• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You think those are bad? Look at this one:

ck2-2012-03-12-18-46-17-85.jpg

I was modding in my family, and that was the CoA the game chose for it. It was that which eventually led to me creating the Coat of Arms Generator.

Thats actually a Historic Coat of Arms for Cornwall. The story goes that a noble was captured during the Crusades by Saracens. Cornwall raised 15 Gold Coins, or Bezants to help pay the ransom. Hence the 15 gold coins on the shield.

Thats actually a Historic Coat of Arms for Cornwall. The story goes that a noble was captured during the Crusades by Saracens. Cornwall raised 15 Gold Coins, or Bezants to help pay the ransom. Hence the 15 gold coins on the shield.

he's talking about the dynasty coat of arms, but that's a interesting piece of information, thanks.

God, that's awful. I really miss the pre-1.05 coat of arms for dynasties. I know many of them were far from historical, but at least they had character and you were happy to associate them with great families in each of your games.

Erm... It's the same generator as before 1.05. The CoA that turn up now are made the same way as before - pick a pattern for the shield and (up to) 3 colours. Then throw none or more of the symbols on top.

They were randomly generated before? How come I always saw the same shields for each of the dynasties in my own games as I saw in other people's screenshots and/or let's plays?

Because they're randomly generated from the same seed each time.

This has the effect that dynasties that are there at the start will always have the same CoA for a given version of the game. The thing is that the seed can alter between versions, hence 1.03, 1.04 and 1.05 having different CoA for starting dynasties.

New dynasties that crop up in game (random courtiers, bastards that found dynasties and so on) get completely random arms unless they happen to create a dynasty with a defined CoA (I had the plantagenets randomly turn up in my Munster/Ireland game). I believe the CoA are created based on dynasty number and a seed based on the game version, but I'm not 100% on this.

New dynasties that crop up in game (random courtiers, bastards that found dynasties and so on) get completely random arms unless they happen to create a dynasty with a defined CoA (I had the plantagenets randomly turn up in my Munster/Ireland game). I believe the CoA are created based on dynasty number and a seed based on the game version, but I'm not 100% on this.

From my observation I would that if a dynasty have a fixed dynastic Coa defined, the game don't use it anymore for random courtiers.

Random Coa are only generated once at first launch, if the new version requires it. IIRC, it only occurs with 1.05, not previous patches.
The rules of generation seems to have changed a bit from vanilla (but I don't find them better though)