Darkest Hour VS Arsenal of Democracy

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
AI? not at this level my dear.

Such a game, rolling on our small config can NOT have an AI worth the name (at least what is called an AI in IT science). Anyway such is my opinion, and it cost me some troubles with the guy who modded the ai file with HOI2 (he also did it for HOI3, so he is competent, but still ... no AI).

Having tested Aod and DH last year (only bought DH a couple of days ago); I did preferred the way the 'AI' reacted in DH, or more accuratly the way the various interactions a player may have with the other elements are handle.

HOI3 (FTM) is still ... unfinish, it is too easy as Germany to pirates oil/rare/iron/money from the other countries with a careful planning of trades; it is in my opinion even easier than with HOI2 and more rewarding, because you can have +200 opinion just by trading, and initiate a shift to your corner!

Let say last year when I tested DH, I was not able to phagocyte(?spelling) the world market as I usually do with HOI2 or Hoi3.

For me it was more like hoi2(AD,IC,DH) VS. hoi3, but I dont see real conflict jut deferent approach, pardoxs own focus and what you prefer.

I have been playing Hoi2, aod, Dh and HoI3 + nearly all available mods for all of these games. For me, the good sides of DH are - map, resource cap system. I liked combat in World in flames mod but for some reason it feels a bit boring to me in DH. Production and especially combat is better in AoD. Aod also has a very good supply system. These two games suffer from balance issues so if I had to choose between ARMA, AoD and DH I would pick ARMA - sorry but it is still best, especially in terms of balance.

HoI3 is superior to all of them in nearly every aspect (BTW, you can see foreign minister in the latest version) The main drawback is that it is more demanding in both planning and execution and can become tedious so eventually you might find asking yourself "do I really need that many units to conquer that many provinces?" This increased difficulty to grasp the game prevented me from playing HoI3 until Semper fi came out but I am glad for this turn of events because other titles like Vicky were slightly dumbed down IMO. Combat AI in HoI3 is way better than in any other HoI game, naval, tech and production AI still sucks as it always had in comparison with a human player. Combat mechanics and supply system are completely different story than in other HoI2 based games except for AoD which at least quite successfully emulates Hoi3 in these aspects (combat, supply).

The problem with HoI3 is that the vanilla game has many game balance issues like a nonsensical fixed resource cap, too cheap production of everything (because gearing bonus grows both in parallel and serial, not only in serial like in HoI2 and this economy of scale brings many problems). I think that since EU3 vanilla games tend to be less polished (primarily in game balance issues) in the end so I rely more heavily on mods these days, even in multiplayer. Personally, I think that, right now, HoI3 with AS or BlackICE are a pinnacle of WWII grand strategy experience. But I repeat, I still play other games, even HoI1 from time to time.

Last edited:
WiF isn't a major mod imo since it's more or less integrated in DH Vanilla Full.

You should try other mods like TRP, NWO2, KR, and AAR. I like DH better due to more flavor events and a less sandbox game.

That aside, I think HoI2/DH is the only game to have a remotely accurate East Asian (china) sphere through mods (CCIP, TRP). I'm already busy working on CCIPv0.2 as it is.

WiF isn't a major mod imo since it's more or less integrated in DH Vanilla Full.

I was referring to WiF mod for ARMA which I played like crazy in 2009. Its DH version is just a quick port from arma version like majority of the DH mods with the most important exceptions - AAR and NWO. I was comparing combat in that mod with DH combat because it is similar and some ideas for DH started in WiF mod for ARMA.

You should try other mods like TRP, NWO2, KR, and AAR.

again, TRP and KR suffer from serious issues because they were developed for years for ARMA and their conversion to DH has not been fully functional so far, at least when compared to their highly polished status as mods for ARMA. Of course I played NWO and AAR too and I find them more intriguiging than hasty ports of KR or TRP. For these, it is better to play them with ARMA, not DH, at least at the moment.

That aside, I think HoI2/DH is the only game to have a remotely accurate East Asian (china) sphere through mods (CCIP, TRP). I'm already busy working on CCIPv0.2 as it is.

Well several years ago I played CCIP for Doomsday but it was rather a gfx pack with some new leaders and a bunch of events, not total conversion style mod. Until now I have not even known that people still work on it.

again, TRP and KR suffer from serious issues because they were developed for years for ARMA and their conversion to DH has not been fully functional so far, ...
... than hasty ports of KR or TRP. For these, it is better to play them with ARMA, not DH, at least at the moment.
I am quite sure you can tell me, why TRP 1.00 is a "hasty port" and in how far "the conversion of TRP to DH is not fully functional" !
As to my knowledge all functions of TRP are running well with DH and already a lot of DH features were integrated.
I can't even agree if you are speaking about TRP version 0.95, which was a version for DH but using the old map ...

I am quite sure you can tell me, why TRP 1.00 is a "hasty port" and in how far "the conversion of TRP to DH is not fully functional" !
As to my knowledge all functions of TRP are running well with DH and already a lot of DH features were integrated.
I can't even agree if you are speaking about TRP version 0.95, which was a version for DH but using the old map ...

...when compared to their highly polished status as mods for ARMA.

