Every Paradox game needs a Byzantium/Rome mod, and here is one entry for Darkest Hour
This mod allows you to play as the Byzantine Empire, though named "Roman Empire" as it was its official name, in the 1936 scenario. For general backstory there will be events explaining the course of history soon after you start the scenario.
The Empire uses Greek ministers, techs and tech teams though the latter two have been considerably improved, as you will be fighting either a two-front war if you join the Axis or you will be fighting all of mainland Europe if you join the Allies. Byzantium starts with 48IC and 10% peacetime penalty, though you can boost your IC by 5 if you select the appropriate domestic policy decision a few months after the start.
In February 1936 your current Emperor, Manuel XVI, dies and you get to pick his successor. The options are Princess Theodora (who becomes Theodora II) who is favored by the people and provides a small IC and research bonus (2% on both), and Prince Constantinos (who becomes Constantinos XXI) who is favored by the army and provides +5% Morale and Org bonuses. Whichever you pick has no impact on which side you can choose in the war, this is entirely for flavor.
Once you pick your Emperor you can define the Empire's future policies. You can be friends with Germany, you can fortify the country, you can jump a few sliders but again these do not affect your future decision. You can try be friends with Germany and still join the Allies.
Roman entry in WW2 will happen after French defeat to Germany. Turkey, a French puppet, will be released and Germany will file a request for alliance for the Empire. If you agree to this you ally with Germany and another event allows you to DoW Turkey (for now don't DoW people on your own). If you refuse the German proposal they will do the same to Turkey, who will agree, join the Axis and Germany will wait another year and attack you when they attack Yugoslavia (if Yugoslavia joins Axis they won't attack you - but this will be corrected in later versions). From that point onwards - just try to be on the winning side.
- Added some stuff to Emperor inauguration speeches.
- Removed Soviet guarantee from Bulgaria
- Tweaked coup events - they still fire but don't change HoS.
- Changed German alliance event to fire after Germany occupies Paris
- If ruled by a fascist government, the Empire can now intervene in the Spanish Civil War on the Nationalist side.
- Added the Empire better naval techs and doctrines.
- Renamed two tech teams
- Fixed Constantinos' Speech
- Changed picture for Constantinos (thanks BeardedHoplite!)
- Tweaked events, Theodora now pushes Democratic while Constantinos boosts Authoritarian.
- A democratic Empire can intervene for Republican Spain in the SCW.
- New text for SCW.
- Added mod icon.
- Added counter.
- Extra VP in Turkey
- Added 1 naval tech team. Actually there are two but didn't get the other one working
- Expanded the Empire's military. about a dozen new divisions, 3 new interceptor wings and lots of new ships.
- Fixed tech team file. Scenario now loads properly.
- (possibly) fixed German AI not starting Barbarossa while at war with the Empire.
- Extra starting manpower
- Mod now compatible with 1.3 RC2
- Changed name of Turkey to Republic of Anatolia, also changed flag.
- Changed the names of Kemal Ataturk and Ismet Inonu to ones that fit this verse.
- Theodora is now Theodora II
- New events:
* Ascension of the new Ecumenical Patriarch, Benjamin I, in 1936.
* Coronation events for the Theodora and Constantinos, with information about their personalities and histories. Did the same for Manuel XVI.
* Events that describe the Empire's history so far.
* Confrontation with Italy when they come for Albania
* Greek coups removed. Instead, you can now appoint either a Social Conservative or Paternal Autocrat government in 1936.
- Changed starting setup
* Removed Delay tech from the Empire, gave it Marine techs.
* More starting IC, and removed the event that did the same.
* Gave the Empire a HQ and better aircraft.
* Increased the skills of the Empire's leaders (2 point increase for each)
- Included SKIF icons in bulk download.
- Something else, I think?
- KaiserMuffin for inspiring me and creating template to work on
- gianlucad for Byzantine colorscale.
- Vaximilian for Byzantine shield and flag.
- DarkArk for SKIF icons.
- Lord Finnish for all else.
- Counter and TopBar for the Empire (tried both but failed miserably)
- More flavor events
- Surrender events
- Byzantium in WW1
- Refining war events.