• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Hister

General
95 Badges
Jan 2, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Victoria 2
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition

Quick overview of some of the new v0.60 mod features via a short Japanese campaign (Part 1)

Note to readers:
- I use customised GFX graphics (Tripartite pack mod, Bestmajors mod, etc.)! :cool:
- Since I got in my hands an early 0.60 beta version mod's graphics haven't been fully updated to represent what one is supposed to see! Graphical updates will be done by Hagar in upcoming internal versions and will be showcased separately.
- Air and naval unit stats haven't been the ones used in the latest version so don't mind them!

OK, let me start this short Japanese campaign by showing you what awaits you when you start up your game.

Imperial Japan, 1st January 1936.

Let's take a peek at a starting diplomatic situation.

Japanese Home islands, Taiwan, Korea, Rehe region in N. China and many Pacific Islands belong to our core imperial domain which has a Paternal Autocracy as a form of government. In terms of political stability Rehe region is the most unstable one due to native revolt and many tensions (skirmishes) between our and Chinese Warlord's army. Tensions are high also on the border with Soviet Union so we need to make sure we don't awake the red bear especially because we got reports from our units that Soviet military capacities are not negligible in the area. There is some turmoil on the Home Japanese islands but if the problems arise unity will be maintained by our Security garrisons spread throughout our domains.*

*Note: all starting Security forces are locked up together with majority of forces guarding the border with Soviet Union - the latter are unlocked if war with SU starts).

We have Manchukuo for a puppet and we already started being in contact with emergent Mongol Military Government (MMG) which has desires to separate from Shanxi and needs our support in order for their separation to be realizable. MMG might prove useful to our cause later on, we shall see.

Manchukuo is used for straightforward resource exploitation which is reflected in valuable supply and money shipments from them to our main island which boosts our economy quite considerably. On top of that we have a military control over them which makes our future war with the Chinese more sustainable due to land units this state is able to provide.

Starting OOB needs reorganisation

Most of your army is stationed on the Japanese mainland so you need to reorganise, ferry and rebase your military forces to more useful OOB's and locations for the upcoming Sino-Japanese war. You have more options here and it depends how you want your game to play out. Land troops can be either ferried to Rehe region in Northern China for the assault on Shanxi and/or to Taiwan if you are to make a southern amphibious assault on Gungxi Clique and on main Chinese land (a bit later on that is).
Air assets should be rebased to airfields from where their current range can be properly utilized. I've put mine to Changde - Dalian (N. China), Taiwan and Okinawa.

Main use of the Manchukuo-ian army in this campaign will be to guard the Rehe border with Shanxi since I decided to transport all of my land troops to Taiwan for the early war with Gungxi Clique (I went a bit ahistorical in order to secure a better starting point for my attack on Nationalistic China). Head on assaults with them will be done only in dire situations so they are primarily intended for defensive and auxiliary tasks. I provided Manchukuo government with some of the technological blueprints which will make their land army more potent.

You should also reorganise your starting naval forces from the get-go so that they are ready and more effective for the upcoming conflicts. Historical OOB does not completely suite players needs so I went with 1 Carrier Task Force (CTF) lead by Yamamoto (seen on the pic below), 3 main Surface Action Groups (SAG) together with 2 smaller SAG's, some independent destroyer groups (older and/or shorter range vessels) and many submarine wolf packs consisting of subs with similar range to make the most out of naval range and speed aspect. Leaders with proper traits and skills were assigned accordingly.

We are notified about our excellent Naval doctrine and all the ships that are already being produced and require a big chunk of our national resources. I decide to continue with the building programme.

As already explained in the 0.60 dev diary smaller ships/screens are not represented on a 1:1 basis any more. Pay attention to below pic where you can note that for example destroyer unit (DD 7) has 3 dashes on the lower right part of the icon while another destroyer unit (DD 6) has 4 dashes. Each dash represents one ship. Capital ships have only one dash that visually differs according to the ship's size and length. Transport ships unit icon shows that there are 20 actual ferries in one singly unit - now that makes for an easier understandability of what those transport ships really are like! There are more naval brigades also which were sorely missing in previous versions of the mod.*

*Note: Naval brigades icons aren't updated, in finalised version there will be more icon variety. (Teggethoff, is this correct ?)

