• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, it's amazing to me how real life can get in the way of things sometimes . . . .

In any case, I'm aiming to pick this story up where it left off before the end of this month.

No hurry! I suppose having a real life is something to be proud of, (and is certainly a valid excuse to not be on the internet regularly, IMO).

I am curious to see what happens next, though.

I like that you did get around to mentioning how Bleddyn the Saxon Lapdog got his power, but it really is wishful thinking to think he was the man to oppose the Normans as anything other than a Saxon ally. His great-grandfather was a friend of Edgar's; his cousin Edwin (yeah, that was his cousin) has a Saxon name just like Bled's granddad did; and his heirs (i.a.) opened the passes for Edward.

All the same, it's the right attitude to have for rebuilding the country. Good work so far, esp. with weaving the personality traits into observations. The only thing I might suggest would be not to pile too many on at once and just let some come through in their actions or earlier deeds.

Gah. Chrome crashed and ate my other reply.

Anyway, the short version is that if you (or your Cymry-loving audience :))'re into world-building, you might want to check out Hywel's laws, esp. the glossary that explains how cymry didn't even cover all the Welsh nobles at this point let alone th commoners. ([post=15042354]Here[/post]'s my takeaway about the game effects of the old Welsh culture). Also, take a look at Drachenfire's old Welsh mod for CK1 for the name lists if nothing else. The discussion has a section on epithets (although if you want to do it right, Welsh mutates). If you're really into it, check this intro out, especially the part on adjectives and interjections (e.g., Wcw!!! is Welsh for "Murder most foul!!!"). This and this are great for place-names for battles or for colony names later on.

Anyway, since Bleddyn already means "wolf" or "wolfcub": maybe something like "bloodclaw" (Bleddyn Crafrudd) or "wolffury" (Bleddyn Bleddfar) would be better than "aquiline" (Bleddyn Eryrawl). But yr call.

I'll hold out hope Gruffydd ap Cynan comes from over the sea with his Irish mercs to ship the Mathrafals off to Northumbria. :glare:

Last edited:
Gah. Chrome crashed and ate my other reply.

Anyway, the short version is that if you (or your Cymry-loving audience :))'re into world-building, you might want to check out Hywel's laws, esp. the glossary that explains how cymry didn't even cover all the Welsh nobles at this point let alone th commoners. ([post=15042354]Here[/post]'s my takeaway about the game effects of the old Welsh culture). Also, take a look at Drachenfire's old Welsh mod for CK1 for the name lists if nothing else. The discussion has a section on epithets (although if you want to do it right, Welsh mutates). If you're really into it, check this intro out, especially the part on adjectives and interjections (e.g., Wcw!!! is Welsh for "Murder most foul!!!"). This and this are great for place-names for battles or for colony names later on.

Anyway, since Bleddyn already means "wolf" or "wolfcub": maybe something like "bloodclaw" (Bleddyn Crafrudd) or "wolffury" (Bleddyn Bleddfar) would be better than "aquiline" (Bleddyn Eryrawl). But yr call.

I'll hold out hope Gruffydd ap Cynan comes from over the sea with his Irish mercs to ship the Mathrafals off to Northumbria. :glare:

Wow! Many thanks for all these information leads! These will be most useful in the coming chapters. (I've found that good information on these subjects can be hard to locate without knowing exactly where to look. This is much appreciated.)

Of course, you're right about the historical Bleddyn. But I think you may be pleasantly surprised about how the plot diverges from history in future chapters of this story . . . .