• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This changes gameplay for the player, too, but could help a bit if the AI didn't have enough time to overload the supply network. On the other hand, if the player/British AI attacks Norway, the problem will reappear.

Anyway, preventing the German AI from DOWing Norway is still the simplest and the safest temporary solution IMO.

no, several mods have found easier and safer solutions. the most prominent most likely are lothos lua files. he did put much work into that problem. of course 3.06 unbalanced the whole thing so it will take a while until it works again. you could of course look it up yourself instead of just complaining about it. well, you can't...

This changes gameplay for the player, too, but could help a bit if the AI didn't have enough time to overload the supply network. On the other hand, if the player/British AI attacks Norway (or moves units there before Norway surrenders), the problem will reappear.

Anyway, preventing the German AI from DOWing Norway is still the simplest and the safest temporary solution IMO.
Nope, preventing the German AI from DOWing Poland is still the simplest and the safest permanent solution.

But nobody needs just a solution. Good solution is always preferable, and map changes actually don`t need a lot of work.

no, several mods have found easier and safer solutions. the most prominent most likely are lothos lua files. he did put much work into that problem. of course 3.06 unbalanced the whole thing so it will take a while until it works again. you could of course look it up yourself instead of just complaining about it. well, you can't...
I don't know which version the guy used, but I'm pretty sure it was not 3.06 beta, as it was not out back then. Also, AFAIK Lothos is not doing LUA updates anymore and one of the devs said that the PI used his LUA files and even improved them in 3.06. I can't check this, as my brother's computer is 600 km away ATM and I don't have FTM in Cracow and I'm running a SF AAR. Also, please, stop telling me what I can or cannot do or what I am allowed or not allowed to do, as you have no idea what you are talking about, nor it is any of your business.

Not DOWing Norway is obviously an easy and safe solution, as there is little risk for the AI involved and everyone can implement this change, as it requires little modding skill. If the others found various ways of "tricking" the AI into not falling into the Norway trap, then that's great! In SF I've encountered the problem several times (with and without mods), although it doesn't always happen. Norway is the most glaring problem, but in fact it exists in all areas with low supply. It is, strictly speaking, an AI-only problem, as the player knows that their cannot use many units in low-supply areas and will ship units out of them if the situation becomes critical. Therefore, I agree with those who claim a long-term solution would involve AI changes.

Nope, preventing the German AI from DOWing Poland is still the simplest and the safest permanent solution.
The problem has nothing to do with the German DOW on Poland ;).

Good solution is always preferable, and map changes actually don`t need a lot of work.
Well, sure, you can create ten 10-lvl ports in Norway and nobody will ever have supply problems there, but the real problem is not connected with the supply system, as it works as it should in Norway (which should be a supply-constrained environment), but with the AI. If you look at how the AI behaves during amphibious invasions, then you will notice that it doesn't seem to take the supply constraints of a given area into account and transports as many units as it can to X.

The problem has nothing to do with the German DOW on Poland ;).

Well, sure, you can create ten 10-lvl ports in Norway and nobody will ever have supply problems there, but the real problem is not connected with the supply system, as it works as it should in Norway (which should be a supply-constrained environment), but with the AI.
Still solves the problem, Right?

The problem is exactly AI`s inability to use supply system, and putting in a large pot, and a better infra line will satisfy everyone, while the absence of dow will not. See, a better solution.

sorry, cybvep you you were asking about a solution. the lua files are one solution! nearly everyone who owns the game is using 3.06 by now and 3.05 or 3.06 doesn't really matter. i know what i am talking about while you talk about a game you neither play nor own...

Still solves the problem, Right?

The problem is exactly AI`s inability to use supply system, and putting in a large pot, and a better infra line will satisfy everyone, while the absence of dow will not. See, a better solution.
If you say so... IMO by doing that you are essentially removing the point of having the supply system in the first place, while preventing the AI from DOWing Norway is actually better for the AI, since there is little reason to invade Norway (the historical reasons for the invasion don't really exist in HOI3 Vanilla). Many players skip Norway or invade it only for RP reasons, in Vanilla the AI only invades Norway because that's what Germany did IRL, not because it needs to. However, if the AI cannot handle this situation, then I would prefer if the AI didn't DOW Norway in the first place. That's my opinion, though - one can use other temporary solutions.

sorry, cybvep you you were asking about a solution. the lua files are one solution! nearly everyone who owns the game is using 3.06 by now and 3.05 or 3.06 doesn't really matter. i know what i am talking about while you talk about a game you neither play nor own...
I won't respond to trolling.

