+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My Review

Warlock: Master of the Arcane

Thumbs up My Review

I apologize if there is a better place for this or if it's been done a gazillion times before (I searched and didn't see many other threads), but I just finished writing my very own review of Warlock to both share my thoughts and try to get word out about the game. I wanted to share it with you guys and see what you thought about it. I tried to provide as much information about the game as possible without it being overly long, and I even included some screenshots from the official website to help flesh it out. There's not a final score because I'd rather you decide how much I liked the game based on the conclusion rather than having it all come down to a petty numerical value.

Click here to read the review.

Of course if you've written your own review of the game, feel free to share it here as well. I hope you guys enjoy, and thanks in advance for reading!

Quote Originally Posted by Chubzdoomer View Post
    I apologize if there is a better place for this or if it's been done a gazillion times before (I searched and didn't see many other threads), but I just finished writing my very own review of Warlock to both share my thoughts and try to get word out about the game. I wanted to share it with you guys and see what you thought about it. I tried to provide as much information about the game as possible without it being overly long, and I even included some screenshots from the official website to help flesh it out. There's not a final score because I'd rather you decide how much I liked the game based on the conclusion rather than having it all come down to a petty numerical value.

Click here to read the review.

Of course if you've written your own review of the game, feel free to share it here as well. I hope you guys enjoy, and thanks in advance for reading!
    It has a score of 54 next to it. Being a teacher, that would mean it was really bad, failing grade and barely over 1/2 the possible best value. I would give it more in lines of an 80-something myself.

Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Sunjah_Kahn View Post
    It has a score of 54 next to it. Being a teacher, that would mean it was really bad, failing grade and barely over 1/2 the possible best value. I would give it more in lines of an 80-something myself.
    That might be a view count, it has 55 for me
    Ignored: Nuril, videonfan, Pandi

Quote Originally Posted by s1234567890m View Post
    Ahh, that would explain it.

200k clubAchtung PanzerCrusader Kings IIDeus VultElven Legacy Collection
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    Heir to the ThroneLead and GoldMagickaMajesty 2Victoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 Gold
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Pride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by Phystarstk View Post
    I thought your review was excellent - I especially like the analogies to Master of Monsters, because I thought that wasn't obvious but made sense when you thought about it.

EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Pride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by sffrrrom View Post
    I thought your review was excellent - I especially like the analogies to Master of Monsters, because I thought that wasn't obvious but made sense when you thought about it.
    Thanks. Those comparisons were a bit of a stretch, as Warlock is clearly a 4x. However, I wanted to communicate the idea that this is a game with an almost single-minded focus on combat and war, and, as such, it sort of resembles a "blown-up" 4x version of some of those games.

Warlock: Master of the Arcane

Quote Originally Posted by s1234567890m View Post
    Yeah, it has something to do with the "score" of an article, something I still don't really understand. That's my one gripe about using HubPages is that the number could be mistaken as the score I gave the game. I actually pointed out in my original post that I didn't assign the game a final score of any kind, and that I prefer readers to judge how much I liked the game based on the conclusion and really the entire review.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubzdoomer View Post
    Yeah, it has something to do with the "score" of an article, something I still don't really understand. That's my one gripe about using HubPages is that the number could be mistaken as the score I gave the game. I actually pointed out in my original post that I didn't assign the game a final score of any kind, and that I prefer readers to judge how much I liked the game based on the conclusion and really the entire review.
    Always a good strategy.

Archnihilist
    HoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Sunjah_Kahn View Post
    Don't know what you teach, but I would bet it's not math. 50 out of 100 is an average game - not outstanding, but not broken, mildly interesting. Bad games would begin around 30 for me, while a game scored 80 would have to be really, really, good, with some minor glitches. I haven't played Warlock myself yet, but according to what I have read and saw in the gameplay videos, 54 maybe just fair - a tiny bit above average. I don't know why reviewers give 70 points to average games, must be something to do with whose money pay their bills. However, after reading the review, it just sings praise, one would think it's about 90ish game.

In the US school system, scores are usually 0-100, where 0-59 is a failing grade(F), 60-69 is poor(D), 70-79 is average(C), 80-89 is good(B), and 90-100 is excellent(A, sometimes A+ for grades at 95 or higher). This is probably what Sunjah is referring too, rather than averages on a 0-100 scale in general.

That might be where some reviewers get it, now that I think of it. 50 might be "meh", but meh is "bad" as far as gaming goes, because it's boring(and in a medium focused on entertaining, boredom is pretty damning). Below 50 would be the realm of "horrendously bad", where bugs or flaws made the game a negative experience rather than a merely neutral one. 70 is probably "average", in the sense that games worth playing get it, because 70 indicates the game got the basics right, but didn't excel in any way. It was fun, but not memorable, in other words.

It is already under $1.00 per hour played for me. That indicates at least an 86 on my scale.

Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Kamamura View Post
    Don't know what you teach, but I would bet it's not math. 50 out of 100 is an average game - not outstanding, but not broken, mildly interesting. Bad games would begin around 30 for me, while a game scored 80 would have to be really, really, good, with some minor glitches. I haven't played Warlock myself yet, but according to what I have read and saw in the gameplay videos, 54 maybe just fair - a tiny bit above average. I don't know why reviewers give 70 points to average games, must be something to do with whose money pay their bills. However, after reading the review, it just sings praise, one would think it's about 90ish game.
    less than 50 is a fail in australia.... albiet we have different ranges of fail
    Ignored: Nuril, videonfan, Pandi

+ Reply to Thread