Starvoid dev diary #6 - Manufacturer: Eidolon Scientific

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(323395)

Second Lieutenant
Jun 1, 2011
~Morning!

Yet again a well written Starvoid dev diary is delivered on schedule! I'm too pro. This week will be about a droid manufacturer again, and this time it will be about the not-always-so-nice Eidolon Scientific.

Eidolon uses less accepted technology to create droids that are highly specialized on their roles. They focus on mobility and counter tactics, where all units have their dedicated role on the battlefield. Some are made to quickly eradicate enemy light units, while others have powerful, long range anti-armor lasers to take out heavy vehicles from afar without even giving them the opportunity to return fire. Eidolon also have a nestled theme of causing disruption among the enemy ranks, using blinding, circuit disruptive and mirage projection technology to render enemy units unable to retaliate.

“Improvement is a child of change, I am but the deliverer.”

Background
Eidolon was founded by a single, ambitions and extremely rich man or woman who still remain unknown and few of those that get employed at the facilities ever get back to the outside world. They have for long tried to create the perfect droids, and in their quest to achieve this, they have used many different technologies – technologies that many consider being immoral. These technologies include bio-technology, where artificial flesh tissue is part of the circuits and droid mechanisms and experimental dark matter weaponry – which some predict to be the end of mankind. The work they do would never be tolerated inside the civilized Nexus, but fortunately the Rim exist, where such things can go unnoticed. So this is where Eidolon have their large science facilities established where they continuously try to design new, experimental and cruel designs with a single purpose – creating the perfect droids.

phantasm_fanart.jpg
My personal favorite among the Eidolon units - this fella remain un-spoiled though ;)

And a limited selection from the Eidolon units to be revealed are;

Lampyrids
A swarm of small hover droids that quickly skim across the surface armed with small but precise Agonizer shotgun-like weapons to engage lightly armored targets at close range and tear them apart. Upon death they explode in a burst of highly corrosive acid, covering nearby enemies in it to deal damage to them over time. Also has the ability to leap into the air and dive at a target location, detonating on impact to release their acids upon enemy units.

Hellions
They come in small squads and soar like wraiths across the battlefield, followed by a dark, omnious aura. Has the ability to teleport to nearby locations, seeming to appear from nowhere. They attack with dark matter energy, to which there is no defense, making them extremely dangerous to enemy commanders. Combined with the teleport ability, this makes them excellent commander assassins.

Vector
The Vector is a highly mobile hover vehicle. It is armored and can take some amounts of damage, but is far from as tanky as other manufacturer's vehicles. Instead it relies on it's superior mobility to stay out of harm's way and is armed with a very long range Hellschythe Cannon, which fires focused rays of armor piercing laser to take enemy heavy units out from afar.

And again, that's it! Now I have to get back to work on the actual game – there is a lot going on right now, like new game modes and some other stuff that I can't talk about – yet! Next weak I'll probably get back on talking about mechanics, unless you are dying to hear more about the next manufacturer in line; Hunter's Arms.

Take care, and see you around!
-
Rasmus Davidsson, Game Director at Starvoid

Last edited:
As always – great stuff here!

Of course I’m dying to hear about Hunter’s Arms – but also want to hear about some game mechanics as well. . . . . best go with the mechanics though
:)

For some reason the news entry for this dev diary redirects to a permission denied page.

For some reason the news entry for this dev diary redirects to a permission denied page.

Both me and Rasmus can see it without problems. Does this issue still apply for you or is it fixed now?