• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Gort11

Field Marshal
86 Badges
May 22, 2011
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Semper Fi
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
I usually go for Archmage (-20% casting time) because eventually you're gonna have more mana than you can practically use, and Trader (+20% gold) because I find gold to be a hell of a bottleneck. Then I blow my remaining points on low-level spells. I play human, by the way.

What do you guys do?

Archmage and the favor of a god. Lately I've been playing as Humans, starting with favor of Fervus and building my first temple to Lunord. I get a badass temple unit and access to both of their spells, which are each really good.

In my latest game I went with Archmage and the favor of Agrela. I'm finding Archmage to be an absolute must. Favor of Agrela is really nice, it gives you a powerful early healing spell. The real kicker though is the Blessing of Life city buff spell. That spell accelerates population growth, and thus empire strength. So far in my impossible difficulty game on a medium map I've wiped out my two neighbors with beefy minotaurs and I'm marching my way towards my last enemy.

How does one make the most of Archmage? Whenever I've tried it, it still seems to take a turn to cast some spells and two turns to cast others, without making two-turn spells one-turn or letting me cast more than one spell per round (except Lesser Heal).

BTW, I'd like to second favour of Fervus as a great perk. Those spells make a huge difference throughout the game.

I have the Powerful Lords DLC, and I've tried both of them in different games.

The Blade guy didn't impress me- being melee means he has to spend time resting in the early game when I want to be exploring. The Imp-Advisor is a virtually invincable scout early game, and can remain powerful till the late-mid game. Then he is eclipsed by Temple Units, Elder Vamps, and Mages.

The Favor of the Gods selections are really powerful. Agrela gives you access to the best city buffs in the game as well as a cheap heal. Her temple unit is pretty forgetable if you have been diligent about enhancing your units with other sources of healing.

Archmage isn't as impactful as I'd thought it would be. Early game, you are unlikely to have the mana to make use of it without luck or the mana vault selection. Late game, everyone will have agile mind and counterspell anyway, rendering the increase negligible.

The + gold option enables you to rush catapults as human in the beginning of the game. This enables no loss city conquering in the early game, allowing your other units to scout farther.

Just my experiences- always possible I could be missing things!

Archmage and the favor of a god.

This. Every single game.

How does one make the most of Archmage? Whenever I've tried it, it still seems to take a turn to cast some spells and two turns to cast others, without making two-turn spells one-turn or letting me cast more than one spell per round (except Lesser Heal).

Some spells have a base cast time of like 1.2 or .6 which means with archmage you can cast them in one turn or twice per turn. You can also use remaining cast time on your next turn by queuing a spell, say you use 75% of your cast bar, you can pick another spell that uses 75% and next turn it will use 25% of last turn's bar and 50% of the current turn's bar, leaving you another 50% left over, so that +20% speed is always useful. As long as nobody is in the mood to counterspell you that is.

The AI can use counter spell? I didn't know they could since they just let me get away with casting Unity in a 200 turn plus game. Which I figured they should definitely have counter spell an the mana to use it.

AI definitely can use counterspell, very obnoxious having my spells countered over and over.

Imp Advisor is nice but not nice enough to forego a favor of a god. The other one not so great, I actually think he should cost 4 instead of 5 (the imp is tough to value, 5 makes him too expensive cause you can't get favor, while 4 I think would be too cheap).

I have not found Archmage to be must-have, but then I tend to not stack mana so much.

Fervus is pretty much the best god. You get some great summons (Bear and Bearman), a +60 elemental resist buff, a +15 per turn regen buff (it combos on Bears and Bearmen for +30), a +100% mana buff for cities, and a 30 spirit damage spell, among others.

15 regen per turn! How much does he have to like you for that one? Also, do you know what causes the divine spells to pop in the research screen? Favor levels, sheer chance... 'Cause it is not just building their temple.

Edit: Err... scratch that last bit. It seems the game just takes a turn AFTER you complete the temple to update the spell research list. The following turn after I completed a temple and hit reputation 10, 4 spells appeared.

Last edited:
Yeah. If you can get a town near a Magic Field and set up a Magic Farm for +10 Mana per turn, then build up to a Magic Bazaar with Dark Ritual cast, you'll pull in 45 mana per turn, minus one for maintenance on Dark Ritual. That's from just one city, but it requires a little growth to get all the buildings. If you just get the Magic Field and Dark Ritual, you net 19 mana per turn, which is still a ton in the early game.

This also works with Mana Pumps, but they don't give you +10 Food on top of that. :)

Fervus is pretty much the best god. You get some great summons (Bear and Bearman), a +60 elemental resist buff, a +15 per turn regen buff (it combos on Bears and Bearmen for +30), a +100% mana buff for cities, and a 30 spirit damage spell, among others.

Ehhh, I dunno, I'd argue that Lunord is better, at least as your starting God. He has competitive buffs AND you can summon those Strong Rats right off the bat. At first I scoffed at the strong rats, thinking "Why would I ever fight a war with rats?!?" But then I managed to clear out an entire Alternate World with only 1 zombies, 1 skeleton sniper, and 1 elemental, and just spammed friggin' RATS all over the place, destroying all the monster spawns while my 3 main guys picked off the pre-existing ones. Oh, and thanks to that rat-rush strategy, I ended up looting TWO of those "Shade of Valde-something-or-other" dragons. Y'know, the two headed ones that look like a still living version of the dracoliches except stronger in almost every way. Which only sped up my ability to clear out the alternate world as fast as possible. By turn 90 I had the ability to make gold dragons (But not the economy to support one or afford it) and a CRAP ton of mana pumps, gold mines and gem mines.

Friggin' RATS man, I tell ya!

You can summon the rats with Fervus, as Grom-Gog isn't that opposed and rats only need 10 rep to summon. Bears work almost as good as rats for scouting with the added advantage of actually being able to survive an attack from most planar creatures.