+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Events compatible with a total conversation mods

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourLead and GoldMajesty II CollectionSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries

Events compatible with a total conversion mods

Hello,

I am working hard in last few weeks on my latest mod Mare Nostrum. It is a total conversion mod for Divine Wind. I created a map from scratch, new cultures, tech groups, religions, countries...etc. So, many decisions and events are not compatible with it. But there are important events needed by the game to work properly: for example bankruptcy event. I have not experience with events and decisions but I tried to select important events and decisions which are not map or tag (because old map and old tags) related.

I chose these events and decisions with my little experince:

I need help and advices about this.

Wow, ambitous project. I'd finish ideas and advisors first and anything else before going to events/decisions/missions. As some events refer to ideas/ modifiers etc. Then I would run the validator on each event file one at a time, by removing all but 1 event file from your mod folder. Keeping the rest backed up in a safe place. The validator will find all the invalid tags (cause they no longer exist) invalid modifiers if removed from game, and tons of other issues. If you run all the events together it gets overwhelming. Easier to sort 1 file at a time.

When you find an event with an invaild tag, either sub a new tag in if that would work, change the trigger to not use a tag or remove the event if it doesn't fit into the mod. I have to do this type of thing later on myself. Goodluck with it.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourLead and GoldMajesty II CollectionSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight

Blog Entries
    I need necessary events to make the game work at first. For example if a country goes bankrupt when there is no related bankrupt file in event folder, wouldn't I get CTD?

I like total conversations

HoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSupreme Ruler 2020
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    EUIV: Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by Uokko View Post
    I like total conversations
    Be nice - someday quizás algún día tú te encontrarás con una situación en la que no eres un hablante nativo.

CanOmer:
    conversation - dialogue between two people
    conversion - change or replacement

Redgreen has a good idea - just remove/replace one event at a time... it will take you a long time to do it, but you'll be happier with the results.
    EUIII: DW Mods
    Occultus Orbis Terrestre
    Ars Lingua

EUIV: AoW Mods
    [MOD] Occultus Orbis Terrestre for euIV - Idea only. The current OOT team is awesome.
    [MOD] A Canticle for Leibowitz

"A language is a dialect with an army and navy" - Max Weinreich - Meyer Lazarevich Veynreykh - "אַ שפּראַך איז אַ דיאַלעקט מיט אַן אַרמיי און פֿלאָט"

Quote Originally Posted by CanOmer View Post
    I need necessary events to make the game work at first. For example if a country goes bankrupt when there is no related bankrupt file in event folder, wouldn't I get CTD?
    You wouldn't get a CTD, there would just be no events associated with bankruptcy. Like the trigger for those events is is_"bankrupt = yes" Without the events, there is no trigger, with no trigger, no event. The game is perfectly happy running no events at all. Of course you will want to add them in, but you can do that 1 event file at a time as you diagnose which tags need to be removed from triggers and which events need to be removed altogether. Like no need for any HRE related events. Certain events that you don't need wouldn't cause a problem. Like if an event had a trigger based on HRE, it simply would not fire but wouldn't cause an issue. Having an erroneous tag in an event that is no longer in game would probably cause a crash eventually. Such as NOT { tag = SPA } If Spain is no longer a vaild tag, then this trigger is then invalid and if the game reads it in an event, it could cause an issue.

Edit - just to clarify, even though you don't have the HRE anymore as your in 200BC. You don't necessarily want to remove an event that has a trigger related to HRE. Certain events have numerous triggers and the HRE trigger might just be one of them. So for certain events, you could simply remove the HRE trigger, perhaps if the event only fires for HRE triggers, you could remove that event altogether. Though leaving an HRE trigger wouldn't really be a problem, as I mentioned, the event would just never trigger. But its just extra code for the game to read.

The things that are big issues are invalid tags, invalid modifiers (if you remove a modifier that was vanilla then that modifier becomes invalid if its in any events as an effect) Oh and be sure to remove all your country tags that you are no longer using before running validator.

When you run your mod be sure to use these in your mod file:

replace = "decisions"
    replace = "events"
    replace = "missions"
    replace = "history"

If you used extend = "events" the game will still be loading all vanilla events, and many of these will crash the game. This way you control what events/decisions/missions the game is reading. You don't want the vanilla alliances or wars anymore either, as they would cause CTD's with invalid tags now.

For a total conversion mod, eventually you might want to add
    replace = "common"
    being sure to first add all the original files into your mods common folder/then overwriting those with your modded files. You have to remove erroneous tags from triggered modifiers as well. Or really anywhere they are located, except csv files.
    Last edited by redgreen99; 15-05-2012 at 09:03.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTaxman View Post
    CanOmer:
    conversation - dialogue between two people
    conversion - change or replacement
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redgreen99 View Post
    You wouldn't get a CTD, there would just be no events associated with bankruptcy. Like the trigger for those events is is_"bankrupt = yes" Without the events, there is no trigger, with no trigger, no event. The game is perfectly happy running no events at all.
    Thanks a lot for the large information. That is what I want to learn.

Be nice - someday quizás algún día tú te encontrarás con una situación en la que no eres un hablante nativo.
    Por supuesto

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneIron CrossEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiVictoria 2Pride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Be nice - someday quizás algún día te encontrarás con una situación en la que no seas un hablante nativo.

s.
    For example...
    CAMPEONES LIGA ESPAÑOLA 2014
    Mi blog... de todo un poco

+ Reply to Thread