Internal political situation on the Home islands

As already mentioned there are no widespread internal tensions on the Home islands at the start but situation isn't pretty nevertheless. The Kodoha organisation is stirring unrest and we have to be especially cautious when dealing with their spreading power and influence. We will hopefully overcome any difficulties on the home front with smart leadership decisions.

Our economy and people in general are already somewhat mobilised for a war due to government policies and constant conflict we have with the Chinese ever since we puppeted Manchukuo. Together with rearmament initiative we can utilise our war efforts more effectively.

I decide to maintained all starting ministers and not swap anyone for the time being.

First move I do is I drift away one notch from drafted army and into standing army which gives me lower upgrade time and cost, better unit organisation (much needed in China where enemy numbers are far greater then yours) on the expense of gearing bonus and military expense.

Those of you that are not familiar with the particularities of this mod might appreciate implemented Development Level which represents general technological and industrial state of each nation in the game. It's one of those aspects of this mod I love the most because it makes for a much more plausible game where vanilla sandbox aspect is much limited. Below you can see what modifiers Japan starts with.

This is it for the intro - next up: Japanese starting tech tree overview and what I decided to research. Stay tuned :happy:

Last edited:
Very glad to see this up, congratulations! I'll follow this closely, as CORE is getting me more and more interested by the day.

Excellent choice about the graphics, also ;) (but no custom-Japanese mouse pointer...? :( )

Thank you Titan - I apply your graphical mod everywhere! :wub: As for your custom Japanese mouse pointer I find it not suitable for a WW2 game - instead I use your other one which rocks!

He he, thank you, and thanks for using it :) .

As for the pointer: I get your point (pun not intended :D ). However, let me show you this variant - tell me if you like it better than the current one (I'll have to add it to the Tripartite Pack, by the way):

No-Dachi cursor

Edit:

I've forgot to write in the previous post that Bestmajor's background for diplomacy/espionage etc. screens looks really nice!

Looking good, and very instructive. Hats off to the modders as well, the new naval implementation is great, I love the added detail of knowing how many vessels and air squadrons are being represented.

Congratulations Hister, on that one! We need someone to demonstrate what our mod is going to look like when finished.

You certainly earned yourself a copy of 0.60.11.

From the dev point of view:

Ship brigades are finished and there won´t be more. But you see that a battleship has four attachments, which lets us customise the existing ships pretty well.
I think you also get a good idea of the new "shilouette" type unit icons, which are nation-specific for the majors. I have 207 icon .bmps sitting in my master directory, so hats off to Dec152000 who did them all - and probably will do a couple more.
The dashes showing individual ship numbers are quite illustrative, basically the early, small models may have five or more ships to a flottilla and the late ones only three.

Well thank you guys, glad you like it.

@Tegetthoff, I certainly didn't do this in order to obtain the latest internal version - the one who you all have to thank is Titan and his persistent "nagging" ;) I also wanted to return a favour to devs for the obtained internal version and their overall persistence and quality approach to modding.

If 0.60.11 will take a rather long time to be put up maybe you can send me just the updated naval and air stats together with customised Japanese unit icon silhouettes? I probably won't have time today to put something new up because I have certain other obligations so if latest version is put up later today then no worries - but if it's later then that then it might be "plausible" since I might update my little report in Sunday.

But you see that a battleship has four attachments
There are actually just 3 visible on the pic.

I think you also get a good idea of the new "shilouette" type unit icons...
It has to be said what you see on the pic are not the new custom unit icons - they will be showcased when I get them in my hands.

Well, if you look at Hyuga, you will see that it has the typical pagoda mast of that class ...

oh, is that an AAR?
looks nice, btw - glad that the single subs are finally gone.

