL ++ ok.
GB and JAP were allies in WW1.

JAP plans to be prominent Asian power.
JAP has seized opportunities before (manchuria).
Of all the Powers, only JAP is ready for war.
#####################################

Decision:
US continue on path?
White peace?
White peace, but give GB something in return?

... but is it already too late, regardless of US decision?

Feb 1936
JAP invades Hawaii and US west coast, with help from GB.
FRA sends troops to defend its interests in French Canada.

March 1936
FRA and GER sign final peace treaty. All disagreements settled. PEACE in Europe?
SOV finally woken up. POL alarmed.

USA has opened a can of worms. Too late now to stop a calamity?

Would Japan try and invade the West Coast? I think they would be beaten up hard...but it would be nice though for a change :D.

I can imagine a resurgent Japan, plus either a more autocratic USA (i.e. less democracy) moving towards Germany? Interesting to see what USSR would do, because we would get some 3 front wars soon...think of Europe and Britain having a smaller interest in Eastern Europe (due to attention to USA) so GER and SOV will clash there eventually...but what about the West? They would be left alone. And what would SOV do against JAP? You get more interesting wars here...GER vs SOV all out...FRA GB and JAP vs USA (second war would follow soon if USA forced to peace out)....and then the other wars around the world...JAP and GB probably fight over colonies...and China not to be forgotten...SOV wanting influence in asia...GER getting too powerful?

Tim

Would Japan try and invade the West Coast? I think they would be beaten up hard...but it would be nice though for a change :D.

I can imagine a resurgent Japan, plus either a more autocratic USA (i.e. less democracy) moving towards Germany? Interesting to see what USSR would do, because we would get some 3 front wars soon...think of Europe and Britain having a smaller interest in Eastern Europe (due to attention to USA) so GER and SOV will clash there eventually...but what about the West? They would be left alone. And what would SOV do against JAP? You get more interesting wars here...GER vs SOV all out...FRA GB and JAP vs USA (second war would follow soon if USA forced to peace out)....and then the other wars around the world...JAP and GB probably fight over colonies...and China not to be forgotten...SOV wanting influence in asia...GER getting too powerful?

Tim

Do I understand that you like the overall idea?

..now.. what happens next?

I'm thinking of JAP attacking Seattle, but would this be a good idea? If not, where would be better on the West Coast?
I'm thinking of ENG/AST/NZL/INDIA...(ENG empire) joining in, but attacking elsewhere on the West Coast.. a quieter part? ENG is going for (all or nothing). Too late to turn back now.

Key is still the US navy, can they survive this and still defend. Can they stop JAP/ENG in mid-Pacific ocean? Can they stop ENG navy off Boston?

I need ideas for the next steps please?

Reactions:
Yeah I like the idea very much! :). But in this time aspect, I would say that in 1936 the war hasn't progressed enough for JAP to really be able to reach the West Coast...but what about a joint Canadian - Japan occupation of Alaska as first diversion? From there JAP troops bolster defense of Vancouver and try to launch attacks, diversions on LA / San Francisco and Portland? just diversions...

Yeah but if they would go all out, what about diversion attack on Miami (from Caribb..) and then focus on one of the big cities? Like Washington / New York / Boston...if they capture that, some sort of forced peace would be concluded, as the American populace would not accept that. After that, the U.S. gets radicalized...deposing the democrats and putting hard line Republicans in place or even better...if the U.S. refuses peace when they see one of those territories occupied...military intervention (MacArthur? Someone else?)

After this war...definite Revanchism so USA would seek some support from the enemy of the enemy (GER?) or on their own...

Yeah I like the idea very much! :). But in this time aspect, I would say that in 1936 the war hasn't progressed enough for JAP to really be able to reach the West Coast...but what about a joint Canadian - Japan occupation of Alaska as first diversion? From there JAP troops bolster defense of Vancouver and try to launch attacks, diversions on LA / San Francisco and Portland? just diversions...

Yeah but if they would go all out, what about diversion attack on Miami (from Caribb..) and then focus on one of the big cities? Like Washington / New York / Boston...if they capture that, some sort of forced peace would be concluded, as the American populace would not accept that. After that, the U.S. gets radicalized...deposing the democrats and putting hard line Republicans in place or even better...if the U.S. refuses peace when they see one of those territories occupied...military intervention (MacArthur? Someone else?)

After this war...definite Revanchism so USA would seek some support from the enemy of the enemy (GER?) or on their own...

