• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So far:
I think there should be more events, some political and some diplomatic in the pre-war period.
Political:
1) If you choose the prince, then maybe some protests because the people were snubbed, and the Princess can try a coup or calm them and accept the prince.
2) If you choose the princess, then maybe the military could attempt to stage a coup and put the prince in power.
Diplomatic:
1) I think maybe royal marriage with Bulgaria could be proposed, and maybe forced (since the Empire and Bulgaria aren't very friendly) and make Bulgaria a vassal state, so like an early conflict for the player to experiment in.
2) If you join the Allies, maybe Byzantium should be able to negotiate for former Byzantine lands in Turkey and the Middle East. It presents a problem if your allies have some of your core territory that maybe you could bring up in some treaty.
3) If you join the Axis, perhaps Byzantium can make a pact between Germany and Italy dividing up the Balkans. Additionally, if Italy and Byzantium claim the same territory, maybe a 'Roman Civil War' can be declared as the two fight for control of Rome's former territory, forcing Germany to pick one of the two.

Last edited:
that works, seems very heavy handed though. Any thoughts on how come it's not working with the mod launcher?

A lot of smaller mods work like that. I don't bother replicating half the game just to make my few files to work so I let you do it. Right in the OP where you downloaded this mod from I did write how to install this mod, very simple stuff. Better have the user replicate his DH Full folder than for me to upload it.
So far:
I think there should be more events, some political and some diplomatic in the pre-war period.
Political:
1) If you choose the prince, then maybe some protests because the people were snubbed, and the Princess can try a coup or calm them and accept the prince.
2) If you choose the princess, then maybe the military could attempt to stage a coup and put the prince in power.
Diplomatic:
1) I think maybe royal marriage with Bulgaria could be proposed, and maybe forced (since the Empire and Bulgaria aren't very friendly) and make Bulgaria a vassal state, so like an early conflict for the player to experiment in.
2) If you join the Allies, maybe Byzantium should be able to negotiate for former Byzantine lands in Turkey and the Middle East. It presents a problem if your allies have some of your core territory that maybe you could bring up in some treaty.
3) If you join the Axis, perhaps Byzantium can make a pact between Germany and Italy dividing up the Balkans. Additionally, if Italy and Byzantium claim the same territory, maybe a 'Roman Civil War' can be declared as the two fight for control of Rome's former territory, forcing Germany to pick one of the two.

Good ideas, I'll think about them :) As far as Turkey is concerned however for now they DoW you with Germany if you join the Allies (or rather turn down German offer) so you can just conquer them. Coups because of imperial succession sounds excessive but I'll think of something.

Last edited:
Good ideas, I'll think about them :) As far as Turkey is concerned however for now they DoW you with Germany if you join the Allies (or rather turn down German offer) so you can just conquer them. Coups because of imperial succession sounds excessive but I'll think of something.
On the matter of Turkey, what year is that? I joined Allies 1939 and Turkey is still a French puppet. And for the coups, I agree, I was just trying to think of possible political intrigues to keep the player busy during the pre-war years. Byzantium starts out kinda small, so they probably won't gain the ability for power projection until post-war period.
But also you're welcome. :) I like this mod, I think it's definitely a great alternate history idea. Also it starts out Byzantium small, which is nice because you basically get to build your own empire from scratch in an extremely strategic area of the world. I strongly encourage you continue working on it, because I really would like to play it. Haha :D

When France falls, Germany will offer you alliance. If you turn it down they offer alliance to Turkey, which they accept. Then Germany gets the event to DoW you when they attack Yugoslavia, drawing you against Turkey, Germany and Italy. I will change this later but I have never been good with event triggers :(

And thank you for the kind words :)

Ah I see, so Byzantium is supposed to play the waiting game until late 1940, early 1941. In that case I definitely suggest some new events in the 1936-1940 area to keep the player busy, such as what I mused over earlier or otherwise. Maybe the option to engage in a proxy war to establish a monarchical vassal state in Albania against Italy? Like a civil war between the puppet Albania and and a Monarchist Albania. If Byzantium intervenes and wins, then they can incorporate them as a vassal (puppet) state. Also, expanding upon the Bulgaria idea maybe you can attempt to arrange a Royal Marraige (make them a vassal) that most likely fails. After that, you can choose to pressure Simeon II with threat of invasion (slightly larger chance to succeed in making a vassal). Finally, if all else fails you can roll into Bulgaria, occupy the country, vassalize or annex.
And you're welcome. :)

Competition in Albania sounds good. A Fascist Byzantium would not stand against Italy as they both are driving at the same goals, but a democratic Byzantium could well strive for aid when Albania is under attack.

EDIT: two new pictures on OP.

Last edited:
Competition in Albania sounds good. A Fascist Byzantium would not stand against Italy as they both are driving at the same goals, but a democratic Byzantium could well strive for aid when Albania is under attack.

