• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dutchling

General
58 Badges
Aug 17, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Magicka
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • King Arthur II
  • Impire
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Surviving Mars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • 500k Club
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
I just started a game as the king of Hungary and I noticed I had a 44 year old unmarried sister. I tried to get her married but nobody was listed in the marriage screen, understandable because she has the huge 'past childbearing age' modifier.
I then checked the 'matrilineal marriage' box and suddenly tons of potential grooms appeared, including a young Danish prince! I tried to see why he suddenly accepted and the 'past childbearing age' modifier seems to be gone after checking the 'matrilinear marriage' box.

Is this working as intended? It seems really weird to me that a matrilinear marriage can be more attractive than a regular one for a man.

That does seem wrong. If the potential husbands dont care about makin' babies, why would they care what type of marriage it is? Did you by chance select that prince with the matrilineal search and then change it to a regular marriage?

That doesn't really makes sense to me. If he wants kids of his dynasty he still should't want to marry her.

Yes but that's the case with any matrilineal. You are discounting the fact that she's a princess and they get prestige for marrying her and if it's a lord a possible alliance with a king.

If it's not matrilineal then they care about babies but if it is then they only care about the alliance/prestige/inheritance since any babymaking is your dynasty not theirs is what I was saying.

Trust me, matrilineal marriage are not easy to set up if you're not a king.

Themendios, what you say doesn't really make sense. If the potential groom does not accepts a regular marriage (with the old princess) because he wants to have children then he wants to have children. And should thus not accept a matrilinear marriage with her, because he still would not get children.

Themendios, what you say doesn't really make sense. If the potential groom does not accepts a regular marriage (with the old princess) because he wants to have children then he wants to have children. And should thus not accept a matrilinear marriage with her, because he still would not get children.

I think what themendios is saying does make sense. The groom was not the one saying no to the marriage it was his sovereign saying no to the regular marriage. Basically they only wanted a matrilineal to get rid of the pesky prince so he'd be out of there hands...even better that she can't have babies as there would be no children of a separate dynasty inheriting his possible claims to the throne.

But needless to say you never know what will happen when looking for a matrilineal like in my AAR I accidentally on purpose weaseled into one with the future Kaiser :)

But I think themendios's explanation makes sense personally, I know if I was playing and had an evil son I needed to be rid of i'd happily marry him matrilineally off to some old cougar

I don't understand how you aren't following. It's not about whether he wants to have children, it's the frame of the negotiation changing.

In a regular marriage you offer your daughter to a groom. She will move there and if they were to have children, they would be of his dynasty.
Considerations for groom's family:
Childbearing
Alliance
Skills of bride (gaining)

In a matrilineal marriage you offer to take the groom and marry him to your daughter. He will move here and if they were to have children, they would be of her (your) dynasty.
Alliance
Skills of groom (losing)
Prestige gain
NOT Childbearing because the groom's family doesn't care if you make more of your dynasty or not.

But I think themendios's explanation makes sense personally, I know if I was playing and had an evil son I needed to be rid of i'd happily marry him matrilineally off to some old cougar

I do that all the time to claimants in my court that aren't particularly good at anything. Hit marry, sort by age, send to oldest. Hell I do that just to clean up courtiers.

I don't understand how you aren't following. It's not about whether he wants to have children, it's the frame of the negotiation changing.

In a regular marriage you offer your daughter to a groom. She will move there and if they were to have children, they would be of his dynasty.
Childbearing
Alliance
Skills of bride (gaining)

In a matrilineal marriage you offer to take the groom and marry him to your daughter. He will move here and if they were to have children, they would be of her (your) dynasty.
Alliance
Skills of groom (losing)
Prestige gain
NOT Childbearing because the groom's family doesn't care if you make more of your dynasty or not.

Don't forget the fact that it makes it easier for them not to have to worry about foreign claims on their throne :) kind of sows up all those loose edges in their next succession.