The US is SO HUGE in all manner of ways, IC, land area etc etc. It's almost too big for any one country to take on in battle. Their IC is almost 5 times ENG/FRA/JAP and three times GER's.
I definitely see a political split because this has happened totally "out of the blue" with no warning. More a split to save their own skins ... and let the warmonger Party (Democrats!!) go to hell.
The US has a major problem in that most of its industrial heartland is close to the Canadian border, even the major cities in the North East, too close for comfort.

I don't see a half-hearted war. I see "total war!".. a fight for survival for ENG and JAP.. The die has been cast, no turning back. All out war, all out conquest... divided between the victors.. (if they win at all... ??). As Stalin said: "No man, no problem!"... so if the population don't like it, well they can go to ...Mexico I suppose?

Possibility of other American contintent states getting involved? Don't know?
If FRA is occupying Quebec and Montreal, but just to protect the "French Citizens" there... will the US approach them.. a stab in the back to the UK..?

I don't see GER helping USA. GER's leader is too preoccupied with his dreams of lebensraum in the East...

I'm viewing this through 19th century glasses... colonies mindset... the politicians of this time (IMO), grew up in colonial times, and that's how they see the world.. Mixed up with 20th century Marxism/Raw Capitalism (like 2012..!!!) and just plain old "survival of the fittest!"

EDIT: I'm also thinking of how Spain and Portugal divided the world between themselves (way back when?).. I see JAP and ENG dividing the world between themselves (and America), while GER and SOV fight it out elsewhere.

EDIT 2: Japs reaching the West Coast?... ENG and JAP are allies now, and they both cooperate together to achieve their goals. I mean if the JAPS cannot do it themselves, then ENG has enough of a navy to take them to the US... like a taxi service!

Last edited:
novapaddy, could you re-upload WiF for Darkest hour Full? megaupload has been shut down by the US govt. and I don't think it is hosted anywhere else... :(

Hi 1232145: It's still available. If you google something like ... (thinks).. World in Flames novapaddy, you should defintely get it. I checked a while ago and it's definitely still there. If not, I have it safe and can re-upload it again.

I messed up the partition of FRA events, so sorry about that!.. But otherwise, it should be ok. AND there is a chinese ship that appears off Libya early in the game... must be a wrong province reference.. but Jeez! trying to match the provinces in China was a nightmare. Cheers

http://www.gamefront.com/files/21219378/World+In+Flames_novapaddy.7z

Don't forget the excellent music mix made by FT. It's available in the Recommended Mods area. Definitely get that!

I understand that if you are an American, you may think this mod is kicking your ass?

It may seem so, but actually, I'm hoping that playing as the US will be a blast! Why? Well instead of just arriving in Europe and building huge armies, and attacking all the time... you'll be defending your own country.. from probably 2 or 3 invaders.. I think the gameplay if you play as the US will be the best of all ?

I'm hoping to set up the ai, so that navies battle, but withdraw before too much damage is done, so.. hopefully, you'll hang on to your navy, just wait while it repairs etc, and have another go. I think if the ships actually get sunk, it will be too much. Same for all countries. In this way, you should stand a good chance of defeating the invading fleets?

Early days ... but so far the US does very well .. and looks like it will be able to defeat ENG and CAN quite easily. ??

Hmmm okay...I can imagine that the USA, seen here as the aggressor and the ''bad guy'', would gain a lot of disrespect from the world community. I think that some countries start to be hostile towards USA. It would be fun if UK makes a deal with MEX, to reclaim New Mexico / Arizona / California.

Furthermore the UK would have a larger and better air force? They would indeed bomb the industrial centers near the border.

I can imagine two things to happen if the USA somehow is defeated / half defeated. There would be some sort of peace talk in which some US territory is ceded to the UK / JAP alliance (depends who joins). Another thing, if the USA does not want peace, they would somehow crumble. States would secede because they are hit hard by the war and the government in Washington is not reasonable...maybe CAL / TEX / CSA secession? Or larger revolts?

Tim

Hmmm okay...I can imagine that the USA, seen here as the aggressor and the ''bad guy'', would gain a lot of disrespect from the world community. I think that some countries start to be hostile towards USA. It would be fun if UK makes a deal with MEX, to reclaim New Mexico / Arizona / California.

Furthermore the UK would have a larger and better air force? They would indeed bomb the industrial centers near the border.

I can imagine two things to happen if the USA somehow is defeated / half defeated. There would be some sort of peace talk in which some US territory is ceded to the UK / JAP alliance (depends who joins). Another thing, if the USA does not want peace, they would somehow crumble. States would secede because they are hit hard by the war and the government in Washington is not reasonable...maybe CAL / TEX / CSA secession? Or larger revolts?

