• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In my game ,when i started in 1077,Iberian kingdoms managed to survive but only thanks to 2 crusades...otherwise they always start losing....

I have another kind off problem.

I played Portugal and France took 30% of Iberia. I'd rather wage war against heretics then waiting to forge claim to France.

I am playing Barcelona. And managed to survive for 20 years and for a surprise I got DOW from France. I reloaded 10 times to see the pattern. No change. Then I become vassal of France to avoid war and what happened? France just marched down south eating other heretics leaving me nothing. Spoiled the game totally. But still playing and France is just hitting heretics like it's programmed to take them out.

In others games where I do not play someone in Iberia, France does the same thing. Sometimes HRE helps.

That patch everyone is calling buggy?

In my experience the French haven't been romping through Iberia from the outset in any of the patches. If you don't want the latest patch, then go get one of the 1.03 or 1.04 patches, the last of each of those was stable, but 1.05c, 1.05e and 1.05f are all also pretty much fine, with 1.05f being the most stable and balanced version of the game to date.

i watched the situation in iberia a bit as duke of lancaster(in which i m taking all of the british islands). i did not interfere in the situation in spain, save for a marriage or two with a courtier of leon and castille.

almost all the kingdoms had been wiped out before march 1100(somewhere in february the war for navarra ended). only a 1 county castille, aragon, and barcelona are left.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/595845186321396943/18FD2618258F0C3093E05809882E90E385417AF2/ cristian kingdoms were already driven back a lot in 1092. in less than 3 decades they lost quite a bit of land. but with help of france they COULD have survived.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/595845186321385920/7B807DACE50921690CD539C788DBA3FBFEC6FF02/ leon and galicia have been wiped out. its about game over for the cristian kingdoms now, and its only a matter of time before iberia is muslim.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/595845186321432724/A9693F029DBAD86F296D1ACFFF21F08ED2C4F362/ navarra has been taken out, and atm cordoba is marching on france and winning. ill probaly have to invade ibeira within a decade or two and install a brother or second son there while activly supporting him to keep the muslims out of france(as france isnt too stable)

this happens 99% of the time. i dont call this balance. either nerf the muslims in iberia(i.e. make them MUCH mor elickly to not fight the cristians but eachother the first century or so) or buff the cristians there(i.e. a weak holy order for iberian based kings).

In my experience the French haven't been romping through Iberia from the outset in any of the patches. If you don't want the latest patch, then go get one of the 1.03 or 1.04 patches, the last of each of those was stable, but 1.05c, 1.05e and 1.05f are all also pretty much fine, with 1.05f being the most stable and balanced version of the game to date.

I have 1.05c. maybe 1.05f is balanced but will have to wait for better stability. Sorry, I am one of those that let others jump to water first :)

I have 1.05c. maybe 1.05f is balanced but will have to wait for better stability. Sorry, I am one of those that let others jump to water first :)

I'm the same, I waited a few days before I installed any of the patches, but it's been five now and there are no major complaints with 1.05f. 1.05c is very stable, yes, but it has a number of bugs that could easily ruin your day, yet are fixed by 1.05f.

As for your Iberia problem, well, if you saw the French take out the muslims before the muslims overran Barcelona, Navarra and Aragon, then I'd say you were probably just unlucky, as whatever was causing that in the release candidate was addressed many patches ago, presumably so that it only happens very rarely, such as in your case.

i watched the situation in iberia a bit as duke of lancaster(in which i m taking all of the british islands). i did not interfere in the situation in spain, save for a marriage or two with a courtier of leon and castille.

almost all the kingdoms had been wiped out before march 1100(somewhere in february the war for navarra ended). only a 1 county castille, aragon, and barcelona are left.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/595845186321396943/18FD2618258F0C3093E05809882E90E385417AF2/ cristian kingdoms were already driven back a lot in 1092. in less than 3 decades they lost quite a bit of land. but with help of france they COULD have survived.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/595845186321385920/7B807DACE50921690CD539C788DBA3FBFEC6FF02/ leon and galicia have been wiped out. its about game over for the cristian kingdoms now, and its only a matter of time before iberia is muslim.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/595845186321432724/A9693F029DBAD86F296D1ACFFF21F08ED2C4F362/ navarra has been taken out, and atm cordoba is marching on france and winning. ill probaly have to invade ibeira within a decade or two and install a brother or second son there while activly supporting him to keep the muslims out of france(as france isnt too stable)

this happens 99% of the time. i dont call this balance. either nerf the muslims in iberia(i.e. make them MUCH mor elickly to not fight the cristians but eachother the first century or so) or buff the cristians there(i.e. a weak holy order for iberian based kings).