Hister said:
Those of you that are not familiar with the particularities of this mod might appreciate implemented Development Level which represents general technological and industrial state of each nation in the game. It's one of those aspects of this mod I love the most because it makes for a much more plausible game where vanilla sandbox aspect is much limited. Below you can see what modifiers Japan starts with.
means if you're in another (higher) level of devlopment you get less goodies or more? and are there other new NI's in CORE? (i use one for the puppet states).

EDIT: what about new foundland, india and all that - is this still in?

New Foundland is still in because we have not had time to delete it.

There are no plans to delete India.

oh, is that an AAR?
Well yes, sort of. Don't know how far I'll come, it is primarily meant to be showcasing CORE mod features now that main gripes people had with this mod are gone for the upcoming 0.60.

means if you're in another (higher) level of devlopment you get less goodies or more?

These are the levels countries can start in:

Subsistence Economy,
Agriculturally-based Economy,
Pre-Industrial Economy,
Semi-Industrialized Economy and
Fully Industrialized Economy.

A Fully Industrialized Economy is a country that has a large degree of industrialization compared to it's agriculture. They are given unrestricted access to the Industry tech tree and represent most of the major nations (such as Germany,the UK and the US) and several minors as well (for example Czechoslovakia and the Netherlands).

A Semi-Industrialized Economy is a country that has a large industrial base, but one that is perhaps not spread very well throughout the country or consisting mostly of old equipment. They are slightly limited to the access of the Industry tech tree and often need more advanced techs to open up research into Electronics and Radar. This group consists of several majors (Soviet Union, Italy and Japan) and a host of minors (such as Poland and Spain).

A Pre-Industrial Economy is an agrarian society that has begun industrializing; they use machines for some agricultural development and they have some factories – often devoted to refining their raw materials and little or no heavy industry. They only have slightly more (or earlier) access to the Industry tech tree than an
Agricultural nation and can access certain other advanced trees to some extent. Electronics, and related techs, are all but beyond the reach of a Pre-Industrial
Economy. This group consists of countries such as Greece, Mexico and Argentina.

An Agriculturally-based Economy is the bulk of the world that has only very limited industrial spread or even none at all. They are blocked from much of the tech tree (in particular most Heavy Industry and all Electronics and related techs) to reflect their limited capabilities. The group consists of many countries – from Brazil and Panama to China.

A Subsistence Economy, finally, includes those nations that can barely support their population, even through agriculture. As a result of this they are incapable of
any actual expansion – a sort of industrial Catch-22. In other words, the only technology they can research from the Industrial tech tree is Turn of the Century
Agricultural Techniques. A typical Subsistence nation is somewhere like Ethiopia or Siam.

It is important to note, if you play a nation with an Agriculturally based or Subsistence Economy (including China), that you will never be able to access any kind
of Electronics (and related techs) and therefore, no Secret Weapon techs. Within the timeframe such advances are just too complicated for an Agricultural or Subsistence country to master - even one as large as China. It is not possible for a nation to advance in Industrial tech level within the time period of the game.

As for new national ideas I'm not sure - Teg have you implemented new ones or just changed their effects?

Is there a real need to delete Newfoundland? It adds flavour without really having any impact on the gameplay.
i liked those additional states as well, its just they have little to no content - and if there is content its wrong or doubles from other nations.

Hister said:
These are the levels countries can start in:

Subsistence Economy,
Agriculturally-based Economy,
Pre-Industrial Economy,
Semi-Industrialized Economy and
Fully Industrialized Economy.
ok, thx. and good luck with your AAR

Thank you.

btw i lurked a bit at "Mister Histers" account at imageshack (lol). if you want to play in higher resolutions you maybe want to take the skin with a black frame (can be found in the colour pics + more GFX fore JAP - eg if you declare war :cool: ).

anyway i'll stop the advert, i'm actually impressed by the stats of the submarine division (1st post)?! 26 naval attack is a hell of a lot, but combined with super low org ...
how long does it take to build one?