• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Was not aware of this. Still, I need to do CAS-exclusive doctrines.

Not that much really, since armor units have crappy AA values meaning your CAS wings should not be taking that much return fire during their attacks. There are only four doctines that are of high value for CAS here, and two of those overlap for CAGs. So we are talking about two extra doctrines that Japan would not otherwise be getting anyway. When you factor in the two AT techs that you would not otherwise need, this is more or less a wash.

And remember, we are comparing the CAS approach to the AT approach in other respects besides just the research investment. And the AT approach also has other negatives, such as MUCH higher officer and MP cost, both of which are weaknesses for Japan. A single CAS wing requires no officers at all, versus 100 for an AT brigade. And while the MP costs are a wash unit for unit, you need far fewer CAS units than you would need of AT brigades for the same job, so again the CAS approach is a huge savings. Considering Japan's chronic shortages of both MP and officers, this is another major nod toward the CAS as the more efficient approach.

But the bottom line remains one of personal style. If the AT method seems more fun, jump on it with both feet and to hell with the nitpicky math stuff! :p

Not that much really, since armor units have crappy AA values meaning your CAS wings should not be taking that much return fire during their attacks. There are only four doctines that are of high value for CAS here, and two of those overlap for CAGs. So we are talking about two extra doctrines that Japan would not otherwise be getting anyway. When you factor in the two AT techs that you would not otherwise need, this is more or less a wash.

And remember, we are comparing the CAS approach to the AT approach in other respects besides just the research investment. And the AT approach also has other negatives, such as MUCH higher officer and MP cost, both of which are weaknesses for Japan. A single CAS wing requires no officers at all, versus 100 for an AT brigade. And while the MP costs are a wash unit for unit, you need far fewer CAS units than you would need of AT brigades for the same job, so again the CAS approach is a huge savings. Considering Japan's chronic shortages of both MP and officers, this is another major nod toward the CAS as the more efficient approach.

But the bottom line remains one of personal style. If the AT method seems more fun, jump on it with both feet and to hell with the nitpicky math stuff! :p
I've read that Japan won't have MP issues after taking China. I wish to plan ahead for the conflicts I'll be having after that. Soviets especially.

I've read that Japan won't have MP issues after taking China. I wish to plan ahead for the conflicts I'll be having after that. Soviets especially.

That goes too far. Japan will always have MP issues, but they won't be nearly as bad once China is totally mopped up. And Japan will always find officers a precious commodity, so savings in that area should always be welcome. There are no circumstances in which Japan can afford to be profligate with officers, and there is no percentage in their being profligate with MP when they can achieve the same results with far less expense.

As to the Soviets, you will be facing the same problems only writ larger. The USSR is not going to commit a horde of armor to the crappy terrain and crappy infra of the Asian theater, because it will all be tied down fighting Germany in the higher infra plains of Russia (or, God forbid, the plains of Germany, in which case you are already screwed). That means you won't need your entire army to be equipped with AT defenses. But the AI is also not going to be smart enough to keep armored forces totally OUT of the Asian theater, so you will need some tool at hand to smack the odd tank division around with, and CAS is the cheapest and most efficient option for that.

If you want to think ahead to the Soviets, then think about upgrading all your most experience MIL divs (or INF if you are short on MIL) to create a very large army of elite MTN divs. Those will be your most important weapon for facing the USSR.

That goes too far. Japan will always have MP issues, but they won't be nearly as bad once China is totally mopped up. And Japan will always find officers a precious commodity, so savings in that area should always be welcome. There are no circumstances in which Japan can afford to be profligate with officers, and there is no percentage in their being profligate with MP when they can achieve the same results with far less expense.

As to the Soviets, you will be facing the same problems only writ larger. The USSR is not going to commit a horde of armor to the crappy terrain and crappy infra of the Asian theater, because it will all be tied down fighting Germany in the higher infra plains of Russia (or, God forbid, the plains of Germany, in which case you are already screwed). That means you won't need your entire army to be equipped with AT defenses. But the AI is also not going to be smart enough to keep armored forces totally OUT of the Asian theater, so you will need some tool at hand to smack the odd tank division around with, and CAS is the cheapest and most efficient option for that.

If you want to think ahead to the Soviets, then think about upgrading all your most experience MIL divs (or INF if you are short on MIL) to create a very large army of elite MTN divs. Those will be your most important weapon for facing the USSR.
I'm thinking of equipping the forces that will fight Soviets with AT brigades, a few months before the attack starts. Rest of army can go without them. But MTN is a sensible choice. Coupled with CAV, they will be the main attacking force of my Siberian rampage.

I'm thinking of equipping the forces that will fight Soviets with AT brigades, a few months before the attack starts.

That is a viable approach if your style leans that way. I was just pointing out it is not the most efficient approach, from a game resource standpoint. As I mentioned, the Sovs are not going to be putting a lot of armor in your path for two main reasons:

1. The bulk of it will already be fully engaged with Germany on their European front.

2. The terrain and infrastructure of the Asian front is poorly suited to their use.

So for those two reasons you can do the job of handling enemy armor much more cheaply and efficiently by using CAS instead of AT brigades. Also remember that AT brigades have a hefty penalty on the attack, so if you are planning a "rampage", then the AT guns are a handicap, not an asset. They are meant to stand and oppose enemy offensives, not conduct offensives of their own. Just something else to bear in mind as you lay your plans for dealing with the Bear.

But the bottom line remains: do what seems most fun to you and be damned to the pesky math!

Also remember that AT brigades have a hefty penalty on the attack, so if you are planning a "rampage", then the AT guns are a handicap, not an asset. They are meant to stand and oppose enemy offensives, not conduct offensives of their own. Just something else to bear in mind as you lay your plans for dealing with the Bear.

But the bottom line remains: do what seems most fun to you and be damned to the pesky math!

Code:
   	amphibious = { attack = -0.40 }
   	river = { attack = -0.05 }
	urban = {
		attack = -0.20
	}
   	marsh = {
        attack = -0.20
		movement = -0.70
    }
	jungle = 	{
        attack = -0.30
		movement = -0.30
    }
	forest = 	{
        attack = -0.20
		movement = -0.20
    }
	woods = 	{
        attack = -0.10 
		movement = -0.10
    }
	mountain = 	{
        attack = -0.20
		movement = -0.70
    }
	hills = 	{
		attack = -0.10
        movement = -0.10
    }

AT isn't extra sucky on the offensive anymore. :)

Also, the huge distances between airfields limits Japan's ability to use CAS, even with drop tanks.

This was covered already. Just build a few airbases and leave them undeployed in the queue when they finish building. When you need to run CAS missions in a particular area far from an airbase, drop one from the queue. Simple.

Also dont forget about supply. It is better to give fuel to near airfield to your capital,than to farest. Or you want to cut supply,or worse fuel to your tanks...
Transport planes are option,but very expensive...(both IC,manpower and usage of fuel).
Perfect are Carriers with CAGs-> they can directly receive supply from port,and not from your land forces.