• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

chgrogers

Major
91 Badges
May 22, 2008
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis III
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
Last edited:
Chapter 0: Annexation of Navarra Oct 1399- Nov 1400

"Sire King Carlos III de Everux,
Aragon is attacking Citing Subjugation as their reasoning! What do we do?"

tGU9b.jpg

"First send merchants to Lubeck we are going to need gold in the near future. Have the army attack Pirineo."

bbxYc.jpg

"Sire, the Aragonese army arrived in Pirineo first. What are your orders?"

YtoYF.jpg

"Continue with the plan alternate between attacking Aragon and Pirineo we may keep them off balance long enough.

"Sire we have a problem! Sicily is attacking from the sea."

PJwjX.jpg

"Well new plan recall the troops. I will lead the troops with the gunpowder weapons I designed"
Said the King
"One problem you have the only 2 working rifles in Europe. Estimated time to complete the 1000 new rifles for our infantry is 1500"

ekae8.jpg

"I'll still lead the troop but I may have to retreat to Castille or England.

After fierce battle withe the Sicilian army King Carlos III de Everex was forced to retreat to Castille.

"Sire, I just received word that Brittany has joined the enemy coalition."
"If I don't mind asking where are we heading the battle is back in Navarra?"

AGy3V.jpg

"Valencia. We are going counter siege Valencia. I hope to cause the King Marti I d'Arago of Aragon and Queen Marti I d'Arago of Sicily enough public outrage to force White peace"

On Sunday November 3rd 1400 almost 1 year after the start of the invasion Navarra fell to Sicily. On Monday Sicily annexed Navarra.

CEcho.jpg

The End or is it?

On Tuesday November 5th 1400,

"Sire I thought the royal family are executed when your country is annexed?"

"Normally it is true but I was in Valencia when Navarra fell and escaped the handmans noose."

"So what's the plan?"

"Time machine. We are going to send a little note back in time and change history."

*Gets our quill and paper* "What will it say?"

"Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line!" "Then I'll sign and date it"

"Huh I don't get it?"

"Good but I will. This time round Navarra will rule the world. It just might take a few attempts"

Well good luck to you: You'll need it.

In fact, you may want to think about becoming a vassal of Aragon. Sure, you'll lose half of your income, but it could buy you some time. Once Aragon gets into trouble, break them off.

I actually planned on the first time round but Sicily messed with the entire plan. I am hoping since I have the house rules are little light I might be able to skate and steal some good territory after becoming free. So far I have found out I don't get a casus belli to break free of Aragons rule. So I guess ill hope for a excommunication during a bad war with Castille or France.

I did a Navarra game myself a while ago, i was lucky not to be attacked by Aragon so i expanded my trade throughout the european cots, and then i had tons of money, enough to hire about 20 mercenary regiment, that and some moves towards quality plus the military discipline idea i could take out the Aragonese army with some strategy and reloads. After that i allied with Portugal and took Castille down, but this took a long time before i had the opportunity, it was in 1445 or something i think, so with patience and some luck not getting dowed at start and you can make it, Navarra has exceptional sliders so it's very doable.

Good luck with your conquest.

One tip: the chances of Aragon attacking you as Navarra will go down greatly if your relations with them are over +100. Also, if you manage to form a Royal Marriage, the chances of bein DOWed will drop even further.

Certainly an action packed start! So, Navarra is to rule the world next time around? I look forward to seeing that.

Thanks for everyone votes of confidences. The second attempt is more interesting from an Aragon point of view. I'll attempt to make another update after work. I tried last night timed out on the forum and lost my work. I know I should have used copy and paste from Word. Suggestions would be great my current plan is colonize as many islands I can find building up a massive fleet to prevent Aragon explansion.

Chapter 1: Vassalage of Navarra and Economic Growth 1399-1409

It is Oct 1399 and King Carlos III De Everux had just received a disturbing letter from himself from Nov 1400.
"Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line!"
“What does that mean really?” “If it alludes to a battle of wits with a Sicilian I understand, but I think this directly relates to the upcoming war with Aragon.”
“Runner send words to the troops, Prepare for invasion. Send an expedition to Lubeck our coffers need filling, war is brewing. I will give them some assistance and allow more free trade.”
pOSd8.jpg

“One other thing what about the people request for better relations with Foix?”
“Send them a guarantee and request military access.”
3 days later Aragon declared war citing subjugation as the Casus Belli. Sicily joined immediately afterward.
Io2yD.jpg

“If they had given us a year even 6 months to prepare we could have hired several mercenary companies to fight for us. Give the orders for the men to march into Castille. I have already gotten military access. Give orders for the merchants to spend as much money as they can I don’t want Aragon to plunder our coffers.”
VPhU9.jpg

By June 1400 a combined force of Aragon and Sicily have assaulted and seized Navarra, while the Navarra military watched from the Castille border.
“I know you men would give you lives to fight the Aragon army but I will not give your lives for no gain. For now we wait.”
“Sire, Aragon has demanded terms!”
3lzxh.jpg

“They stole 22 ducats and I am not the Duke of Navarra. It could be worse. Give orders to the me to move out. Begin minting some currency now is not the time to take out a loan. “
“Sire, there is a master of the mint from Norway wishing to seek your employment. His name is Kennet Leifsson.”
dUTO6.png

“Excellent how much is he worth?”
“19 Ducats sire, but we only have 2 in the treasury. “
“Fine take out a loan. Have him immediately begin minting more money. I also want more merchants in the Centers of Trade around the world.”
Meanwhile Austria is battling Milan for Northern Italy.
P3UeQ.jpg

Burgundy is at war with England for Calais.
oXLgG.jpg

The year is now 1404 and Navarra’s merchant have brought great wealth into the realm but they are still a Vassal to Aragon with no foreseeable way out of it in the near future.
Another diplomat from Aragon comes demanding Navarra sign an alliance with Aragon and join in on it conquest of Naples and Morocco.
3U1Nk.jpg

“In other news we have completed research on Government 4 and are able to take a new National Idea.”
“Great take National Trade Policy lets increase out trade income even more. Then begin researching trade.”
“Another thing the loan is due in Oct of next year and the people are demanding we repay it. What shall we do?”
Since is we have 0 inflation I want you to instead mint most our trade into ducats. Im sure the people will forgive us for a little inflation for getting rid of the loan. “
The Next year: “Sire you where correct after paying off the loan our currency value deflated back to its original values.”
“Excellent, now we don’t need to tell them we used most of that money to fill our treasury build a new church and start construction on a new marketplace as well. What do my people wish I would do for them next?”
*Face turns white* “Save Vizcaya from abuses from Castille.”
How come they don’t as for something useful like perform miracles or overthrow our Aragon Lords. These are a little more realistic. Very well inform the people I will begin a plan to rescue of our brethren. “
0ED58.jpg

After another 3 quiet years under Aragon rule trade is great. Aragon has annexed Infi from Morocco and is at war with Naples, Provence, Ferrara and Modena.
“Sire we have dire news there is a Trade Crisis!”
Ekfhj.png

“Do what we can for them. Since we still have so many merchants in the worlds centers of trade we can afford to send them at a higher price than normal.” “Another thing since we have some great culture I want to hire a Treasurer to work alongside our master of the mint and Philosopher.”
GrygV.png

Coming on 10 years as the Vassal of Aragon:
“Sire the people wish to see small changes to the government. What orders do you wish to carry out?”
“Give the Plutocracy more power. It will help our merchants out and the black market has some uses as well.”
aBASu.png

“Well sire other than the war at the beginning of your reign things are quiet and we have made many economic gains. What are your plans for the next 10 years?”
“That Azores and Canaries! There are a couple of uncharted island I want our people to settle.”

And so Navarra begins colonization :D . Excellent job in creating a trade empire for your Basque nation, so I hope nothing horrible happens that would force you to quit.

Going colonial is the best way. I usually focus my investments in trade, because it improves the overall income while also bringing the "Quest for the New World" national idea closer.

