• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(26764)

General
Mar 14, 2004
So, the random coat of arms generator is impressive as a concept. It successfully creates hundreds of somewhat plausible coats of arms in a game. But boy, does it sometimes make an ugly.

I thought it might be fun to start a thread dedicated to critiquing some of the less tasteful creations you've seen in your games. This isn't a challenge to make your own ugly coat. It's to call out the most ugtastic outputs from the random generator. Bonus points if it's a major dynasty in your game.

I'd like to start with two.

First, let me present the crest of the a Muirebe clan. The Muirebe in my game are kings of Scotland, Norway, and Dukes of most of northern England. They are found all over Europe in great positions. A powerhouse. And this is what they sport on their crests.

Are you kidding me guys? Pastel purple and beige, really? You dominate northern Europe and your coat of arms is a Bill Cosby sweater from the late 1980s? It's a pattern that would go well on a mom's workout leggins or a pair of Hammer pants. And whats with those eagles slapped everywhere. One eagle -- tasteful maybe. But two on top of each other in a column? What is that? Somebody in Scotland needs a lesson on graphic design. It looks like a 12 year old got hold of your shield with a bottle of paste and bag of clip art.

Second, let me present the crest of House Tarchaneitoes. You may not have heard of them. In my game, they have ruled the Eastern Roman Empire for centuries. They are the House of Emperors and family members own half of the Empire directly. And the Empire has done well, expanding south into Arabia.

Really? You're the emperor and that's what you put on your flags and shields? What is that? Frog colors? Green and puke yellow? And what's with that wavy thing? Is that supposed to represent a pool of bile, with phlem over it? Is it a swamp emblem? And for all that's holy, what's with the little Milan snakes? First, that's so unique you clearly stole it from Milan. You're not kidding anybody. Second, what's with stacking them on top of eachother like that. Less is more guys. One looks cool. Two looks like you're trying to overdo it, especially when they're each so small. And again, why the one on top the other thing? Who does that? It also doesn't help that they're on a field of nasty either.

Okay, now its your turn.

to be fair, it's not like you can teach software aesthetics.
besides, historical coat of arms are designed with each symbol representing a meaning, and the arrangement itself represents something else. Of course I'm being very general here.

But back to the coding part...
even if you create algorithms that force the COA-generator to more closely mimic historical precedents and rules, there are still only so much that could be created since each symbol (e.g. dancing lions, curving snakes, goats breathing fire, demons with electric guitars) are pre-generated and all the software could do is move them around.
of course, you could "teach" the software to make them by itself, but you'll end up with something that pretty much deserves to be standalone already (ie. an AI with a sense of aesthetics)

of course, there are some solutions to prevent "ugly" coat of arms. Basically, create algorithms that consider color combination (ie. the software won't combine specific colors like pink and yellow, or at least prioritize complementary colors). Even then, patterns are still pre-generated so unless the software has hundreds of them and grouped into mutually exclusive categories (say cluster A is aesthetically "incompatible" with cluster B).

then again, none of this is economically "worthwhile" in the sense that it doesn't add much enjoyment to the game vis-a-vis the investment in development-hours (ergo financial resources) necessary.

Last edited:
Simple solution: Don't randomly generate your coat of arms! It takes a tiny amount of effort to make one yourself in-game.

Unless.. wait, you can't be talking about NPCs, right? They don't have randomly generated coats of arms do they? I thought they were all preset ones, hence the coat of arms DLC.

Simple solution: Don't randomly generate your coat of arms! It takes a tiny amount of effort to make one yourself in-game.

Unless.. wait, you can't be talking about NPCs, right? They don't have randomly generated coats of arms do they? I thought they were all preset ones, hence the coat of arms DLC.

But many of the preset ones are randomly generated ^^

most (if not all) COA's (dynastic of course) are randomly generated unless you have the DLC (bought/pre-ordered). even then, not all the families have their historic COA with the DLC. even then, new dynasties always have randomly generated COAs, DLC or not

those one you show are not that ugly as they are at least correct in the way they don't have a black emblem on black background f.e.

You might take a look at coa mods like PATRUM SCUTA or mine (see sig).

Both includes :
-completly new patterns for random coa
-nice/historical colors with correct combinations

The COA DLC only adds coats of arms to 50 families. All of the rest are random.

You think those are bad? Look at this one:

ck2-2012-03-12-18-46-17-85.jpg

I was modding in my family, and that was the CoA the game chose for it. It was that which eventually led to me creating the Coat of Arms Generator.

I was modding in my family, and that was the CoA the game chose for it. It was that which eventually led to me creating the Coat of Arms Generator.

I don't know why but I laughed a lot at a medieval lord named Steve. It just seems odd.

Also, why is a man listed as his wife? XD

OMG! Epeleptic fit coming on! Purple and red? That's your choice of colors? And black highlights? Did you just pick every "strong" color you could think of and stick them all together without any concern for our eyes? And if you're going to insist on slapping emblems all over it, might you maybe think about visibility guys? Maybe pick some colors that will show up, with nice distinct lines separating the emblem and the background, instead of something that's the graphic design equivalent of "blaghaghaghagheghm." I know you apparently love ponies, but it would work better if we could see how many ponies you crammed in there.

Edit: In case it wasn't clear: "You" means the random computer COA generator. Not the poster who I am sure has wonderful taste.

Last edited:
OMG! Epeleptic fit coming on! Purple and red? That's your choice of colors? And black highlights? Did you just pick every "strong" color you could think of and stick them all together without any concern for our eyes? And if you're going to insist on slapping emblems all over it, might you maybe think about visibility guys? Maybe pick some colors that will show up, with nice distinct lines separating the emblem and the background, instead of something that's the graphic design equivalent of "blaghaghaghagheghm." I know you apparently love ponies, but it would work better if we could see how many ponies you crammed in there.

You seem to be misunderstanding. If a dynasty doesn't have a coat of arms specified, the game generates one for it. The problem is that the game can't know how it will look, so you can end up like the ones in my screenshot.

You seem to be misunderstanding. If a dynasty doesn't have a coat of arms specified, the game generates one for it. The problem is that the game can't know how it will look, so you can end up like the ones in my screenshot.
I have a feeling he was just being overly sarcastic...

I wasn't critiquing you! Sorry if it sounded like that was directed at your artistic taste and not at the computer making bad art. I realize it's random -- I was trying to poke fun at one of the uglier random generated coats of arms. I am sure you have much more artistic integrity. I shouldn't have said "you" -- by "you" I meant the fictional dynasty not you the poster.

I edited the post to clarify.

It's a joke thread, guys, meant to have a laugh at the silly ways the game puts random CoAs together. Not a complaint thread or a thread asking for "solutions". Can't believe only one person so far seems to get the OP's intent. ;) By the way, can we throw in historical CoAs, too? I think some of them are damn ugly, myself.

And for all that's holy, what's with the little Milan snakes? First, that's so unique you clearly stole it from Milan. You're not kidding anybody.

I've always disliked that the Milanese symbol is available in the random COA generator. Crowns, eagles, lions, horses, these are all pretty generic, but as far as I know that design is unique to Milan. It shouldn't really be cropping up all over Europe.

Having said that I don't think there's anything innately wrong with one eagle on top of another.

BTW, I think the Cornwall COA from above looks kinda cool. Perhaps Cornwall-ians are renowned for skill at eight-ball :).