+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Matrilineal Marriage Issue. WAD?

  1. #1
    General Dutchling's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindImpireMagicka
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,803

    Matrilineal Marriage Issue. WAD?

    I just started a game as the king of Hungary and I noticed I had a 44 year old unmarried sister. I tried to get her married but nobody was listed in the marriage screen, understandable because she has the huge 'past childbearing age' modifier.
    I then checked the 'matrilineal marriage' box and suddenly tons of potential grooms appeared, including a young Danish prince! I tried to see why he suddenly accepted and the 'past childbearing age' modifier seems to be gone after checking the 'matrilinear marriage' box.

    Is this working as intended? It seems really weird to me that a matrilinear marriage can be more attractive than a regular one for a man.

  2. #2
    Matrilineal = your dynasty so they don't care if the couple makes no babies and it's purely for an alliance at that point.

    Still 44 isn't past childbearing age either (45) so this sounds like a combination of experiences.

  3. #3
    General Dutchling's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindImpireMagicka
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,803
    That doesn't really makes sense to me. If he wants kids of his dynasty he still should't want to marry her.

  4. #4
    First Lieutenant BaronVonHarry's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIMount & Blade: WarbandEuropa Universalis IV

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Kennewick, Washington
    Posts
    259
    That does seem wrong. If the potential husbands dont care about makin' babies, why would they care what type of marriage it is? Did you by chance select that prince with the matrilineal search and then change it to a regular marriage?

  5. #5
    If they are bastards they will marry anyone.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchling View Post
    That doesn't really makes sense to me. If he wants kids of his dynasty he still should't want to marry her.
    Yes but that's the case with any matrilineal. You are discounting the fact that she's a princess and they get prestige for marrying her and if it's a lord a possible alliance with a king.

    If it's not matrilineal then they care about babies but if it is then they only care about the alliance/prestige/inheritance since any babymaking is your dynasty not theirs is what I was saying.

    Trust me, matrilineal marriage are not easy to set up if you're not a king.

  7. #7
    General Dutchling's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindImpireMagicka
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,803
    Themendios, what you say doesn't really make sense. If the potential groom does not accepts a regular marriage (with the old princess) because he wants to have children then he wants to have children. And should thus not accept a matrilinear marriage with her, because he still would not get children.

  8. #8
    Field Marshal tnick0225's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The land of eternal rain
    Posts
    2,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchling View Post
    Themendios, what you say doesn't really make sense. If the potential groom does not accepts a regular marriage (with the old princess) because he wants to have children then he wants to have children. And should thus not accept a matrilinear marriage with her, because he still would not get children.
    I think what themendios is saying does make sense. The groom was not the one saying no to the marriage it was his sovereign saying no to the regular marriage. Basically they only wanted a matrilineal to get rid of the pesky prince so he'd be out of there hands...even better that she can't have babies as there would be no children of a separate dynasty inheriting his possible claims to the throne.

    But needless to say you never know what will happen when looking for a matrilineal like in my AAR I accidentally on purpose weaseled into one with the future Kaiser

    But I think themendios's explanation makes sense personally, I know if I was playing and had an evil son I needed to be rid of i'd happily marry him matrilineally off to some old cougar

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchling View Post
    Themendios, what you say doesn't really make sense. If the potential groom does not accepts a regular marriage (with the old princess) because he wants to have children then he wants to have children. And should thus not accept a matrilinear marriage with her, because he still would not get children.
    I don't understand how you aren't following. It's not about whether he wants to have children, it's the frame of the negotiation changing.

    In a regular marriage you offer your daughter to a groom. She will move there and if they were to have children, they would be of his dynasty.
    Considerations for groom's family:
    Childbearing
    Alliance
    Skills of bride (gaining)

    In a matrilineal marriage you offer to take the groom and marry him to your daughter. He will move here and if they were to have children, they would be of her (your) dynasty.
    Considerations for groom's family:
    Alliance
    Skills of groom (losing)
    Prestige gain
    NOT Childbearing because the groom's family doesn't care if you make more of your dynasty or not.

    Quote Originally Posted by tnick0225 View Post
    But I think themendios's explanation makes sense personally, I know if I was playing and had an evil son I needed to be rid of i'd happily marry him matrilineally off to some old cougar
    I do that all the time to claimants in my court that aren't particularly good at anything. Hit marry, sort by age, send to oldest. Hell I do that just to clean up courtiers.

  10. #10
    Field Marshal tnick0225's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The land of eternal rain
    Posts
    2,627
    Quote Originally Posted by themendios View Post
    I don't understand how you aren't following. It's not about whether he wants to have children, it's the frame of the negotiation changing.

    In a regular marriage you offer your daughter to a groom. She will move there and if they were to have children, they would be of his dynasty.
    Considerations for groom's family:
    Childbearing
    Alliance
    Skills of bride (gaining)

    In a matrilineal marriage you offer to take the groom and marry him to your daughter. He will move here and if they were to have children, they would be of her (your) dynasty.
    Considerations for groom's family:
    Alliance
    Skills of groom (losing)
    Prestige gain
    NOT Childbearing because the groom's family doesn't care if you make more of your dynasty or not.
    Don't forget the fact that it makes it easier for them not to have to worry about foreign claims on their throne kind of sows up all those loose edges in their next succession.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts