• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Chubzdoomer

Private
15 Badges
May 13, 2012
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Lead and Gold
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Empire of Sin
I apologize if there is a better place for this or if it's been done a gazillion times before (I searched and didn't see many other threads), but I just finished writing my very own review of Warlock to both share my thoughts and try to get word out about the game. I wanted to share it with you guys and see what you thought about it. I tried to provide as much information about the game as possible without it being overly long, and I even included some screenshots from the official website to help flesh it out. There's not a final score because I'd rather you decide how much I liked the game based on the conclusion rather than having it all come down to a petty numerical value.

Click here to read the review.

Of course if you've written your own review of the game, feel free to share it here as well. I hope you guys enjoy, and thanks in advance for reading!

I apologize if there is a better place for this or if it's been done a gazillion times before (I searched and didn't see many other threads), but I just finished writing my very own review of Warlock to both share my thoughts and try to get word out about the game. I wanted to share it with you guys and see what you thought about it. I tried to provide as much information about the game as possible without it being overly long, and I even included some screenshots from the official website to help flesh it out. There's not a final score because I'd rather you decide how much I liked the game based on the conclusion rather than having it all come down to a petty numerical value.

Click here to read the review.

Of course if you've written your own review of the game, feel free to share it here as well. I hope you guys enjoy, and thanks in advance for reading!

It has a score of 54 next to it. Being a teacher, that would mean it was really bad, failing grade and barely over 1/2 the possible best value. I would give it more in lines of an 80-something myself.

I thought your review was excellent - I especially like the analogies to Master of Monsters, because I thought that wasn't obvious but made sense when you thought about it.

Thanks. Those comparisons were a bit of a stretch, as Warlock is clearly a 4x. However, I wanted to communicate the idea that this is a game with an almost single-minded focus on combat and war, and, as such, it sort of resembles a "blown-up" 4x version of some of those games.

That might be a view count, it has 55 for me

Yeah, it has something to do with the "score" of an article, something I still don't really understand. That's my one gripe about using HubPages is that the number could be mistaken as the score I gave the game. I actually pointed out in my original post that I didn't assign the game a final score of any kind, and that I prefer readers to judge how much I liked the game based on the conclusion and really the entire review.

Yeah, it has something to do with the "score" of an article, something I still don't really understand. That's my one gripe about using HubPages is that the number could be mistaken as the score I gave the game. I actually pointed out in my original post that I didn't assign the game a final score of any kind, and that I prefer readers to judge how much I liked the game based on the conclusion and really the entire review.

Always a good strategy.

It has a score of 54 next to it. Being a teacher, that would mean it was really bad, failing grade and barely over 1/2 the possible best value. I would give it more in lines of an 80-something myself.

Don't know what you teach, but I would bet it's not math. 50 out of 100 is an average game - not outstanding, but not broken, mildly interesting. Bad games would begin around 30 for me, while a game scored 80 would have to be really, really, good, with some minor glitches. I haven't played Warlock myself yet, but according to what I have read and saw in the gameplay videos, 54 maybe just fair - a tiny bit above average. I don't know why reviewers give 70 points to average games, must be something to do with whose money pay their bills. However, after reading the review, it just sings praise, one would think it's about 90ish game.

In the US school system, scores are usually 0-100, where 0-59 is a failing grade(F), 60-69 is poor(D), 70-79 is average(C), 80-89 is good(B), and 90-100 is excellent(A, sometimes A+ for grades at 95 or higher). This is probably what Sunjah is referring too, rather than averages on a 0-100 scale in general.

That might be where some reviewers get it, now that I think of it. 50 might be "meh", but meh is "bad" as far as gaming goes, because it's boring(and in a medium focused on entertaining, boredom is pretty damning). Below 50 would be the realm of "horrendously bad", where bugs or flaws made the game a negative experience rather than a merely neutral one. 70 is probably "average", in the sense that games worth playing get it, because 70 indicates the game got the basics right, but didn't excel in any way. It was fun, but not memorable, in other words.

Don't know what you teach, but I would bet it's not math. 50 out of 100 is an average game - not outstanding, but not broken, mildly interesting. Bad games would begin around 30 for me, while a game scored 80 would have to be really, really, good, with some minor glitches. I haven't played Warlock myself yet, but according to what I have read and saw in the gameplay videos, 54 maybe just fair - a tiny bit above average. I don't know why reviewers give 70 points to average games, must be something to do with whose money pay their bills. However, after reading the review, it just sings praise, one would think it's about 90ish game.

less than 50 is a fail in australia.... albiet we have different ranges of fail