• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What you may be thinking of is victory by alliance. We don't have that, but it's supposed to be coming--around August, according to a post by Alexey.

Never managed to stay friends with any AIs even if I was on the same side of the divine path as them and at war with their enemies. They all come and ask for tons of gold, and there are only two options, cough it up or war. The diplomacy in this game is really lacking. Is MOOII shareware yet? Take the diplomacy from that game or something.

Never managed to stay friends with any AIs even if I was on the same side of the divine path as them and at war with their enemies. They all come and ask for tons of gold, and there are only two options, cough it up or war. The diplomacy in this game is really lacking. Is MOOII shareware yet? Take the diplomacy from that game or something.

Yes, it is, and no, it wouldn't help. For one thing, MOO II's diplomatic AI was pretty bad. For another, AI is simply another term for a very elaborate rules set that needs to deal with a host of conditionals. The conditionals in MOO II and those in Warlock are completely different. What's needed is just a lot of time put in to defining under what situations A will trigger B, when C isn't around, and D hasn't been cast, while E isn't present but F is, etc, etc. Yes, it really does get that elaborate, and more.

My favorite diplomacy was in Civ 4. I loved that it would tell you all the reasons that some one hated or liked you. I can't believe they took that out in Civ 5. Most games it seems like the AI just arbitrarily decides to attack you because the game gives you no feedback. Knowing why some one likes or hates you makes the game a lot more interesting.

The diplomacy screen will show you your standing with AI's, including what they like and dislike about you. For example, if you appear to be doing the best at the moment, the AI's will have a -15 "Envy of The Leader" under their portraits.

GrumpyGamerLP said:
My favorite diplomacy was in Civ 4.

For me it's really annoying. The AI leaders bugging me constantly about declaring war to someone, canceling deals with someone, giving them tribute, changing civics and changing religion (and getting large negative modifiers to relations for refusing these proposals) is not a good idea IMO. There is less of such things in Civ5 (and you can see the relation modifiers, but without point values, I think it was added in a patch), but still the diplomacy in Civ5 feels somewhat lacking. And in Warlock it looks very simplistic. The only games I know with good diplomacy are the ones made by Paradox - Europa Universalis series and the like.

I liked diplomacy in Age of Wonders. You could have alliances and peace, but you could also trade spells, structures, and try to incite your allies to go to war with others. I think a similar model would work here, save trading structures (which wouldn't work). But I'd love to bribe an ally to attack an emeny of mine or to at least abolish his peaceful pact.... then quietly fund his war. It was fun.

I liked diplomacy in Age of Wonders. You could have alliances and peace, but you could also trade spells, structures, and try to incite your allies to go to war with others. I think a similar model would work here, save trading structures (which wouldn't work). But I'd love to bribe an ally to attack an emeny of mine or to at least abolish his peaceful pact.... then quietly fund his war. It was fun.

It seems I forgot about my favorite game in my comparison :) The diplomatic options in AoW2/SM are good (although I think it should be possible to disable spell trading), but the AI isn't very good at using them.

What you like--and I did, too--were the possibilities in AoW diplomacy. The AI itself was awful. If you want to see how all that AI works well, try Stardock's GalCiv II. I'm not suggesting the game is everybody's cup of tea, but the diplomatic possibilities are first rate, and the AI works well, too.

I don't think we'll ever see that kind of depth from Warlock, sadly.