• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Perhaps when the army was small pre-1914 it was possible to see it in a more individualistic way, whereas with the mass armies post-1914 it was harder to do so.

I don't think that is the reason, or only reason. I think its the change in warefare that made the difference for WWI. In a more or less static trench warefare its hard to find public heroes. I don't have numbers, but I would guess that most of the soldiers that got VC's in WWI were normal heroic soldiers, with the tiny problem that their acts of heroism did not fit the need that the country had to inspire them.

So generally, I have this idea: fighters pilots are heroic because the values and ideologies of society at the time were conveniently able to mold themselves to accommodate the military aviator. Pre-existing values and ideas, such as that of the public school ethos, sport, chivalry, jingoism, militarism etc as shown in popular, patriotic and juvenile literature, were placed onto what the aviator did. Because of this a generic heroic view of the airman arouse quickly, helped by the press, politicians and some aviators themselves. However if we take the hero to be someone who performs an act of bravery, valour, courage, devotion to duty etc, the fighter pilot cannot be a hero in this general sense. The fighter pilot fights in the air as the foot-soldier at the front does: consistently. HOWEVER...it is the nature of the combat itself that separate this similarity and places it as exemplary. The aesthetics, along with cultural, literary and social perceptions of aerial warfare made it heroic and by proxy made pilots heroic. 1v1 combat, duels etc were exciting literary conventions into which the pilot was placed. There were, of course, single acts that, if we took my idea that heroism requires a single act, were heroic - like Robinson shooting down the SL11 or Bishop's attack on the german aerodrome, or Voss' ill-fated yet determined fight against 9 or so enemy pilots.

I am not so sure about the public school ethos, remember most countries made their aviators into heros which means that unless the public school ethos excisted in all these countries it would not necesserly be a part of the package. Other than that I think you are on the right track. Comparing WWI and WW2 could be worthwhile too if you can fit it into your thesis (and I would very much like to read it :D ), there must be a reason for Britain to break with the practise from WWI while Germany continued with the old practise (and expanded it).

So I guess that, if I am correct, that heroism does not necessary need a heroic act as such, but for the pre-existing structures and cultural/literary backgrounds to exist that can mold a heroic image onto a person, or people given a particular situation, in this case war

If the goverment/media think we need heroes we will get them, even in the cases where no heroics have been displayed. Think Jessics Lynch.

Do we have any examples of a fighter pilot attacking from a clearly disadvantaged position and succeeding?
Yes, plenty.

London Gazette, 26 September 1916, announcing the award of the DSO to Albert Ball:

For conspicuous gallantry and skill. Observing seven enemy machines in formation, he immediately attacked one of them and shot it down at 15 yards range. The remaining machines retired. Immediately afterwards, seeing five more hostile machines, he attacked one at about 10 yards range and shot it down, flames coming out of the fuselage. He then attacked another of the machines, which had been firing at him, and shot it down into a village, where it landed on top of a house. He then went to the nearest aerodrome for more ammunition and, returning, attacked three more machines, causing them to dive out of control. Being then short of petrol he came home. His own machine was badly shot about in these fights.

Ball was outnumbered seven to one, the enemy aircraft were in formation, his own aircraft became damaged, and yet he successfully attacked them and drove them from the sky, shooting down one. Then he did the same again twice the same day. Willingly facing those odds definitely shows courage, or perhaps insanity and/or a deathwish. ;)

Pilot skill and courage seemed to count for a lot more in the First World War than the technical capabilities of their aircraft, except in cases when one machine was totally outclassed (like in late 1915 when only the Germans had yet invented synchronised machine guns). The two factors that seem to get mentioned again and again are situational awareness and marksmanship.

Situational awareness - two aircraft encounter each other on patrol. The pilot of one doesn't even realise the other is there, and flies on obliviously while the enemy manoeuvres around to get on his tail. Countless reports on their air victories by WW1 aces contain a variant of "The enemy didn't seem to notice me until I opened fire".

Marksmanship - a lot of the famous aces were crack shots, like Guynemer and Richthofen. Deflection shooting in particular was something that a lot of pilots struggled with, and the few that could master it became aces.

What this means is that in WW1, just 5% of the pilots accounted for over 40% of the aircraft shot down.

