+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: I can't beat France!

  1. #1

    I can't beat France!

    Hi,

    I am wondering how people handle France as Germany in the 1936 scenario? I played Hoi2 DD Arma before and I never had any problem with France. Darkest Hour seems much more difficult.

    I defeat Poland no problem by the first week of September 1939.

    I then redeploy my army to the West and start the invasion of Netherlands and Belgium. I successfully overrun these two countries but the problem starts when my armies reach the French border. It is impossible for me to break through. France goes on the offensive, I take heavy losses and I have to retreat. Then a WWI situation ensues and the border is totally static. Matters are made even worse when Republican Spain and Yugoslavia join the allies.

    I am wondering what I am doing wrong.

    How do you break through? What sort of army/airforce composition do you have on the eve of the invasion of France (May 1940)? What building strategies do you use? Do you build IC?

    Thank you for your advice

  2. #2
    Captain Bogdan.ua's Avatar
    Darkest HourMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Posts
    381
    Try playing the 1940 scenario for practice. DH is supposed to be harder and it will take you a little bit to get used to it.

  3. #3

  4. #4
    Colonel Hopit's Avatar
    500k club

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,080
    My tactic:
    Hold the original French border ( 36 divs or less if you have land forts)
    blitz true benelux with tanks and motorized/mechanized infantry and not stop until you get Paris.
    That is what I usually do.

  5. #5
    Major Australiana's Avatar
    Darkest HourIron Cross

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Huonville, Tasmania, Australia
    Posts
    557
    Quote Originally Posted by kamenev View Post
    Hi,

    I am wondering how people handle France as Germany in the 1936 scenario? I played Hoi2 DD Arma before and I never had any problem with France. Darkest Hour seems much more difficult.

    I defeat Poland no problem by the first week of September 1939.

    I then redeploy my army to the West and start the invasion of Netherlands and Belgium. I successfully overrun these two countries but the problem starts when my armies reach the French border. It is impossible for me to break through. France goes on the offensive, I take heavy losses and I have to retreat. Then a WWI situation ensues and the border is totally static. Matters are made even worse when Republican Spain and Yugoslavia join the allies.

    I am wondering what I am doing wrong.

    How do you break through? What sort of army/airforce composition do you have on the eve of the invasion of France (May 1940)? What building strategies do you use? Do you build IC?

    Thank you for your advice
    Try concentrating every single armoured and motorised division that you have in Koblenz, and then when it all kicks off, advance them through Luxembourg-Arlon-Mons-Lille-Amiens. Be sure to have sufficient infantry following in their wake to hold the ground you've captured. Once you've reached Amiens, leave a small force to protect your ground and keep your tanks rolling. Be looking to exploit any weak spot in the French defenses. If you find one, "hit them hard, don't pat them." Ultimately, the idea is to 'backdoor' the French army by concentrating a massive force at the point of least resistance. You'll find that most of the French army is massed around the Maginot Line, so bypass them completely, and hopefully by the time they realise what's going on, and then move forces in your direction, it'll be too late.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Australiana View Post
    Try concentrating every single armoured and motorised division that you have in Koblenz, and then when it all kicks off, advance them through Luxembourg-Arlon-Mons-Lille-Amiens. Be sure to have sufficient infantry following in their wake to hold the ground you've captured. Once you've reached Amiens, leave a small force to protect your ground and keep your tanks rolling. Be looking to exploit any weak spot in the French defenses. If you find one, "hit them hard, don't pat them." Ultimately, the idea is to 'backdoor' the French army by concentrating a massive force at the point of least resistance. You'll find that most of the French army is massed around the Maginot Line, so bypass them completely, and hopefully by the time they realise what's going on, and then move forces in your direction, it'll be too late.
    I strongly prer Lux->Arlon->Mons->Hirson->around whichever route to Belfort. That wraps up the majority of FRA's army without a struggle. Then I let them tire themselves out trying breakouts for a month or two while I take the rest of the country.

    Note you can upgrade INF -> MOT, it's much easier to get your defenders in place if they're faster. Lately I've been experimenting with producing MOT to upgrade into ARM (you can get 15+ divisions of light tank IIIs by poland!) and building a 3xInf1936 serial forever to upgrade into MOT, MAR, and MTN. It makes production a lot simpler and lets you control what is being worked on more effectively. Eventually I plan to mass upgrade 20-30 MOT into MEC, before Barbarossa.

    My install is modded quite a bit at this point, but I think this advice will still be generally applicable.

  7. #7
    Corporal AbsoluteZer0's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagickaVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    A dark russian wasteland
    Posts
    43
    Remember to use your CAS'es to do intrediction missions,this will speed your advance and stop the french from digging in.
    DAAAAMMNN YOU STEAM EU3 KEY!!!
    “If my body dies, let my body die, but do not let my country die.” -Genghis Khan

  8. #8
    East vs West developer Leonaru's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyDarkest Hour
    EU3 CompleteHeir to the ThroneIron CrossMajesty 2Victoria: Revolutions

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,109
    So, is the conquest of France possible within the historical time frame?
    East vs. West - A Hearts of Iron Game | Forum | Teaser | Trailer | FAQ

  9. #9
    Colonel
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourSengoku500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    In the bleak, frozen midwest of the USA
    Posts
    1,063
    Yes. I've done it several times.

    What it takes is practice and experimentation. Save the game right before you start (or play the '40 scenario) and try out different tactics.

  10. #10
    Second Lieutenant phordor001's Avatar
    Darkest Hour

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    121
    Takes 3 to 5 weeks. Weather plays a big factor. I use only 8 ARM, no MOT and just the starting INF. I use my air force (24 CAS and 8 TAC) to keep the French ORG low. Once they retreat I send the ARM through and start hitting the secondary lines with my planes. Unfortunately planes don't work as well when it rains and not at all when it storms. I've only had 1 game with no rain (3 weeks - yeah), average is 4 weeks from launch date. Note: because of the large French concentration on my border I use my TAC to do logistical strikes in Sedan, Verdun, Chamaut, Belfort and every province east. I reduce everything to under 10% (takes a couple of month of bombing). This slows the French enough that I don't have to worry about them shifting troops to the west quickly. Took me 8 or 9 trys before I finally got it.

  11. #11
    Second Lieutenant Döbeln's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3For the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSemper FiVictoria 2
    500k club

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Lond? Lund? Like London, in swedish
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonaru View Post
    So, is the conquest of France possible within the historical time frame?
    You can do it in 1939, for sure.
    My attempt on an AAR! (Just begun!)

    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...-A-Swedish-AAR

  12. #12
    Colonel Hopit's Avatar
    500k club

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,080
    as long as you get to paris in 2-5 weeks it's possible

  13. #13
    First Lieutenant ljigsrb's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyDarkest HourIron CrossSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House Divided500k club

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Frontline
    Posts
    242
    finish france before poland. i find this much easier than 1940 attack.
    Last edited by ljigsrb; 28-05-2012 at 02:44.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts