+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Value of Light ships

Value of Light ships

I've been wondering for awhile if the light ships are completely useless except for patrolling sea-lanes by design. For example, the early frigate has less hull size then galleases, less cannons than galleases, and less maneuverability then any other ship I can currently make. Unless I want a cheaper/faster sea-lane protector, I'm better off making no light ships whatsoever. However, the AI doesn't think this, and tends to fill their fleets with mostly light ships, leading to my nation easily securing naval dominance over all others.

Ship Simulator Extremes

Don't forget that shock and fire modifiers also come into the equations. That said I only use light ships for tarrifs and Galleys for everything else. If you have the support limit, you can just swarm with galleys. If anything they are much too cheap.

Seriously, I looked up the vanilla light ships, and normally they're much faster then all other ships including galleys at 10 speed. In MEIOU, they have 1 speed, vs the 5 speed that a transport or big ship has... Something has to be wrong there.

For my actual game, I use a massive fleet of big ships.

I believe they actually have 10 speed, at least that is what their unit file says. It says 1 speed in the game though.
    I did a quick test, a "race" between a galleas and a frigate; the frigate arrived slightliy earlier in the next seazone than the galleas. It looks like the very slow speed is just a display bug.
    That said, I think that lots and lots of galleys are better, since they are so cheap and not much worse than the light ships.

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the Eagles
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    Teleglitch: Die More Edition

Quote Originally Posted by galdor123 View Post
    I believe they actually have 10 speed, at least that is what their unit file says. It says 1 speed in the game though.
    I did a quick test, a "race" between a galleas and a frigate; the frigate arrived slightliy earlier in the next seazone than the galleas. It looks like the very slow speed is just a display bug.
    That said, I think that lots and lots of galleys are better, since they are so cheap and not much worse than the light ships.
    Indeed it is a display bug. What units does the bug effect? I just loaded up with the last bookmark as Great Britain and looked at the Heavy Frigates in their fleet. Their speed displays properly as 10, so this bug does not effect everything.

I think that if we can solve the display issues we should consider making small ships faster.

EDIT:
    I searched the files and the only light_ship units that have speed 10 are early_frigate, frigate, and heavy_frigate. heavy_frigate is the only one that displays 10 properly.
    Last edited by James_Manring; 16-05-2012 at 08:32.

That's interesting. Faster speed for light ships sounds like a good idea, as I believe that galleys already have a speed of 8 or 9. Anything to make light ships more attractive (well if you are colonising you have to get some light/big ship for the tariffs, and while they're at it, they can serve as pirate deterrents. But that's it).

Out of curiosity, what exactly is the penalty galleys get for not being in the Mediterranean? Oh, and does the baltic sea also count as an "inland" sea?

F-CEO of EUIV:MEIOU and Taxes gigau's Avatar
    93 games registered

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandHearts of Iron: The Card GameCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Roaming zombishly... looking for icooooonsssss !
    Blog Entries
    - Speed : shouldn't galleys be slower than that ?

- Galleys get their bonus on "inland sea"... open the terrain.bmp file of the map folder : all in blue is "inland sea".
    • Europa Universalis III : MEIOU --- MEIOU Subforum in english | MEIOU on Twitter | MEIOU on Facebook | MEIOU Online Manual •
    • If you have zero infamy, then you're wasting everybody's forgiveness. - Zzzzz...
    •
    • Europa Universalis IV •
    • MEIOU and Taxes - It falls on to me to rule the entire world,... and don't forget to bring me my taxes ! - Download >>> HERE <<< •

M&T Subforum | M&T en Franηais | M&T on Facebook | M&T Wiki | M&T Report Tickets
    • Yes, I should have realised by now that when asking EOOQE, you don't ask if something is possible. You have to ask how - jrgen3 •
    • Ainsi Je Frappe - the level 1 unit sprite revamp. •
    Discussion thread | Vanilla version on Workshop | DLC version on Workshop | M&T version on Workshop | M&T and DLC version on Workshop
    • Awarded the SAS Award for Forum Dedication •
    • Vice-Zombiemaster of the Icon Zombie Club ! •

A Game of DwarvesHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneImpire
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

I think one of the reasons why real life fleets were not made of big ship is the cost (money and manpower) of :
    1 - upkeep
    2 - building new ones as the technology progresses
    That make me think that maybe a light ship should have the firepower of a big ship two generations older so that big ships become outdated even if you don't lose them in battle. This way the player has the choice to either spend many money to have an up-to-date heavy navy, or spend less money to have an up-to-date light navy that could win against an heavier but older one. Of find a way between.
    And a country who lost his navy in battle has no upkeep cost and can build a modern one, while the winner has to allow a big part of his income to the upkeep of an ageing fleet.

You can add that lighter ships can use the narrower passes to their advantage in achipelagoes/coasts. If it is possible, it would be good to give to light ships an advantage in coastal provinces ("brown water"), similar to what galleys get in inland seas. And maybe the light ships should share the "inland sea" bonus with galleys.

The combination of those two factors would allow historical outcomes like the Invincible Armada being beaten by lighter but more modern ships around the coasts of Great Britain.

As time goes by, the light ships should get a big advantage against galleys regarding firepower. And galley should be very sensitive to the "time at sea" factor. AFAIK, the reason why they were still used in Mediterranea till the XVIIIth century was that they were quite cheap, and strong enough to fight the Berberian pirates.

Galleys and Galleases Should be significantly slower than any of the other ship types. They were independent of wind direction and good for quick bursts of speed in combat, but rowers tire easily, and require a ton of supplies to keep them going, so they would have to keep near shore and stop regularly for provisioning. This would mean that any navy attempting to travel long distances would not have brought galleys along at all. Ideally, Galleys and their ilk would only be able to travel one or two sea-zones from their 'home waters,' and should never be allowed to enter 'blue water' due to their inability to operate in rough seas. Another part of the problem is that the AI doesn't suffer naval attrition at all, so it's not uncommon to see Japanese galleys in the North Sea when that would have been physically impossible.

And galley should be very sensitive to the "time at sea" factor. AFAIK, the reason why they were still used in Mediterranea till the XVIIIth century was that they were quite cheap, and strong enough to fight the Berberian pirates.
    This is not quite accurate. Galleys were shallow draft, maneuverable, and reasonably easy to build, while slavery made them cheap to equip and operate. This makes them useful in rugged coastal warfare, where a bigger, less maneuverable vessel would have trouble operating. Since a lot of the Italian, Greek, and Barbary naval fighting took place in these conditions, galleys were able to remain useful for longer than in other regions where the better sea-keeping qualities, longer range and better firepower of the larger sailing vessels was more useful due to the majority of naval combat taking place in open waters.

Quote Originally Posted by gigau View Post
    - Speed : shouldn't galleys be slower than that ?

- Galleys get their bonus on "inland sea"... open the terrain.bmp file of the map folder : all in blue is "inland sea".

Maybe rather than giving galleys a bonus, large ships could get a penalty in 'inland sea.'

And I do believe that galleys should be slower than pretty much any other ship type. as I mentioned above, their advantage was in short bursts, but they were not fast over longer distances.

F-CEO of EUIV:MEIOU and Taxes gigau's Avatar
    93 games registered

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandHearts of Iron: The Card GameCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Roaming zombishly... looking for icooooonsssss !
    Blog Entries
    Modding this is not yet within my skills. I shall have to get back to it later on.
    • Europa Universalis III : MEIOU --- MEIOU Subforum in english | MEIOU on Twitter | MEIOU on Facebook | MEIOU Online Manual •
    • If you have zero infamy, then you're wasting everybody's forgiveness. - Zzzzz...
    •
    • Europa Universalis IV •
    • MEIOU and Taxes - It falls on to me to rule the entire world,... and don't forget to bring me my taxes ! - Download >>> HERE <<< •

M&T Subforum | M&T en Franηais | M&T on Facebook | M&T Wiki | M&T Report Tickets
    • Yes, I should have realised by now that when asking EOOQE, you don't ask if something is possible. You have to ask how - jrgen3 •
    • Ainsi Je Frappe - the level 1 unit sprite revamp. •
    Discussion thread | Vanilla version on Workshop | DLC version on Workshop | M&T version on Workshop | M&T and DLC version on Workshop
    • Awarded the SAS Award for Forum Dedication •
    • Vice-Zombiemaster of the Icon Zombie Club ! •

+ Reply to Thread