• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Chronicler

Field Marshal
19 Badges
Sep 16, 2010
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
Was just thinking about this,

if non-members will be more inclined to remove provinces from the empire (TO always attacks Riga in my games and then crash their relations with emperor...so pretty sure they will be removing)

Wouldn't it also be logical if members of the HRE added their provs to the empire?

I mean for example Burgundy usually only adds it's northern provinces if it's emperor, I have never seen Aquileia add Istria etc.

From a historical standpoint this makes little sense. Having lands outside of the empire could oftentimes be a blessing for the members. Adding the provinces to the empire would make them de jure part of the jurisdiction of the emperor. For example take a look at the history of Prussia. Would brandenburg have immediately added its prussian lands to the empire it would have stayed the magraviate of Brandenburg, and who knows, maybe germany would have been eventually united under habsburg rule....

From a historical standpoint this makes little sense. Having lands outside of the empire could oftentimes be a blessing for the members. Adding the provinces to the empire would make them de jure part of the jurisdiction of the emperor. For example take a look at the history of Prussia. Would brandenburg have immediately added its prussian lands to the empire it would have stayed the magraviate of Brandenburg, and who knows, maybe germany would have been eventually united under habsburg rule....

But from a game standpoint it makes perfect sense, because member states not adding provinces kind of creates trouble >_>

At least for me =P

But from a game standpoint it makes perfect sense, because member states not adding provinces kind of creates trouble >_>

At least for me =P
How exactly would it make sense for countries to waste magistrates on a thing that has no real benefit and will only screw those countries who will later take those provinces without a core and get stabhits. Please expalin how it benefits you, I am genuinely curious.

How exactly would it make sense for countries to waste magistrates on a thing that has no real benefit and will only screw those countries who will later take those provinces without a core and get stabhits. Please expalin how it benefits you, I am genuinely curious.

If it gets taken by a non-HRE power, the Emperor can request that it gets returned to you. Of course, he may keep it for himself or the foreigner might not fork it over, but it is some slight insurance.

If it gets taken by a non-HRE power, the Emperor can request that it gets returned to you. Of course, he may keep it for himself or the foreigner might not fork it over, but it is some slight insurance.
And if the country does not give it over then it gets a stabhit. Also if AI Nations add provinces to the empire automatically it can lead to the very odd situation where no eligible nation has a core on the province and the emperor has no choice but to keep the unlawful province (as can happen with an annexed Aquilea for example)

I believe countries only add provinces to the HRE when they get Imperial power. In my current game, Burgundy gobbled most of France, but only added it to the Empire after being elected (and so we have a jolly good Empire stretching from Brittany to Poland and Cyprus).

Because it's so beneficial for an AI to remove provinces from the empire? >_>

You need a border with another empire province to add provinces to the empire. It's impossible for Cyprus to get added.

And if they conquered something on the mainland and then were added by the emperor? >_> (having a province on the mainland bordering a hre prov) >_>

And if they conquered something on the mainland and then were added by the emperor? >_> (having a province on the mainland bordering a hre prov) >_>
And how exactly would the Island of Cyprus (which was obviuosly what he was talking about) be added to the empire? Also Cyprus had to actually move its capital onto the mainland which is highly unlikely...

Chronicler reading your posts gets more painful for every one you make. Please reconsider what you are doing on this forum and try to think before you post something.

And how exactly would the Island of Cyprus (which was obviuosly what he was talking about) be added to the empire? Also Cyprus had to actually move its capital onto the mainland which is highly unlikely...

Are you sure of that? Because usually nations I see added are added all together completely and then all provinces get added, regardless of it's the capital bordering the HRE or not

Are you sure of that? Because usually nations I see added are added all together completely and then all provinces get added, regardless of it's the capital bordering the HRE or not
I am sure and you are wrong. If there was an exploit that allowed for the HRE to be transferred on Islands I am pretty sure somebody in the MP community would have allready exploited it and they didnt.

I am sure and you are wrong. If there was an exploit that allowed for the HRE to be transferred on Islands I am pretty sure somebody in the MP community would have allready exploited it and they didnt.

True, but human players can't add to the empire or be added to the empire as the AI can.

I am not saying I am right, I was generally just wondering.

Human players add provinces to the empire in the exact same way the AI does. What you may be describing is what occurs when the emperor of the HRE is expanding outside of the actual HRE area, the land will still be coloured as if though the provinces were part of the empire in the empire mapmode. For example Austria being holy roman emperor and conquering Hungary. While the provinces may not officially be part of the empire (if they haven't chosen/had time to add them yet) they are still coloured in as such in the mapmode.

If cyprus, in some strange way, was elected emperor, their provinces would all appear to be part of the empire even if they weren't all added. If you simply hover your cursor over the provinces it will clearly state whether they are fully part of the empire or not.

Human players add provinces to the empire in the exact same way the AI does. What you may be describing is what occurs when the emperor of the HRE is expanding outside of the actual HRE area, the land will still be coloured as if though the provinces were part of the empire in the empire mapmode. For example Austria being holy roman emperor and conquering Hungary. While the provinces may not officially be part of the empire (if they haven't chosen/had time to add them yet) they are still coloured in as such in the mapmode.

If cyprus, in some strange way, was elected emperor, their provinces would all appear to be part of the empire even if they weren't all added. If you simply hover your cursor over the provinces it will clearly state whether they are fully part of the empire or not.

It's not my game. This was what I meant, and I'm not sure whether it could happen or not.

Cyprus AI somehow grabs a mainland province that borders the HRE, then the AI emperor adds Cyprus to the empire (I have never seen a member being added without all it's provinces being added)

Aaand voila, Cyprus island is part of the empire?