Just a few more thoughts:

There is no doubt that the skill needed to be a successful scout/fighter pilot in the Great War was considerable, and that most 'aces' were very skilled and indeed brave. However bravery and skill do not necessarily make one a hero. It is hard to define a hero, but Geoffrey Cubbitt described them as an individual who in their own lifetime or afterwards is endowed with great emotive value.

When you try to properly define what makes a hero it becomes incredibly subjective and therefore tricky. I would suggest that there is no such thing as an objective hero in that regard. However if we take 'hero' to mean a person as Cubbitt described, we can get the ball rolling. It is easy to see why the ww1 pilot would be perceived as heroic - the aviator is already a heroic figure before the war itself. The heroic mould is transferred from peace to war.

However what is often alluded to as the basis of their heroism is the downing of planes. When looking at the citations for the awards to fighter pilots, specific phrases and words are mentioned time and again: 'conspicuous and consistent bravery' - this is interesting due to the concept of consistent bravery as a means to award such a medal. Other phrases/words are: 'exceptional courage, determination and skill'; 'conspicuous skill and gallantry'.

Considering many of the awards are for single acts it is odd that DSOs and VCs are awarded to pilot for actions taken over periods as long as a week. Granted that some ground VCs like Chavasse's 1st VC was for a period over a day/2 days, but this is taken as part of the same engagement. The air combats of say Ball, Mannock, McCudden are separated and apart from each other. It would appear that the goal posts in this case are significantly shifted/altered to accommodate an important arm of the British forces, however the most important arm of the RFC, its recon flyers, are not as well represented in terms of VCs, DSOs or other awards in history, media and popular memory as say the fighter pilot is. Most of the VCs given out to RFC/RNAS men are for fighter pilots, some like say Rhodes-Moorhouse and Liddell are more or less forgotten - they died as a result of their recon/bombing attacks early in the war - no enemies to battle in the clouds with. Ball, McCudden, Hawker, Mannock etc are more well known and depict a popular view of the RFC, when in fact the majority of pilots never shot a plane down because they were flying bombing, ground-attack or recon mission over enemy lines. If fighting other planes makes one heroic in this sense, then there are several questions that need to be asked...

Is it heroic to shoot down a plane?
Re: the above question - If not in general, then is it purely based on the circumstance?
Is it heroic to have shot down e.g. 80 aircraft over a career?
Is it more heroic to shoot down a large number of planes in one sitting?
Is flying recon/bombing missions over enemy lines heroic?
If the above is heroic, then why are they not considered heroic in wider popular literature and memory?

I am almost edging to the notion that fighter pilots are not necessarily heroic in a sense - they are brave, skillfull, dutiful yes, but if we take heroism to be a single act, they cannont be heroic as their acts take place over a wide and separate period of time. If individuals can be consistently heroic over a period of time, then this raises some problems and serious issues - are the soldiers at the front heroes by this idea then? They are at the front for sustained periods of time and are subjected to artillery, gas, attacks, counter-attacks, raids, the elements etc. If awarding a pilot for downing 11 planes over the course of a week is worthy of a VC, then why is not a week of frontline action?

The only possible answer I can see to the last question made above is this: aviators had success as easily quantified, by the number of downed planes. Through the sporting ethos that was prevalent throughout the air services the 'score' was a means of measuring success but added to that are connotations of sportsmanship and chivalry as a way to compensate for the personalized killing - it is 1v1 afterall. An infantryman has no such measurement of success other than ground gained, but then the infantryman is as part of a large mass of men, not an individual as characterized in popular thought like the airman. The airman, specifically the fighter-pilot, is heroic to the public not necessarily because of the acts they do but because of the very nature of their job - flying. Flying is perceived as heroic even before man has flown.

Aviators are the harbingers of new technology, a new golden age, or perhaps mankind's destruction. When the act of flying is seen as heroic in itself, then when war is thrown into the mix, with the already jingoistic, imperialistic and militaristic juvenile and popular literature of the time the mix is deadly and creates a prefabricated image of a heroic military aviator! As such the airman is heroic before he even sets out to war and this image is manipulated and moulded to fit the realities of aerial warfare in the Great War.

This is not to say that fighter pilots are not brave, skilled, determined - they are all these things. But if we take pre-1914 models of military heroism, they don't quite fit to the notion of a single act which tends to be associated with heroism. The media, society, military etc accommodate the fighter pilot and change the specifics of heroism to fit them in as such.