• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yay! Let's play Darkest Hour!

EDIT: Italy's claims should be updated, as doesn't claim whole Albania, but claims some of Roman territory. Bulgaria's claim should be also revise, I'm not sure it's WAD. Also, what was Iraq's status? IRL it was under Ottoman control, but the events at the beginning said only Syria was under Roman control.

EDIT2: The puppets are constantly joining into the alliance of their owners, like Sinkiang into Comintern, and more importantly, Anatolia and Syria into the Allies. Even if I throw them out from the alliance and the war, they join back right after I reload the game.

EDIT3: After playing with it briefly, until the alliances and events were completly messed up, here are my notes:
- The Empire has become really strong. High tech (even 1937 techs at start!) fairly high IC, which could be the final nail into the game; simply that sides wins, which gets Roman Empire on their side (if Rome is human, I haven't let the AI to play with it)
- I don't see why is it so strong. IRL that area (and the whole Mediterran) was pretty underdeveloped that time, and the history shows constant warring against the neighbours. She's not even a colonial power!
- It's pretty underdeveloped in regards of airbases and naval bases. There could be some more in Greece.
- It's rather underdeveloped in case of navy. I don't see Rome to join the Washington Naval Treaty, so I see no reason why she has so few (yet, rather modern) ships. In case of a very bad defensive against the Axis (in case Allied path is chosen), it's hard to evacuate the greek divisions to Anatolia with just 2 transports and several ships, while Italy mops the area with mass ships and aircraft. I suggest 5-7 transports at the beginning, and more than 11 ships (?).
- Relation to Romania is not menioned, IRL they claim to be the quasi successors of the romans.
- How did Iraq got there? IRL that was controlled by the Ottoman, but here, it wasn't by the Roman Empire.

Other:
- What is the greatest extent of the Empire can reach in the terms of cores/events?
- A rather annoying bug in the engine, if I join to the Allies, and the Axis conquers Greece (w/w/o Istanbul) and then they get smashed by SU, I can't get my provinces back from the SU in any way :(

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, and sorry for the sloppy work :(

- Iraq in this timeline belonged to Egypt for most of its history (Egypt is basically the Ottomans of this timeline, sans their European expansion). When the British subjugated Egypt in late 19th century Iraq was removed to form its own protectorate (and exists in a much similar state as Egypt in 1936) while Palestine was integrated into the British colonial system.
- I can do nothing about Puppets joining their masters' wars and not getting your provinces back in wars. They are issues with DH itself and for example puppets joining their masters' wars was added in 1.03Beta and can be disabled in misc.txt (which this mod does not affect).
- I'll check the Italian events again. TBH they were the last thing I wrote into this mod before releasing 1.4 and I understand there are problems and I will fix them.
- I'll lower the Empire's IC for the next version. I gave the Empire more IC mainly because you are likely end in a three front war if you join the Axis. But still, in this timeline the region isn't nearly as poor as it is in our world, though I suspect 40-something base IC is more appropriate. I will also lower the benefits from events.
- I will add more air and naval bases for next version as well. I only recently learned to tweak bases.inc file which allows me to build extra structures in provinces. With the pressure from MOTM competition and my studies, I rather hastily tweaked it and I could expect it to fail :(
- As for Romania, I have left their existence open for the time being. While I have already decided that they existed as Wallachia and Moldavia under either Roman, Russian or Austrian protection over time, I'm not sure how to deal with the united country. Perhaps I will even break it and create the new nations of Wallachia and Moldavia, or rename Romania into something else.
- The greatest extent the Empire can extend depends entirely on you. You have cores on Anatolia and claims on Syria but otherwise I haven't introduced surrender events yet. For next version I will, however, for example make an event which cedes you Southern Italy if Italy surrenders to Allies and Germany controls all of Italy/Sicily.
- Bulgarian claims I've let be because they have been a constant pest for the Empire throughout its existence (both in our and this mod's timelines) and this is just something that I have let in to ensure Bulgaria and Rome have poor relations with each other.

Again I'm sorry for the poor design and all that :(

I'll try to release a new version this weekend but I have an Evolution and Ecology Basics exam next Tuesday so we'll see how easily I can fix these problems.

Are the Roman counters really intended to have purple boxes and a strange flag of random colours such as green, cyan, red and everything else? I bet not. Any idea how to fix that or why that could be?

Some suggestions: As the Roman Empire is a regional maritime power split by water, it should have a robust coastal defence focus navy with limited blue water capability (thus can afford to stick to older, smaller vessels). So some older submarines and cruisers along with more destroyers are a given, with less focus on large ships. Destroyers are especially essential to balance with the number of capital ships in their navy.
They could use a tech team or two for encryption, computing and electronics. Generally better infrastructure is essential for the empire if it is to make sense compared to the technological level and industrial capacity of the empire.

Last edited:
Are the Roman counters really intended to have purple boxes and a strange flag of random colours such as green, cyan, red and everything else? I bet not. Any idea how to fix that or why that could be?

