• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(488028)

Corporal
1 Badges
May 8, 2012
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
If any one is on the fence about buying this game or you just like to watch other people play then you can check out my video series on youtube. I am not a partner and I don't monetize my videos either. I just started doing let's plays as a hobby. Feel free to leave any comments or suggestions. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBXVmY45Ciw

No, I am playing on normal. I played the demo for about 30 minutes a couple of weeks ago. Other than that I am going into it blind. I have 7 episodes up already. It took me a while to get the hang of it so early on you see me getting owned. I won't spoil it for anyone but let's just say you get to see me rage a little around episode 5 or 6. I made some stupid decisions early and I had an up hill battle for quite a while.

I am actually playing two games right now. I am playing the LP and I am playing a game I am not recording. I am playing the non-recorded game on a large map. Man that map is huge. The more I play this game the more I like it. I got a mage with haste, far sight, levitation and all the other buffs and resistances I can give him. He is a floating, fast-moving cannon. You don't get cool units like that in most strategy games. :) I am in love with the minotaurs too. I only have two but I have them buffed with everything I can give them. They are good at tanking and one-shotting enemy units. I support them with 3 or 4 buffed out hunters. I can't make rangers yet.

This is the most fun I've had on a turn-based strategy game in a long time.

If the other level up options don't fit for the unit, it is better than nothing. But the later level XP costs are so high (Lvl 9 at 500 XP, anyone) that even long term units don't see much of a gain. I have an Imp Advisor that has seen heavy constant combat at level 9. No Perceptive perk. It is turn 151. All the perks he has were useful for his role (kill everything). Perceptive would have replaced one of those useful perks and not given me another at this point in the game.

I can imagine an argument for the perk for guard duty units where the other options were "Pathfinder" and "Recon," but otherwise no.

OH ok. I can see where it would be useful to take it for units that defend cities and never do anything. Other than that what you said makes total sense. I took the perk at game creation that gives all units 1 xp per turn too. Was that a waste? I figure if I have 25 units and each is getting 1 extra xp then that is like getting an extra 25 xp per turn. I was kind of thinking that getting the mana or gold boost would be nice but I can increase production to get the same effect. I figured the extra xp would be more valuable in the long haul. What do you think?

On the Warlock wiki there is a partial list of the XP costs to level. It basically goes 20/30/50/70/100/150/200/300/500. The counter resets to zero after each level. I think the Instructor trait will only shine if the player is going for a horde/zerg style: lots of units that are ultimately expendable. The trait will let them get some quick power ups faster than otherwise.

And I think the first powerups can be pretty impactful. +20% to a warriors attack or +30 for the creature melee class? Not bad.

On the Warlock wiki there is a partial list of the XP costs to level. It basically goes 20/30/50/70/100/150/200/300/500. The counter resets to zero after each level. I think the Instructor trait will only shine if the player is going for a horde/zerg style: lots of units that are ultimately expendable. The trait will let them get some quick power ups faster than otherwise.

And I think the first powerups can be pretty impactful. +20% to a warriors attack or +30 for the creature melee class? Not bad.

I love the upgrade system. It gives this game a ton of depth and replayability. It's still early in my let's play but I want to create some "special forces". I want to give them levitate and haste and buff them all. I'll use them for taking hard to reach places and for establishing beach heads. Once I am well established in an area then I will send in swarms of lower level troops.

Do you have any good strategies you like to use?

I've only played two games to completion thus far, both as human. I had a large number of gold spec cities, which enabled me to buy all the perks in the game for most of my units. I never used offensive mage spells- always went for the longer payoff of city or unit buffs. I prioritized the ability upgrade buildings. Once I had a decent smattering, nothing died ever.

It was a research game, but my takeaway was: Acquire perk buildings, spam gold cities, make invincible units. Then faff around exploring while ignoring the AI. Not really a strategy, per se. :unsure: My current game is on challenging- so I'll see what I have to do different. I did decide that green bats are an excellent scouting unit for humans once you get an undead city. They cost 20 gold and fly!

Well, using spells in this game is all about the opportunity cost because of the limited number you can cast. What are you giving up by casting the summon? The summoning thread had a lot of peoples thoughts on the usefullness of summons. Personally, I'd rather buff my combat units, then my cities, and only then create a disposable scout. Thier upkeep and potential is limited compared to greenbats/bloodshadows. <shrug> Buffing non-specialized cities may be a waste on my part though- especially on big maps where you will have a lot of them.

They are pretty handy for claiming resouce piles you otherwise would lose, however.

You make some good points. I had one serpent in one game and i was buffing him too. gave him better sight range, haste, melee and range resist. he ended up getting ambushed by 3 or 4 common archers. died in 1 turn. i had 4 or 5 spells cast on him including the summon spell itself. made me a little heart sick. he was awesome for seeing into enemy territory when you are launching an assault.

Even though he died it may still have been worth it. I could see all of the enemy units and i managed to firestorm them and take out a huge chunk of his army with the intel.