Again, you are throwing the word 'balance' around in in inappropriate manner for this context.

First of all, as people have mentioned, it's not meant to be balanced; the very strong edge is meant to be with the Muslims

Secondly, as also mentioned a lot, the only actual issue here is not the relative strengths of the starting positions (which, as noted, a human can win from easily because much of the game is biased against the Muslims), it's simply that the AI is a poor judge of how dangerous Holy Wars are. Arbitrarily changing the strengths of the Christians or Muslims in Spain will not change this and will only mess things up. Any change should be targeted at the actual issue.

The only reason for some sort of drastic change would be if the Reconquista was unwinnable as a human, which is not even close to being true. If anything, it's too easy thanks to Holy Orders.

i dont think YOU get the context of balance. holy wars are fine in about every area on the map, exept in spain. that doesnt seem like a holy war problem for me. that has soemthing to do with either the iberia AI or the relative strenght of the nations. also, even weaker factions shoudl come out on top sometimes. i wouldnt complain if it was a 1/5 chance that iberia wins(though 2-1.5/5 would be better) but atm its a miracle if they survive without the direct intervention fo the player.

the changes i propose are only EXAPMLES. im not saying that is the fix and should be added in the next patch. im just throwing in some ideas. tellign me im wrong doesnt fix the problem either. what do YOU think that should be done to fix it?

It's not really a "problem" - especially vs. the berbers, it was always a possibility - but it should definitely happen a lot less consistently.

No, it *is* a problem. It wouldn't be a problem if it it sometimes happened, but it almost always happens. The Muslims in Spain need to be toned down somehow, or the Christians strengthened.

hmm in my games usually barcelona gets quite powerfull and sicily is almost always formed but survives with changing succes.

i also dont get how people find it hard to play an iberian faction, ive usually conquered all of it by 1100.

hmm in my games usually barcelona gets quite powerfull and sicily is almost always formed but survives with changing succes.

i also dont get how people find it hard to play an iberian faction, ive usually conquered all of it by 1100.

Same. Non-religion chopped up independent counts/duchies all right next to me and I'm allied with every christian near me? DELICIOUS.

The fact that the AI doesn't have the same results as a player does isn't surprising, considering their tendency to create incredibly horrible traits in education and yet the player can usually churn out Superman.

i dont think YOU get the context of balance. holy wars are fine in about every area on the map, exept in spain. that doesnt seem like a holy war problem for me. that has soemthing to do with either the iberia AI or the relative strenght of the nations. also, even weaker factions shoudl come out on top sometimes. i wouldnt complain if it was a 1/5 chance that iberia wins(though 2-1.5/5 would be better) but atm its a miracle if they survive without the direct intervention fo the player.

the changes i propose are only EXAPMLES. im not saying that is the fix and should be added in the next patch. im just throwing in some ideas. tellign me im wrong doesnt fix the problem either. what do YOU think that should be done to fix it?

Clearly you have a very different idea of balance to how this game is meant to work. In any case, I presented my solution in my posts. It very much is the inability to gauge the difficulty of Holy Wars that is the only problem here, and the circumstances that make it an issue for the AI are unique to Iberia, as that is the only place where the AI will use a Holy War CB because he thinks his foe is weak and then gets destroyed by the resulting defensive alliance. If the AI was bearing in mind that it might be starting a war with all of Muslim Iberia, it wouldn't do so. Humans can calculate this risk, know to use De Jure claims instead when possible and know it is better to make Iberian Holy Wars short rush jobs. The AI doesn't do that. Similar circumstances to this do not exist elsewhere on the map. If they did, the AI would show the same problem. Any possible issue here can be resolved with some improvements to the AI to calculate war risks better and use a safer CB than Holy War (the concept of Holy War being a more 'dangerous' CB being one that has been introduced to the game long after the AI was designed). And even then, the default should be that the Christians lose.

Changing the power of the factions there when their relative power is not the issue would be a design mistake.

