Thread: WebGL version?

Question WebGL version?

Are there any plans, from anyone at all, to make a HTML5 client that makes use of WebGL?

Currently im aware of these clients, beside the official one, but they all use Java which is kinda prehistoric IMHO:
    1. APXEOLOGs client
    2. Enders client

Lol
    The tinder drill broke.

No there is no HTML5 version and I highly doubt there will be. The original game is made with Java so its easy to assume that its not going to happen. Unless you want to try to recompile the code into HTML5 format....

General Demi Moderator
    Sword of the Stars

Is HTML 5 even fully out of development yet? Nobody is even using it that I'm aware of, beyond some experimental stuff.

Question: If Java is prehistoric, then maybe I shouldn't be using BASIC to do office apps and macros in? Maybe I shouldn't be using C/C++ to program games in? Are you really serious?...

no, the html 5 spec isn't final yet but yeah lets make a client in that because java is old. other things that are old and shouldn't be used (because they are old) include c and lisp. you really want to be using a new language, like javascript. lmao
    The tinder drill broke.

If it's not broke don't fix it. Plenty of things use java and C\C++ and they are pretty damn good. So why go to a different language if the "old" one works just fine.

HTML5 has a lot of limitations (including performance limitations) that would make this an unrealistic goal.

As for Java being old... its really not, its a solid language with strong support.

lol cause javascript is uberness , in that fact why not html 4 ? cause it only has 6 functions less then html5 .

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by MagicManICT View Post
    Is HTML 5 even fully out of development yet? Nobody is even using it that I'm aware of, beyond some experimental stuff.
    http://www.illyriad.co.uk/
    If you want to always be right,
    you need to always be prepared to change your mind.

uhmmmm

For those that dont know the difference between Java and JavaScript, or even HTML5 and previous versions: dont try to mingle in, just read and educate yourself a bit

When i said Java is kinda prehistoric i meant in respect to cross platform programming for the web, that's what it is used for mostly isn't it?
    I have nothing against OLD languages in general, hell i loved to code in assembler and C++

When it comes to being fully out of development: Is ANY technology used really out of this stage? They all still keep evolving...
    HTML5 with WebGL is just the newest direction the technology is heading after Java and Flash....But this time its a global-community project instead of a single company product...
    But yes, its a rather new technology, but by no means unstable or unusable...
    (Thx siis for providing a link to a working HTML5 game)

I would love to set my teeth into this project to re-code it from Java to WebGL if i knew these 2 languages, but unfortunately i don't...
    I have never coded in Java, and i never done anything using Graphics like Shaders etc that GL uses...
    But i thought others might be able to because; it seems this game is using the same GL to draw its graphics as WebGL uses...
    Both based on "GL ES" right? i could sound like a total new here but like i said i never done graphics...

Oh when it comes to performance limitations:
    That's completely depended on the browser and operating system used, but not the language itself.
    The browsers etc are all updated from time to time to get faster and faster as we know...

But anyways:
    I didn't say the company should stop their development in java.
    I just asked if anyone at all was interested or already busy in making a HTML5 version client...

For those interested here is a nice demo
    http://webglsamples.googlecode.com/h.../aquarium.html
    Last edited by TriMoon; 14-05-2012 at 14:30. Reason: Added a link to a WebGL demo

I worked on HnH client on Andoid/PC/HTML5 platforms, and got some nice results both in porting and FPS increasing, but Salem started and i have no free time / will to finish it.
    I prefer to completely rewrite loftar's code but it is (especially new 3D part) very hard to understand for me, so i will not start such a big project untill i will have some profit from it

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    MagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by APXEOLOG View Post
    I worked on HnH client on Andoid/PC/HTML5 platforms, and got some nice results both in porting and FPS increasing, but Salem started and i have no free time / will to finish it.
    I prefer to completely rewrite loftar's code but it is (especially new 3D part) very hard to understand for me, so i will not start such a big project untill i will have some profit from it
    Android! Now!
    "A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."

The King of Portugal and the Algarves in "Et cetera: The Justice League Fails Again"
    The King of Spain in "Primus Inter Pares III: The Spanish Betrayal"
    The Padishah of the Ottoman Empire in "Ab Igne Ignem Capere: The Destruction of France"
    The Original Sultan of Morocco in "Time of Reckoning: Of Diplomacy, Empire and Intrigue"