If you say so... IMO by doing that you are essentially removing the point of having the supply system in the first place, while preventing the AI from DOWing Norway is actually better for the AI, since there is little reason to invade Norway (the historical reasons for the invasion don't really exist in HOI3 Vanilla). Many players skip Norway or invade it only for RP reasons, in Vanilla the AI only invades Norway because that's what Germany did IRL, not because it needs to. However, if the AI cannot handle this situation, then I would prefer if the AI didn't DOW Norway in the first place. That's my opinion, though - one can use other temporary solutions.

I won't respond to trolling.
Well, you know, Germany usually invades France without supply problem. What is the point of supply system if you can ignore it most of the time anyway?

You never heard of people, b4 about AI invading Poland 1 month too early, and so on, didn`t you?

I don't understand, how can you compare France with Norway logistically-wise? Have you ever compared the number of divisions involved in these campaigns IRL or even in a typical HOI3 game? You definitely cannot ignore the supply system, I don't know where did you get that idea from. It's one of the biggest HOI3's advantages over HOI2, actually. You can always play on Arcade supply mode if you think that it's pointless.

I don't understand, how can you compare France with Norway logistically-wise?
By levels of infrastructure.
:cool:
Have you ever compared the number of divisions involved in these campaigns IRL or even in a typical HOI3 game? You definitely cannot ignore the supply system, I don't know where did you get that idea from. It's one of the biggest HOI3's advantages over HOI2, actually. You can always play on Arcade supply mode if you think that it's pointless.
Well, i never encounter logistical problems in France.
Nor did i had any logistical problems in Norway, because i`s a one-day campaign for 4 divisions.
Comparing no-problem with no problem, i do not see problem.
:rofl:

While I do not have loads of playthroughs (and I'll be using 3.05 until 3.06 is done getting its tweaks ironed), Germany has yet to have a problem in Norway. The only thing I've found is that it usually runs out of MP in Russia (which is fine with me). But then I've seen it win Barbarossa too. It IS rather horrific at stopping a naval invasion, at least by the US. I watched the US pull off Overlord more than once before 1943, and the UK/Canada try to do so but not send enough troops. Still waiting to see an attempt at Sealion, though (maybe I'll lend them a bunch of transports this game).

IMO the only problem bugging me in HOI now is how nerfed the Allies are in the beginning: Poland with ridiculous starting laws in 3.5 (volunteer army?) and France... well, the French issue has been discussed many a time.

Been out of town recently so I haven't been able to respond. Someone asked what version I was playing. FTM with most recent patch is what I play. The Norway issue is a case study in AI flaws. I'm not sure why people are bringing Ethiopia into this, as that has no affect on Japan being conquered by Shanxi or Germany getting stuck in Norway. It would be nice to see the devs acknowledge and address the Norway issue in the upcoming patch rather than sarcastically implying I'm imagining things or playing a different game.

Been out of town recently so I haven't been able to respond. Someone asked what version I was playing. FTM with most recent patch is what I play. The Norway issue is a case study in AI flaws. I'm not sure why people are bringing Ethiopia into this, as that has no affect on Japan being conquered by Shanxi or Germany getting stuck in Norway. It would be nice to see the devs acknowledge and address the Norway issue in the upcoming patch rather than sarcastically implying I'm imagining things or playing a different game.

the point is that nearly nobody has seen the behavior in 3.05. it did happen in some of the older lua files from lothos but apparently you are not using those.
i suggest you try the 3.06 beta. it has drastically improved the invasion ai and is using better lua files compared to 3.05.

Your topic reminds me of a (presumed) bug I encountered.

I was playing as Hungry and placing troops along the Soviet border to reinforce the Nazi line. This was prior to Barbarossa, but after the fall of France.

A region in Norway was taken by rebels and almost the entire Nazi front was dispatched to deal with this small problem. Big fail.

A region in Norway was taken by rebels and almost the entire Nazi front was dispatched to deal with this small problem. Big fail.

LOL! That sounds hilarious. Could you imagine what WW2 would have looked like if they actually did that?

Well, Fuhrer - I believe the rebels should be dealt with harshly. Activate plan, "Kill it Until It's Dead". The rest of the war can wait.