Some suggestions: As the Roman Empire is a regional maritime power split by water, it should have a robust coastal defence focus navy with limited blue water capability (thus can afford to stick to older, smaller vessels). So some older submarines and cruisers along with more destroyers are a given, with less focus on large ships. Destroyers are especially essential to balance with the number of capital ships in their navy.
They could use a tech team or two for encryption, computing and electronics. Generally better infrastructure is essential for the empire if it is to make sense compared to the technological level and industrial capacity of the empire.

if byzantium is on the axis side and they defeat the soviets, are there events for the byzantines to keep crimea, armenia and maybe west caucasus parts?

So, Whenever I hover over a fleet, my game crashes (every single time) - any help?

P.S I accidently Renamed DH light instead of the copy of DH full I made so that's where I messed up originally :)

OMG, why didn't i know of this mod??????????

i hope that those old products of mine will inspire you:
http://www.joemonster.org/p/736707/size/oryg
http://www.joemonster.org/p/736706/Dimokratiki_Osmopondia_tou_Vizantiou

edit:
also this might be of help, especially the bottommost image
http://www.ict.griffith.edu.au/wiseman/Roman/GreekPerspective.html

edit 13.12.12
ok letsee
byzantium has national claim over all otl turkey, but only political claim over cyrpus and phoenitia... hmm...
also, no claims over albania, or burgas? another thing is, that since there was no ottmoans who would have islamized albanians and serbs to become bosniacs... actually i think that albanians would be either assimilated by serbs or greeks.

also i propose default national claims on:
malta, siracusa, taranto, cyrenaica (benghazi area + darnah) and alexandria

Last edited:
Hello,

I have the following problem: on startup, I get the error "couldn't open file: brigade_types.txt"

I got this message earlier, as the game asked for divisio_type.txt, so I copied the one of WIF2
No I don't know what to do, since I don't have another brigade_type.txt in the whole game folder... please help

of course I have done that before... there just isn't a brigade_type.txt at all in my WHOLE game folder. I did a reinstall of DH 1.03 RC2 today, just before I installed this mod. And to answer the coming question, I didn#t put it in /program files, or in any other folder protected by Windows

edit: I'm very sorry, error found in my own silliness

Last edited:
Got a REALLY annoying bug involving minister pesonalities-it just won't load. Whenever I try, it says I lack any minister personalities whatsoever and crashes. Is there any possible way in which to get past this or has this mod bugged itself out?

Deus Eversor: "copy all files from dh full into the mods folder, then put the mods files into that folder"

I got a recuring bug that make me crash to desktop regularly. Each time it's when i put the cursor on Athens. How can I correct it?

I found the problem...some of the ships have unknown string attachement at the beginning of the game. I think they provoqued the bug

I made some events for you Finnish

Code:
event = {
	id = 500000
	random = no
	country = GRE
        trigger = { flag = mexatas }

name = "1937 Roman Elections"
	desc = "Imperial Prime Minister Ioannias Metaxas has called an election to legtimize his postion, however with the support of the Imperial throne Metaxas is using paramilitary groups to force the people to vote for his party and give him and his party total control of the senate."
	style = 2
	picture = "election_time"

date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1937 }
	offset = 5
	deathdate = { day = 30 month = january year = 1937 }

action_a = {
		name = "Ioannis Metaxas- New Roman Party"
		ai_chance = 90
                command = { type = trigger which = 500001 }
	}
	action_b = {
		ai_chance = 5
		name = "Emmanouil Tsouderos- New Green Party"
		command = { type = set_domestic which = democratic value =  7}
		command = { type = set_domestic which = political_left value = 4 }
		command = { type = headofgovernment which = 90030 }
		command = { type = foreignminister which = 90051 }
		command = { type = armamentminister which = 90074 }
		command = { type = ministerofsecurity which = 90093 }
		command = { type = ministerofintelligence which = 90112 }
		command = { type = chiefofstaff which = 90125 }
		command = { type = chiefofarmy which = 90134 }
		command = { type = chiefofnavy which = 90143 }
		command = { type = chiefofair which = 90150 }
		command = { type = setflag which = democracy }
	        command = { type = clrflag which = metaxas }
        }
	action_c = {
		ai_chance = 5
		name = "Themistoklis Sophoulis- Blue Party"
		command = { type = set_domestic which = democratic value = 8 }
		command = { type = set_domestic which = political_left value = 6 }
		command = { type = headofgovernment which = 90025 }
		command = { type = foreignminister which = 90046 }
		command = { type = armamentminister which = 90066 }
		command = { type = ministerofsecurity which = 90088 }
		command = { type = ministerofintelligence which = 90110 }
		command = { type = chiefofstaff which = 90123 }
		command = { type = chiefofarmy which = 90133 }
		command = { type = chiefofnavy which = 90141 }
		command = { type = chiefofair which = 90147 }
       }