EDIT: two new pictures on OP.

a fascistic byzantium would join italy so it can take vlore and tetovo before the italians do

Lord Finnish said:
Yeah, I'd think it'd be especially true since the Balkans would be almost entirely Eastern Orthodox due to no Ottoman Empire.

I think its pretty likely that fascist Byzantines and fascist Italy could co-operate only very shortly, both have militaristic ideologies and both strive to be "the true" Rome. Thus, war between them should be very likely, just as much as between democratic Byzantines and fascist Italy.

I think its pretty likely that fascist Byzantines and fascist Italy could co-operate only very shortly, both have militaristic ideologies and both strive to be "the true" Rome. Thus, war between them should be very likely, just as much as between democratic Byzantines and fascist Italy.
At least until WW2 is over they would be full time allies. Byzantium would have minimal interest in whacking Italy and Hitler would definitely not allow two of his allies fighting each other while the real enemy is still around (for example Hungary and Romania were one phonecall short of war for most of their "alliance").

I think I would tweak with relations. For example a reconciliation would be possible with +150 or higher relations, and maybe throw in some chance as well. Byzantium would - and did - bear a lot of grudge over the Pope's declaration of the Holy Roman Empire but it's long time gone and I can see Mussolini forcing the Pope to recognize Byzantum as the "true" successor to the Empire (or rather, recognize it as the Roman Empire)

At least until WW2 is over they would be full time allies. Byzantium would have minimal interest in whacking Italy and Hitler would definitely not allow two of his allies fighting each other while the real enemy is still around (for example Hungary and Romania were one phonecall short of war for most of their "alliance").
I agree. I think German influence would keep the two together in the Axis for World War II, but there would probably be a race for the Balkans.

Byzantium would - and did - bear a lot of grudge over the Pope's declaration of the Holy Roman Empire but it's long time gone and I can see Mussolini forcing the Pope to recognize Byzantum as the "true" successor to the Empire (or rather, recognize it as the Roman Empire)
I don't know if Mussolini would do such, because he was a true imperialist (the Mediterranean being an Italian lake) and he also wanted to rebuild the Roman Empire... While I don't know if he necessarily would claim Italy to be the Roman Empire, I doubt he would give Byzantium that honor because it would erode part of his ultranationalist support.

I don't know if Mussolini would do such, because he was a true imperialist (the Mediterranean being an Italian lake) and he also wanted to rebuild the Roman Empire... While I don't know if he necessarily would claim Italy to be the Roman Empire, I doubt he would give Byzantium that honor because it would erode part of his ultranationalist support.

I can totally see Byz and Mussolini vying to make the pope a better offer!

Finnish,The Byzantine Empire is absolutism or constitucionalism?

Hmmh, quite true. Mussolini always seemed to act before thinking.
I admit that I dream of having Italy as the Western and Byzantium as the Eastern Empires, closely knit together, but I suppose Mussolini in his great arrogance would ruin such plans.
Finnish,The Byzantine Empire is absolutism or constitucionalism?
Constitutionalism. The Emperor used to wield absolute power but had to relinquish power following WW1. The Emperor's word carries a lot of weight but like in (WW2 era) Japan the crown is not the highest authority of power.

Last edited:
Hmmh, quite true. Mussolini always seemed to act before thinking.
I admit that I dream of having Italy as the Western and Byzantium as the Eastern Empires, closely knit together, but I suppose Mussolini in his great arrogance would ruin such plans.
Yes, but a Byzantium on the victorious Allies' side might get to have the 'Roman Occupation Zone" in Italy, which they rebuild as the Western Empire. That might help realize your dream and give a reason to play past 1945.

Yes, but a Byzantium on the victorious Allies' side might get to have the 'Roman Occupation Zone" in Italy, which they rebuild as the Western Empire. That might help realize your dream and give a reason to play past 1945.
Sicily would work as well. Sicily as an integrated zone and Naples occupied until returned to Italy some time later?

Sicily would work as well. Sicily as an integrated zone and Naples occupied until returned to Italy some time later?

some areas of south italy can be national for the byzantium as many greeks still live there and talk greek, in ancient times 80% was greek, then by time this number reduced, then went up again when the byzantine empire fall(1453) and then went down again because greeks were living with the italians, bassicaly today greeks live in the far south italy and sicily

some areas of south italy can be national for the byzantium as many greeks still live there and talk greek, in ancient times 80% was greek, then by time this number reduced, then went up again when the byzantine empire fall(1453) and then went down again because greeks were living with the italians, bassicaly today greeks live in the far south italy and sicily
That's true. I would perhaps give it a few years delay but south Italy, if conquered, would become cores in 2-3 years (while Sicily would take some 10)

That's true. I would perhaps give it a few years delay but south Italy, if conquered, would become cores in 2-3 years (while Sicily would take some 10)
Oh, my thought was if Byzantium was on the Allies side and they win the war, Byzantium would be charged with the occupation and rebuilding of Italy and would have a 'Roman Occupation Zone' similar to the Allied and Soviet ones in Germany. And through this after some rebuilding events the ROZ could convert into the Western Roman Empire.