+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why is Anatolian Peninsula part of Europe?

Why is Anatolian Peninsula part of Europe?

I was looking at the continent borders for the game and noticed that the entirety of the Anatolian Peninsula (Turkey/Ottoman Empire) is European.

Is there a reason for this to handle balance/missions/events? Maybe I should just start changing the borders of continents and watch what happens...

Waiting for The Miracle anubisfike's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    MagickaRome GoldSengokuVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

As far as I know it's for balance and I'm guessing also to make the AI Ottomans work slightly better.

In the game it's important what continent a country's capital is on. If Anatolia was considered part of Asia as is traditional in reality, the Ottomans would have trouble switching their capital around between there and Constantinople.

Same reason Turks and Arabs are considered part of the same culture group or why Hungarian culture is present in places it shouldn't. So the game works better.

Hmm, I will definitely test this out later tonight.

I really want to make sure its needed because if it is not then I will go nuts and completely change the borders of europe and asia in the continents file.

200k clubCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagickaSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Well , they move it by decision , not a normal move so it's not relevant.
    Being in Europe allow them to have some modifiers , like east india company.
    no more unfinished IN AAR's

Ship Simulator Extremes

I was under the impression that in the EU3 timeframe that area was considered part of Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by DDRJake View Post
    I was under the impression that in the EU3 timeframe that area was considered part of Europe.
    With heartland Byzantium there I would say it was Europe at the time.

if anatolia was in asia, most of the ottoman empire would be classed as "distant overseas" every time someone blocked the bosporus.....

It was considered part of Europe back then...
    And it helps balance as well

I believe even North Africa could be added to Europe, if you take into consideration historical reasons and balance.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: Warband

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Britain View Post
    It was considered part of Europe back then...
    And it helps balance as well

I believe even North Africa could be added to Europe, if you take into consideration historical reasons and balance.
    The thing with North Africa is that Castille would be even MORE inclined to splatter yellow all over the region if it were "in Europe."

On Probation
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindMarch of the EaglesVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House Divided

Quote Originally Posted by ByzCrusader View Post
    The thing with North Africa is that Castille would be even MORE inclined to splatter yellow all over the region if it were "in Europe."
    That's why you should try Death & Taxes. Muslims are much stronger in that mod.

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    MagickaMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

If the Ottoman capital is in Europe they'll prioritize Europe, if it is in Asia they'll prioritize Asia. As simple as that
    Them being in Europe does mean more crusades, etc targeting them in my experience as well, but as they hold much of Greece, Bulgaria, etc as the game starts that cannot be helped anyway.

I don't think I've seen Anatolia (Asia Minor) being referred to as European much but for what it's worth the concept of European or the continent of Europe was arguably mostly academical at the time. Near the end of the game the concept of "The Near East" was somewhat popular in regards to Anatolia, but that only refers to all lands controlled by the Ottoman Empire (and so often included south eastern Europe).
    When trying to promote a sameness with the rest of the European monarchs it was much more common to refer to "Christendom" than to "Europe" before at least the 18th century anyway.
    Last edited by Trin Tragula; 12-05-2012 at 07:29.
    My mods:
    Oriental Mod for EU3 - For an EU3 experience with a more realistic Asia (and many other things as well).

Minimal India Improvement Mod for EU3 - A mod that just focuses on improving the Indian map in EU3 without increasing the number of provinces.

Crusader Kings IIDivine WindHearts of Iron III CollectionMarch of the EaglesVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Fronzel View Post
    In the game it's important what continent a country's capital is on. If Anatolia was considered part of Asia as is traditional in reality, the Ottomans would have trouble switching their capital around between there and Constantinople.
    It happens to be the case that the Ottoman capital at the start of the game is Edirne, which is the province west of Thrace and therefore definitely in Europe.
    If you think someone's trolling, PM a moderator.

Ask your quick modding questions in the appropriate place

Whether Turkey is part of Europe now is still debated.
    -Ruanek

Quote Originally Posted by Ruanek View Post
    Whether Turkey is part of Europe now is still debated.
    This~

+ Reply to Thread