Tim

Good Stuff Timmie0307:
I only realised yesterday... that it was the BRITISH who in real life.... (TRUE!)
...... taught the JAPs how to land on aircraft carriers.
..... taught them the skills necessary to hang large topedo bombs underneath small planes, for sea attack...
..... AND they had a spy very close to Churchill...
.... AND he was a Lord..
.... AND when he was found out, he wasn't taken out and shot or interned....

... I wonder what information he had on Churchill that we never found out?

... makes me think, maybe there was a back channel to the Japs, before Pearl Harbour and Singapore??

Well I can imagine the JAPs and British working together. Before WWI and into WWI this was a big alliance and strong relations between the nations. The thing is, if the British can keep the JAPs happy in the Pacific, say they divide it up between the two, they can work together very close. Both are Imperial Powers after all. So this could indeed lead to interesting scenarios concerning China / SOV and USA. I believe that JAP would really want to help GB but this time it would need to be for territorial compensation...and resources Britain has.

Tim

Well I can imagine the JAPs and British working together. Before WWI and into WWI this was a big alliance and strong relations between the nations. The thing is, if the British can keep the JAPs happy in the Pacific, say they divide it up between the two, they can work together very close. Both are Imperial Powers after all. So this could indeed lead to interesting scenarios concerning China / SOV and USA. I believe that JAP would really want to help GB but this time it would need to be for territorial compensation...and resources Britain has.

Tim

I was reading about GB having concerns about JAP trade into Eastern Africa in the early 1930s. Basically, JAP was trading at fractions of the ENG price.
Add this JAP interest in East Africa, to their later (1940) effort to extract Madagasgar from FRA, and it could lead to another "adventure" for the mod in East Africa, where ENG might compensate them there.

Definitely a good line of enquiry having ENG+JAP as allies I think. ENG needs JAP badly right now, even if only to deflect US attention and effort from them (open up a 2nd front). With FRA being reluctant (and who can blame them).. They haven't been attacked....

If ENG can persuade AST/NZL/India! to fully support their Commonwealth cousins, then a vast supply of manpower will be available for battle.

India would probably want something BIG in return, but if ENG can (smash n grab) a good proportion of the US, then Independence for India shouldn't be a problem?

I'm finding this all fascinating...

I think the colonies would support war and if GB decides to hasten the independence process a deal can be made between more pro-military pro-war Indians and thus independence can be achieved. What about a deal in which the colonies stay in some sort of commonwealth, including India?

It is really fascinating. But I wouldn't give something in Africa to JAP but more in the pacific?

Tim

If USA loses this war, the North American continent will be divided between the victors.

Japan gets the whole of the west coast from Alaska, through Canada to Mexico. The Land of Hirohito.
U99;Land of Hirohito;Terrain de Hirohito;Terra di Hirohito;Tierra de Hirohito;Land der Hirohito;Land of Hirohito;Land of Hirohito;Land of Hirohito;;;X

Either Canada or France will get the: Rest of Canada and US Midwest region. Either called Canada still, or New France.
So if FRA doesn't join the battle, Canada will still exist, but with new borders. Else, Canada disappears from the map, and the property is called New France.
U98;New France;nouvelle-France;nuova Francia;nueva Francia;Neu-Frankreich;Nowa Francja;nova Franca;New France;;;X

England gets from Halifax (right bank of the St. Lawrence river) down the East Coast of the US to Florida, and across to Texas. L-shaped. Will be called ... New England.
U97;New England;nouvelle-Angleterre;nuova Inghilterra;Nueva Inglaterra;Neuengland;New England;nova Inglaterra;New England;;;X

The last item on each translation didn't work. Any Russians reading this? Can you please oblige me and translate: Cheers

Wait, what?

First, the British just dividing up Canada seems... unresonable, to say the least. To give up British Columbia to Japan? Giving Japan parts of the US west coast is possible (although even that's a bit of a stretch), but what would've been the point if the British are to give their land away in the first place? Also, if Japan are to receive the West Coast, they shouldn't receive a pupet but be forced to directly control it, and give RR to the provinces. The partition of USA would be infuriating enough, to be occupied Japan would definitely not be exactly an easy time. Besides, puppets generally imply that the population at least recognizes some legitimacy and rule over its people; perhaps a decision should be given to Japan to create the puppet if they manage to hold it for eight years or so.

The partition of Canada is basically a problem, because I don't see why the British would divide up Canada. To do so would simply be insulting, and if the Brits are pissed off and nationalistic enough to fight a war against the USA (a full-scale land war no less), then I don't see them doing so anytime soon - whether it be Japan, or France or whomever.

