• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(401570)

Corporal
6 Badges
Oct 28, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Dungeonland
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Pillars of Eternity
So, we all know that many "troop" buildings exist which unlock a troop but have like "-1 Gold" or something. Turning them off appears to have no impact on your ability to recruit... so why wouldn't I just turn them off and leave them off?

Am I missing some subtlety here, or is it just completely dumb?

It's a bug that you can still recruit with them disabled. So a reason for not doing it is a refusal to exploit and give yourself an even larger advantage over the AI.

*facepalm*

But even when this "bug" is fixed it will just mean that I am obligated to waste my time toggling them all of when I'm not recruiting. Either way it's meaningless busywork.

Honestly, -1 gold isn't going to make or break the game. I look at it this way - if you really want to play with absolutely the most optimized economy, then manually turn them on and off (when the bug is patched). Otherwise just leave them on and roll with it. :)

I'd sack the 'disable' feature and change it to dismantle. Would make much more sense, and allow you to rework cities as you expand. No point in keeping your unit training centers in the core of your empire. It would be nice to change a cities purpose as it becomes part of your more inner empire.

I'd sack the 'disable' feature and change it to dismantle. Would make much more sense, and allow you to rework cities as you expand. No point in keeping your unit training centers in the core of your empire. It would be nice to change a cities purpose as it becomes part of your more inner empire.

This, I find it incredibly bizarre that there is no way for me to redevelop lands I control.

I'd be ok with limiting it in some fashion or another but if I want to tear down that bat tower and build a market I should be able to.

*facepalm*

But even when this "bug" is fixed it will just mean that I am obligated to waste my time toggling them all of when I'm not recruiting. Either way it's meaningless busywork.

I think they should implement a bane for units missing their required structures (if applicable). So if you disable the building or you lose it, that unit gets hit with a -25% power bane or something. Likewise if you lose or disable special perk buildings they should become useless or vanish from your units altogether.

I think they should implement a bane for units missing their required structures (if applicable). So if you disable the building or you lose it, that unit gets hit with a -25% power bane or something. Likewise if you lose or disable special perk buildings they should become useless or vanish from your units altogether.

That would cause trouble for quest and looting reward units, though, which are frequently ones you can't build yourself. It's also rather unrealistic - "gasp, I suddenly feel weaker because the military academy I graduated from has been shut down", "o noes, my masterwork armour has fallen off because the blacksmith I bought it from on the other side of the continent went out of business".

That would cause trouble for quest and looting reward units, though, which are frequently ones you can't build yourself. It's also rather unrealistic - "gasp, I suddenly feel weaker because the military academy I graduated from has been shut down", "o noes, my masterwork armour has fallen off because the blacksmith I bought it from on the other side of the continent went out of business".

I'm not sure trouble is the right word, more like add some balance to freak early game luck. Sometimes you can get lucky and get like a good temple unit in the first 20 or so turns, which pretty much ensures early game domination. Weakening this unit until you build the appropriate temple would keep it in check a little. It wouldn't work for things like greater elementals though.

As I mentioned in another thread on the subject:

Also we are talking about soldiers, fighting in multiple wars, those silver weapons or nevril armors likely wont last very long without repairs or replacement and without the production building that can't happen right? So it makes perfect sense to me that they'd lose the perks. Likewise based on the amount of construction going on these wars take place over many years and your squads are probably getting fresh blood every once in a while, so it would make sense that buildings to train these recruits still exist somewhere in your empire otherwise they'd get inferior field training and the squad as a whole would take a penalty.

I wonder that too, sometimes. I think the idea is that if a building ends up causing too much strain on your economy (like if you suddenly go into starvation) then it's nice to just shut it down until you can support it again. Also, if a city is captured it usually loses at least one building, which shuts down everything which comes after it on the tech tree, which might be how disabled buildings first got into the game. Also also, Bat Forts for Undead can be attacked and destroyed seperately to a city's castle, which should (I haven't checked) disable everything in the same way.

I'm just guessing though. Giving players the option to turn buildings off seems to be causing more headaches than anything else.

Honestly I am not sure why the disable buildings feature is there at all.
Right now that "feature" sucks, is undocumented and the interface for it seems buggy (the changes to production don't always make sense, and often if you do an enable/disable cycle on a building you'll end up with different production than you had).

I guess they wanted to let us customize which tiles are worked or not just like in Civ, but I see it as pointless micromanagement (even if it wasn't buggy).

Also, if a city is captured it usually loses at least one building, which shuts down everything which comes after it on the tech tree, which might be how disabled buildings first got into the game.

I bet you are right about that. I frequently see disabled buildings when I capture a big city. I thought that happened to due to not enough population to support them; I hadn't considered a gap in the tech tree and that makes a lot of sense. Will have to look closer next time.

Interesting... Been playing the game non-stop since day 1 and just learned you could disable buildings.. looll... I'll need to look into that. There are definitely times where I wish I could do that instead of being in the uber negative after the AI captures a key city, etc.

I think they should keep the feature for pure economy buildings that don't provide buffs or units, but other buildings should be impossible to disable. I don't really mind that you can't demolish buildings, it makes you decide between early game dominance or a stronger economy.