• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lord Finnish

A man of science and culture.
74 Badges
Sep 4, 2006
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
Every Paradox game needs a Byzantium/Rome mod, and here is one entry for Darkest Hour :)

This mod allows you to play as the Byzantine Empire, though named "Roman Empire" as it was its official name, in the 1936 scenario. For general backstory there will be events explaining the course of history soon after you start the scenario.
The Empire uses Greek ministers, techs and tech teams though the latter two have been considerably improved, as you will be fighting either a two-front war if you join the Axis or you will be fighting all of mainland Europe if you join the Allies. Byzantium starts with 48IC and 10% peacetime penalty, though you can boost your IC by 5 if you select the appropriate domestic policy decision a few months after the start.
In February 1936 your current Emperor, Manuel XVI, dies and you get to pick his successor. The options are Princess Theodora (who becomes Theodora II) who is favored by the people and provides a small IC and research bonus (2% on both), and Prince Constantinos (who becomes Constantinos XXI) who is favored by the army and provides +5% Morale and Org bonuses. Whichever you pick has no impact on which side you can choose in the war, this is entirely for flavor.
Once you pick your Emperor you can define the Empire's future policies. You can be friends with Germany, you can fortify the country, you can jump a few sliders but again these do not affect your future decision. You can try be friends with Germany and still join the Allies.

Roman entry in WW2 will happen after French defeat to Germany. Turkey, a French puppet, will be released and Germany will file a request for alliance for the Empire. If you agree to this you ally with Germany and another event allows you to DoW Turkey (for now don't DoW people on your own). If you refuse the German proposal they will do the same to Turkey, who will agree, join the Axis and Germany will wait another year and attack you when they attack Yugoslavia (if Yugoslavia joins Axis they won't attack you - but this will be corrected in later versions). From that point onwards - just try to be on the winning side.

SCREENSHOTS

The cabinet under Theodora I
Starting position (ignore the since-fixed doomstack in Constantinople :p)
Emperor's Death
Emperor Constantinos shapes his country
Byzantine entry in the Axis
Whacking 'em Turks
Invading Russia (badly)

The Empire in the Allies
Hope you built forts.

Borders of the Empire
To give an image of this timeline.
Ignore nations other than the Empire.

1877, before the Bulgarian War
1880, after Bulgarian independence
1914, at the start of Great War

DOWNLOAD

Version 1.4 (LATEST, COMPATIBLE WITH 1.3 RC2)

A bit thanks to DarkArk for making SKIF icons for this mod!

To install, replicate your DH Full folder, name it appropriately and place the files in the download in there (and thus overwrite them)​

Changelog:
- Added some stuff to Emperor inauguration speeches.
- Removed Soviet guarantee from Bulgaria
- Tweaked coup events - they still fire but don't change HoS.
- Changed German alliance event to fire after Germany occupies Paris
- If ruled by a fascist government, the Empire can now intervene in the Spanish Civil War on the Nationalist side.

- Added the Empire better naval techs and doctrines.
- Renamed two tech teams
- Fixed Constantinos' Speech

- Changed picture for Constantinos (thanks BeardedHoplite!)
- Tweaked events, Theodora now pushes Democratic while Constantinos boosts Authoritarian.
- A democratic Empire can intervene for Republican Spain in the SCW.
- New text for SCW.
- Added mod icon.
- Added counter.
- Extra VP in Turkey
- Added 1 naval tech team. Actually there are two but didn't get the other one working
- Expanded the Empire's military. about a dozen new divisions, 3 new interceptor wings and lots of new ships.
- Fixed tech team file. Scenario now loads properly.
- (possibly) fixed German AI not starting Barbarossa while at war with the Empire.
- Extra starting manpower

- Mod now compatible with 1.3 RC2
- Changed name of Turkey to Republic of Anatolia, also changed flag.
- Changed the names of Kemal Ataturk and Ismet Inonu to ones that fit this verse.
- Theodora is now Theodora II
- New events:
* Ascension of the new Ecumenical Patriarch, Benjamin I, in 1936.
* Coronation events for the Theodora and Constantinos, with information about their personalities and histories. Did the same for Manuel XVI.
* Events that describe the Empire's history so far.
* Confrontation with Italy when they come for Albania
* Greek coups removed. Instead, you can now appoint either a Social Conservative or Paternal Autocrat government in 1936.
- Changed starting setup
* Removed Delay tech from the Empire, gave it Marine techs.
* More starting IC, and removed the event that did the same.
* Gave the Empire a HQ and better aircraft.
* Increased the skills of the Empire's leaders (2 point increase for each)
- Included SKIF icons in bulk download.
- Something else, I think?

CREDITS:
- KaiserMuffin for inspiring me and creating template to work on
- gianlucad for Byzantine colorscale.
- Vaximilian for Byzantine shield and flag.
- DarkArk for SKIF icons.
- Lord Finnish for all else.

Future plans:
- Counter and TopBar for the Empire (tried both but failed miserably)
- More flavor events
- Surrender events
- Byzantium in WW1
- Refining war events.

Last edited:
Reactions:
why is the roman empire, NOT IN ROME? what about Italy? will byzantine have claim over it? will the ROME promised by Mussollini claim on byzantine? or will Italy and Byzantine work together and have a merger and become the monopoly of mediteranian?

Sure, I can write up some Commie events. For now though, the current cabinet would never join since 1) the Soviets are obviously anti-monarchy and 2) the Empire feels a lot of hate for Soviets destroying Russia which was the Empire's primary ally until WW1.

I have been thinking of making at least a Communist "Roman People's Republic" which can be released by USSR if they occupy the Empire.

EDIT: Byzantium is not in Italy since they lost it over a thousand years ago. Italy and Byzantium have good relations and Italy won't attack Byzantium unless they end up in opposing camps. I have been thinking about having Italy as the Western and Byzantium as the Eastern Empire, which in times in the future would merge into one. Flavor events will be exploring this further in the future.

Is that Gerald Butler as Constantinos? Looks like a cool mod though, I'll DL it later

EDIT: Would this be compatible with the Greece improvement pack? At least for the ministers and generals?

Last edited:
No idea who the Constantinos is - ask KaiserMuffin. Theodora's picture I just googled and I don't know who she is, though someone from the first half of the 20th I guess. Manuel XVI's pic is that of George I of Greece.

As far as Greek Improvement Project is concerned the leaders should work as-is with this mod, but ministers need a bit of tweaking.

Do you know this mod? http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?335721-Anatolian-Wars-1.00
Maybe there's something useful for you.
And here as well
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?281647-Legacy-of-Rome-A-Byzantine-AAR

Good luck and it'd be grand if you could stay as realistic as possible with this.
I personally am toying with the idea of what and how could Byzantium (with Turkey larger and more closer to real life than in your map) behave and do in Cold war setting.

I'll check those two. :)

As far as Turkey is concerned, I decided to leave them under the table since I doubt the Turks would ever have stopped mauling the Byzantines until either side achieved total victory. In this scenario the Greeks did win, and thoroughly so, and Greeks eventually replaced Turks in coastal Anatolia while leaving the inland, what now is the rump Turkey, multi-ethnic like Czechoslovakia. Dare I say that if such topics were allowed I'd have the fascist Byzantines "finish the job" or so to say when they conquer Turkey and ally with the Nazis.

I think you're mistaken. Why would Turkey never stop at trying to take Constantinople? If it would fail more then 3-4 times in a major war against Byzantines, it would stop its "we want to be Rome" policy and redirect its attention to where it can succeed - be it south, east or north. From realistic point of view I think Byzantine in 1930s could be the same size as Greece, if it could have somehow changed its attitude and just dug in to hold what it was supposed to get in Treaty of Sèvres (this is not supposed to be criticism of your mod, I'm just sharing what I intended for my cold-war mod if I'd ever get to continuing it) - so, Smyrna, Gallipoli and Adrianople would be all that Byzantine would hold. And thus, Greece might have changed its name to Rome(Byzantine) in ~20s. Instead of trying to force Turkey to accept the treaty, they should have just dug in these provinces and hold them with no offensive operations - its unlikely that Turkey would have been capable to push them out of fortified positions sooner than in ~1925-27 and only by huge losses. And maybe not even then. So, that would be unlikely to happen, thus they would have no peace treaty, but no active war either (like Lithuania and Poland). However, such Byzantine would fall as soon as Italy and its friend Germany would attack it in 1940 and Turkey would grab everything back even without joining Axis officially. Thus, in 1945 there would be interesting situation, with Greece/Byzantium probably demanding even Istanbul for the losses suffered and Allies would be hard pressed to object to that.
In addition to that (and that has little to do with Byzantine), in my mod plans, newly born and revanshist Arab federation would attack Turkey in ~1949 and Byzantine (or Balkan federation, if succeed in forming) would gladly join in the fun against Turkey. But thats for another mod, back to this and Byzantines.

Hm, seeing how Ottomans never got around to occupying and islamizing Balkans...
Would Albania still be the same in this scenario?
Would it actually exist in the first place? May be split it between Byzantine/Yugoslavia?
Or perhaps they were the Greece/Serbia of this timeline - Supported by Brits/Russians and the reason for WW1?

@Ithron: Of course, I see your point. Alternate history is full of speculation and we take our own views on it. I do not however agree with the notion that I am mistaken in any way. Since this is alternate history there is no absolute truth and thus one can't be mistaken.
Turks never stopped in this scenario - they were stopped. Byzantium reclaimed and annexed Anatolia and thus destroyed the Turk kingdoms. In fact they never even fully lost it. The main clashes with foreigners happened with Egypt and Persia which continued up until 19th century when Britain subjugated Egypt and Persia just feel behind time. The republic of Turkey in this mod is a product of a peace treaty not an actual nation. It's like Yugoslavia except that its ethnicities (Greek, Turk, Kurd) don't feel much sympathy towards each other. Before WW1 Byzantium controlled all of Anatolia, Syria and Palestine while Iraq was independent and under British influence.
Hm, seeing how Ottomans never got around to occupying and islamizing Balkans...
Would Albania still be the same in this scenario?
Would it actually exist in the first place? May be split it between Byzantine/Yugoslavia?
Or perhaps they were the Greece/Serbia of this timeline - Supported by Brits/Russians and the reason for WW1?
I was thinking that Albania was forcibly released after WW1 - the whole point is simply that I want as little change to the core game as possible. What I do know is that Albanians already existed as a people in medieval era so there is reason to assume their people would develop the way it did in real life - though with less Turks and Islam.
They start out as an Italian puppet (as they do in the core game IIRC) to reflect their status as a League of Nations protectorate.

Last edited:
Actually, KaiserMuffin got the colorscales from me. I MADE THEMMMMM! :(