Second, why would the French intervene? Are you going to put up radical groups in charge of France or somesuch? I'm doubting the scenario if we're keeping with the popular front here. France had an even worse attitude against having to relive WWI again (can't blame them considering most of the Western front was in their land), and would've taken a pretty isolationist stance in the conflict as far as I can imagine. Even if they did fight, I can't imagine them contributing to a point where they'd get large parts of Canada / Midwestern USA, nor that they'd be interested in those areas in particular. Quebec's definitely not all that a good reason, since the French and the Quebecois never really cared for each other after Quebec became British.

The British are the only ones I find really plausible. They did have to fight a massive war again, and saying they'd be pretty ticked off to go all Versailles on the USA isn't too far-fetched. For territories though, I'd suggest something closer to a division along the Mississippi and the Kentucky-Virginia line. It looks cleaner that way and are areas where the British actually had claims instead of a massive coastline. (13 colonies obviously, as well as the Ohio valley area). Same schtick with Japan should apply, imo, although Canada is autonomous to give them occupation, but the Brits are a larger power and the RR/TC penalties would be more debiliating. Besides, I don't see how Canada would occupy such a large area whose population rivals or dwarfs their without British help anyway. Same thing with Japan, possibly to give to Canada after a decade or so should be likely.

If we're going to put up a complete partition of the USA though, I'd say we need revolt events to patch it up back together. Or at least that it should be a living hell for the victors, at least for the first few years. THe USA could potentially occupy Canada due to its low population, and the fact that it's right beside each other. Trying to occupy the USA with its massive population and try to do it across an Ocean? Good luck with that. Yeaaaaah.

Thanks for the valued input Hyo, I appreciate it and will study it.

Yes, I agree, the Brits would want the "13 colonies" + a bit more. But my problem is: What about Texas? ... oil in large quantities... They would definitely want that as well. So, then, do I have it as 2 separate territories?.. Do I join the territories up?

Japs getting all of the West Coast:
Well I see the Brits getting the prize (the East Coast and Texas).
The Japs are opportunist, but they also know that the Brits NEED them. USA is far too big even for the Brits to take alone.
I see them getting more, the Brits being over-generous, so they remain interested enough to risk everything (all or nothing).
edit: Most of what they are getting is also wilderness/mountain/ not much economic stuff there.. so compensation with land area. I'm sure the canny Japs will make very good use of what they get?

British Columbia in Canada?... If I leave that British, then it'll be an island in a sea of Japs. ... What economic use is it ?

Canada can remain, and should be compensated with territory (if they survive and win?). I see a logical extension into the US Midwest.. there's some oil there and large industry too. They need more non-artic lands.. too much of Canada is a wilderness.

French? I'm just offering this up as an idea. Would the Brits need the French, maybe? USA is hard to fight! I see it as an option. But yes, I need to read more about the politics of the 1930's.

Yesterday, dividing up the USA, I had to start with a baseline, some kind of start, so that I can program the game and get it working, on a basic low level.
I fully intend to modify and "make it more believeable" over time. This was just a start.

It's funny, but attacking the USA is kind of counter-intuitive to me, you? We are so used to the USA being the superpower, untouchable and massively powerful. This is the time before its military might matched its ambitions and global hegemony that we are familiar with. But I think it will make an excellent ahistorical mod, to twist stuff around, and offer other ideas of what may have happened.

I definitely see a total conquest now. But over such a huge land mass, I also see future problems, as the US population, I'm sure will have new "Sons of Liberty" to take back their lands from the invaders. ...

Please keep the opinions and ideas .. and criticisms coming, I appreciate them and they will help me with making this an enjoyable mod, hopefully. Cheers

Edit: How to give the Brits the 13 colonies+, and Texas?

Last edited:
I'd say that puppet states etc. would work better. As Hyo pointed out, direct puppet colony of west coast America is not going to work. You could make it an event / decision, in which Japan can select several options: 1. Full occupation (a lot of revolt risk + partisans) 2. Independent California (with fav. trade options etc. alliance) 3. puppet california (which would lead to an event chain that they would eventually fight for freedom) or 4. the land of Hirohito, a kind of sucking the land dry by making it some sort of Manchuria but then aimed at supporting Japan instead of the other way around (this would lead to high revolt risks but some transfer of industry etc.)

For Texas I would also aim for a puppet state of GB. It would indeed be really interesting to see some sort of partisan movement in the USA. You could opt for the unifying one, or more a la Kaiserreich (republic of the lakes etc.) with different states (reviving of CSA). So different military leaders would take the lead in those movements (Patton in the south and MacArthur, or others in the North?) Canada and GB would want some direct land and the 13 colonies with probably the same options as JAP?

I would say that the French would get a decision like the SCW, support the war, in various degrees perhaps?

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.