Last edited:
Clearly you have a very different idea of balance to how this game is meant to work. In any case, I presented my solution in my posts. It very much is the inability to gauge the difficulty of Holy Wars that is the only problem here, and the circumstances that make it an issue for the AI are unique to Iberia, as that is the only place where the AI will use a Holy War CB because he thinks his foe is weak and then gets destroyed by the resulting defensive alliance. If the AI was bearing in mind that it might be starting a war with all of Muslim Iberia, it wouldn't do so. Humans can calculate this risk, know to use De Jure claims instead when possible and know it is better to make Iberian Holy Wars short rush jobs. The AI doesn't do that. Similar circumstances to this do not exist elsewhere on the map. If they did, the AI would show the same problem. Any possible issue here can be resolved with some improvements to the AI to calculate war risks better and use a safer CB than Holy War (the concept of Holy War being a more 'dangerous' CB being one that has been introduced to the game long after the AI was designed). And even then, the default should be that the Christians lose.

Changing the power of the factions there when their relative power is not the issue would be a design mistake.

i dont agree. what do you wnat those kingdoms to do? sit there the whole game doing nothing?

the problem with that is that the kingdoms
A. have a tendecy to go to war with eachother a lot, resulting in a muslim state swooping in taking a duchy
B. get dogpiled when they fight a muslim. this is not fixable by improving the AI as you have a high probability of them either sitting there for 300 years doing nothing, or swoop in for a swift kill with the war ending in the middle of a war, resulting in them getting dogpiled anyway.

i may be wrong on how to balance this. but currently i see no way of giving the cristian kingdoms a fighting chance in 1066 without nerfing the muslims or buffign the cristains. it doesnt have to be a insta OP buff like giving them 10K free troops, but i.e. cordoba and beja starting with a little civil war would helo a lot already, as it allows the cirstian kingdoms to fight eachother a tad without getting a muslim attack. a simple strategic buff or nerf should be enough.

Every time I started as them the kingdoms get destroyed by the saracens....

I just resigned a game as Castille. Leave alone the mixed cultures and claims left right and centre, I was slowly loosing ground to the Moors and on a massive scale. I got through marriage Navarre (and Castille went to Navarre from my son who married into them when he inherited), Leon got wiped out from the Muslims and despite owning most of the east of the Iberian (down to Valencia), by 1166 the Moors were allied and fielding insane amounts of troops and I was in constant conflict with them (Holy Wars). Aragon held on, claiming the west of the land (is it Galacia?), but Leon had gone, and to top it all my King died and I had a nasty nasty Marshall that as soon as my son inherited killed my 20 spymaster English widow (married to my dead King) who was my regent and then made himself regent. Total backstabbing greedy nastyness that in effect left me reeling after a vassal went independent which then led the Moors into another conflict that ruined me so soon after this incident.

Great bloody game, but several random occurrences wiped out my power base that I was building up, through alliances the HRE with my Kings sons and so on. The Moors/Muslims became too much, too many 6-7-8k doomstacks that I could just not beat. I resigned with a score of 12k.

i dont agree. what do you wnat those kingdoms to do? sit there the whole game doing nothing?

the problem with that is that the kingdoms
A. have a tendecy to go to war with eachother a lot, resulting in a muslim state swooping in taking a duchy
B. get dogpiled when they fight a muslim. this is not fixable by improving the AI as you have a high probability of them either sitting there for 300 years doing nothing, or swoop in for a swift kill with the war ending in the middle of a war, resulting in them getting dogpiled anyway.

i may be wrong on how to balance this. but currently i see no way of giving the cristian kingdoms a fighting chance in 1066 without nerfing the muslims or buffign the cristains. it doesnt have to be a insta OP buff like giving them 10K free troops, but i.e. cordoba and beja starting with a little civil war would helo a lot already, as it allows the cirstian kingdoms to fight eachother a tad without getting a muslim attack. a simple strategic buff or nerf should be enough.

I don't think I ever suggested them doing nothing. I said they should do things at the right time. Iberia is easy for a human, so in theory it could become easier for the AI.

Regardless, their inability to understand the danger of holy wars is the only actual problem here. The fact that they normally lose the war with the Muslims is pretty much intended.

KevUK- Holy Orders will wipe those Muslim stacks without breaking a sweat. Though if the random things are against you, that will sink any game of course.