I did not play the latest TRP 102 but 0.95 unsurprisingly had a worse game balance than 0.94b which is the last I played for ARMA. Me and my friends enjoyed several MP games with TRP for ARMA. DH with its own issues in production, trade and combat combined with conversion impact resulted in a worse balance, no wonder. Changing a map, changing unit stats or changing battle losses is linked to changing unit speed, unit costs, factory cost, manpower growth, global resources and money produced etc. Proper testing in MP takes years so I think it is normal that for example barbarossa (and the whole game) ends in two weeks after June 22 41 because GER buffs for barborarossa are suddenly too strong compared to the same mod for a different game. I think much more stuff in TRP would be different if it was first developed for DH, not ARMA. that is why I recommended to play 0.94b (with a hotfix for GER manpower growth). This is more true for multiplayer purpose because several people invest their time and effort to a game and they dont want it to end abruptly.

...when compared to their highly polished status as mods for ARMA.

I did not play the latest TRP 102 but 0.95 unsurprisingly had a worse game balance than 0.94b which is the last I played for ARMA.
Oh, i doubt this.
The difference between 0.94 and 0.95 is basically some bug fixing. It is a "hasty" port on DH, which used still the old map, so still the same old infra levels, the same doctrines, the same AI etc. pp.
So IF there are issues coming from the transfer to the DH engine, they only can arise with TRP 1.00 and following versions.

Edit:
Thank you, Fernando ;-)

Well several years ago I played CCIP for Doomsday but it was rather a gfx pack with some new leaders and a bunch of events, not total conversion style mod. Until now I have not even known that people still work on it.
It's more or less a total conversion of the China theater currently.

If you look at the AAR website, click on timeline, and see my latest changes there, you'd see that I've been working on CCIP fairly recently, with some large changes incoming.

Also, CCIP for ARMA was never just a "bunch of events". There was more than 300 events in CCIP for ARMA (I'd know cause I converted them one by one for DH).

again, TRP and KR suffer from serious issues because they were developed for years for ARMA and their conversion to DH has not been fully functional so far, at least when compared to their highly polished status as mods for ARMA. Of course I played NWO and AAR too and I find them more intriguiging than hasty ports of KR or TRP. For these, it is better to play them with ARMA, not DH, at least at the moment.
LMAO. Seriously? Have you played the latest versions at all? KR and TRP both do a great job. AAR has(had? haven't played in a couple months) issues, but is definitely coming along.

again, TRP and KR suffer from serious issues because they were developed for years for ARMA and their conversion to DH has not been fully functional so far, at least when compared to their highly polished status as mods for ARMA. Of course I played NWO and AAR too and I find them more intriguiging than hasty ports of KR or TRP. For these, it is better to play them with ARMA, not DH, at least at the moment

You're seriously joking, right? "Hasty ports"? They are full fledged ports, not even recognizable to their previous versions, and are solely being developed specifically for DH? You may have been right about TRP back at DH 1.0, but it's completely different now (the map alone proves that), whilst KR has always been a complete conversion.

LMAO. Seriously? Have you played the latest versions at all? KR and TRP both do a great job. AAR has(had? haven't played in a couple months) issues, but is definitely coming along.

You're seriously joking, right? "Hasty ports"? They are full fledged ports, not even recognizable to their previous versions, and are solely being developed specifically for DH? You may have been right about TRP back at DH 1.0, but it's completely different now (the map alone proves that), whilst KR has always been a complete conversion.

Dammit, you're right :laugh:

Off to start a new campaign

BTW, for example playing Canada in KR for DH is vastly different to KR for HoI2. The basic mechanics of the game has changed (like production) but most things in the mod remained the same or nearly the same (like IC, resources, event chains). This results in great divergences in game balance.

dafuq-did-i-just-read-meme.jpg

Why do you compare such different games? Of course production, techs and whole game mechanics are changed - in intention was to do that!

EDIT: Cant delete thumbnail... nvm...

Attachments

• dafuq-did-i-just-read-meme.jpg
    dafuq-did-i-just-read-meme.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
If you guy's are in a VS. mode, take a look at this thread and feel free to be constructive:

Your Thoughts on DH

It's not really a VS. thread (I'm carefully trying to avoid that so), I'm just sure we're all curious as to what the outside world feels about our game.

I disagree that DH is at it's peak of HoI2.

Even when 1914->AAR->TRP->NWO2->MDS is implemented in Vanilla, we still have 1900 scenario left to do.

Many game machenics will be reworked in future patches. And there are many many ideas that the DH team can implement in an expansion or two (focus on neglected areas, dynamic tech team creation/deletion, dynamic tech team skills, dynamic leader creation/deletion, a useful implementation of the political system that has no purpose in HoI3)

I disagree that DH is at it's peak of HoI2.

Even when 1914->AAR->TRP->NWO2->MDS is implemented in Vanilla, we still have 1900 scenario left to do.

Many game machenics will be reworked in future patches. And there are many many ideas that the DH team can implement in an expansion or two (focus on neglected areas, dynamic tech team creation/deletion, dynamic tech team skills, dynamic leader creation/deletion, a useful implementation of the political system that has no purpose in HoI3)
To be honest I doubt I live to see the day when AAR, NWO and perhaps Kaiserreich are incorporated to the original game. It just sounds too perfect :(
I'd gladly lend my hand but I am not much of a modder. My mods have always been very simple, I'm not the one for elaborate multi-choice gameplay modding like AAR.