}

event = {
	id = 500001
	random = no
	country = GRE
	trigger = { 
}

name = "The end of democracy"
	desc = "Now that Metaxas and the New Roman Party have total control of the senate they can now have the power to ban all opposition parties all they need is the support of the imperial throne."
	style = 2
	picture = "Reichstag"

action_a = {
		name = "Democracy is overeated."
		command = { type = dissent value = 5 }  
                command = { type = set_domestic which = freedom value = 3 }
        }
}

event = {
	id = 500002
	random = no
	country = GRE
        trigger = { flag = democracy }

name = "1937 Roman Elections"
	desc = "Imperial Prime Minister Emmanouil Tsouderos has called an election to legtimize his postion. The parties running are the consevative New Green Party led by Tsouderos, the liberal Blue Party led Themistoklis Sophoulis , and finnaly the autocratic and nationalist New Roman Party led by Ioannis Metaxas."
	style = 2

date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1937 }
	offset = 5
	deathdate = { day = 30 month = january year = 1937 }

action_a = {
		ai_chance = 50
	}
	action_b = {
		ai_chance = 50
	}
	action_c = {
		ai_chance = 0
		command = { type = set_domestic which = democratic value = 4 }
		command = { type = set_domestic which = political_left value = 2 }
		command = { type = headofgovernment which = 90028 }
		command = { type = foreignminister which = 90049 }
		command = { type = armamentminister which = 90070 }
		command = { type = ministerofsecurity which = 90092 }
		command = { type = ministerofintelligence which = 90111 }
		command = { type = chiefofarmy which = 90008 }
		command = { type = chiefofnavy which = 90009 }
		command = { type = chiefofair which = 90149 }
		command = { type = setflag which = metaxas }
                command = { type = clrflag which = democracy }
	}

}

event = {
	id = 500003
	random = no
	country = GRE

name = "1941 Roman Elections"
	desc = "It is once again time for the people of the Roman Empire to vote for there senators to form the new government of the empire. The parties running are the consevative New Green Party led by Emmanouil Tsouderos, the liberal Blue Party led Themistoklis Sophoulis , and finnaly the autocratic and nationalist New Roman Party led by Ioannis Metaxas."
	style = 2

date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1941 }
	offset = 5
	deathdate = { day = 30 month = january year = 1941 }

action_a = {
		ai_chance = 50
	}
	action_b = {
		ai_chance = 50
	}
	action_c = {
		ai_chance = 0
	}

}

event = {
	id = 500003
	random = no
	country = GRE

name = "1945 Roman Elections"
	desc = "It is once again time for the people of the Roman Empire to vote for there senators to form the new government of the empire. The parties running are the consevative New Green Party led by Emmanouil Tsouderos, the liberal Blue Party led Themistoklis Sophoulis , and finnaly the autocratic and nationalist New Roman Party led by Alexandros Koryzis."
	style = 2

date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1945 }
	offset = 5
	deathdate = { day = 30 month = january year = 1945 }

action_a = {
		ai_chance = 50
	}
	action_b = {
		ai_chance = 50
	}
	action_c = {
		ai_chance = 0
		name = "Alexandros Koryzis- New Roman Party"
	}

}

event = {
	id = 500004
	random = no
	country = GRE

name = "Prime Minister Ioannis Metaxas is dead"
	desc = "Prime Minister since 1936, Metaxas has ruled virtually as a dictator along side the Imperial throne and now it is up to the throne to pick a new prime minister."
        style = 2
	picture = "minister_died"

date = { day = 29 month = january year = 1941 }

action_a = {
		name = "Alexandros Koryzis- new leader of the New Roman Party"
		ai_chance = 75
                command = { type = headofgovernment which = 90029 }
        	command = { type = sleepminister which = 90028 }
	        command = { type = sleepminister which = 90049 }
	        command = { type = sleepminister which = 90238 }
                command = { type = sleepminister which = 90241 }
                command = { type = sleepleader which = 90016 }
        }
	action_b = {
		ai_chance = 25
		name = "Emmanouil Tsouderos will restore democracy."
		command = { type = set_domestic which = democratic value = 7 }
                command = { type = sleepleader which = 90016 }
                }
}

event = {
	id = 500005
	random = no
	country = GRE

name = "Ioannis Metaxas dies"
	desc = "The leader of the New Roman Party, Ioannis Metaxas, is dead. Without his authority or skill the New Roman Party is already weakening as it goes through a power vacumn."
	style = 2
	picture = "minister_died"

action_a = {
		name = "Memnto Mori"
                command = { type = sleepleader which = 90016 } }
	}
}

Sorry about my lack of presence. I'll get to work this weekend.

Thanks imperator for the new events. I greatly appreciate your helping effort :)

I try to finally push out a new version this weekend. Mostly fixing the events that currently are broken and add new flavor events.

P.S. To all having problems I would advice to double check that you have copied your DH full before installing this mod. If you use the stuff you download in OP alone, it will not work because I don't want to upload the whole game just to get one mod working.