• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Once, I conquered Rome and the other Papal provinces and the Papal State appeared in Liege.

I guess there has to be a Papal State, so it appears elsewhere, although I don't know if it does it randomly or there are reasons for its appearance in a specific province.

Figured it out

Actually, I just figured it out. If I open the window that shows all the states that are members of the HRE, the shield for the Papal State is there and clicking on it brings me to the province in Germany that is now the Papal Residence.

When someone annexes the Papal States, they are recreated somewhere else in the HRE. I don't think you can appoint the Pope yourself.
I didn't know this.

Does anyone know what determines where he moves?

I guess there has to be a Papal State, so it appears elsewhere, although I don't know if it does it randomly or there are reasons for its appearance in a specific province.
Not exactly.

When someone annexes the Papal States, they are recreated somewhere else in the HRE.
No.

If you cant find him he is probably in Rhodes or Riga or Avignon, these three provinces typically hold countries capable of becoming the papal state.
No.
I didn't know this.

Does anyone know what determines where he moves?
Yes, see below.
they move to a catholic theocracy, which could be a country not in the HRE.....

Correct. See http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/The_Papal_State

they pop up in avignon a lot which i don't think is in the HRE it is very annoying as they are a french vassal from there on out

Well, I admitted I was wrong, no need to rub it in. Thanks for the link anyway – I still have a bit of trouble finding what I want in the wiki.

For future readers I wanted to summarize and point out several incorrect claims here - please don't take it personal, 'rubbing it in' was not my intention :)

As for finding stuff like this in the wiki, it can be difficult if you're looking for an event you know that exists, but you don't know the event's title or id. Unfortunately I don't see an easy way around that :p

Really? Sounds awesome. I knew about that part with the random theocracy, but I thoiught the player is excluded from that. Do you get a say in it or does it just happen?
Edit: After reading the event... appearantly not. Wouldn't it be logical for a Crusader state, like the Knights, to declare themself a too violent and dangerous place for the Pope to stay?