As you know, taking the Azores, Madeira and Canarias first has some advantages, like preventing Castille and Portugal from doing so and preparing milestones to colonizing America.

As a final word, you could choose to slowly expand in the New World, or take your chances, throw Aragon out and conquer Mali ,destroying their CoT in the process, following your rules, if you were not lucky enough to gain it trhorugh coring of some sort.

It's a daring gambit, but it paids off in the long run.

Of course, good luck.

Looks like choice between the devil and the deep blue sea. Sea is probably better. Subscribed

Chapter 2: The Dukes Madness and The Quest for the New World

“Sire, I have morning report about the state of the world. Denmark has nearly taken over all of Scotland in their last war.”

oue63.jpg

“Aragon’s army is down to 4k infantry and 1k cavalry. It may be time to declare independence, but their naval strength is much great than ours. From what I understand we would need 1 Carrack for every 2 galleys they have to win any battles.”

gGNwA.png

KjrRL.png

“The most shocking thing was our income surpassed all of our neighbors in the last year”

qwZEG.png

According to the national statistics we have one of the world’s highest incomes next to the largest empires.”

8qlAf.png

“That is all.”
“Thank you my good man for keeping me informed. The Denmark thing I was you to keep an eye on it. I hear that we will be researching trade 5 soon. When we do I want all the new centers of trade filled within the year.”

DgR7k.png

“Sire, I have some excellent news from 1412 to 1414. It seems that we received 2 very large gifts of the stats and our trade policy has succeeded.”

tsKca.png

qofov.png

aJ1O9.png

“Great put the money in our treasury and continue to show the world how to trade goods the right way” to celebrate I want our crafters to build a new dock and Constable in Navarra.”

“Sire, 1415 might be our chance to break free of Aragon. They have joined England in a war against France.”

As57j.jpg

“Keep an eye on the situation if France gains the upper hand we will declare our Independence.”

“Sire, it seems your caution has saved us from being overrun by Aragon. France lost another war. They lost much of the southern half that it had retained from its Disastrous war with Austria.”

ezJnE.jpg

“Sire, its time for another morning report, excuse me sire but where are your pants?”

“There once was a king named Cole, he was a jolly old soul. He ate some Jelly and oh my look at his belly.”

“Ummm sire, what are you talking about.” “Guards go get Captain Garcia de Salazar and his brother Major Gaspar de Salazar. I need some military advice what to do about this situation.”

qrMsL.png

“Sire I have some dire news your son was in a hunting accident.”

“Oh well he was a bastard anyways and weak to boot. We are better off without him.”

“Oh sire you don’t mean that it’s your illness talking” –Captain Salazar

“Well I don’t like bastard. I am issuing this royal decree all bastards must die since My Bastard got himself killed.”

“I will issue the orders immediately” – Major Salazar

9ZJwO.png

Some time later

“So brother did you really send the order to kill all those people?”

“No I did not. Are you crazy! I don’t want the people to rebel while the duke recovers.”

“I am relieved.”

“Sire I have some new about the state of Europe in 1418. It seems Scotland has pushed Denmark out of its territory. France continues to fall apart with England stealing more territory in southern France.”

“Purple Puppy Panda People!”

“Exactly sire, I’m glad you are feeling better.”

dTBGP.jpg

“Sire it is now November 1419 and we have finally reached your goal for the Quest for the New World.”

“I am bored with these military advisers you have stuck me with I say give them mission for exploring and conquering the natives in these new lands.”

faiqb.png

March 1420,
“Sire Explorer Admiral Salazar has sent back great news. We have colonized The Azores, sending colonist to Madeira and Conquistador General Salazar is exploring the Caneries.”

“That is great news! I just have one question. What happened to my son? I feel as if I should know but the last few years have been a little fuzzy.”

“Sire, its time for another morning report, excuse me sire but where are your pants?”

“There once was a king named Cole, he was a jolly old soul. He ate some Jelly and oh my look at his belly.”...

“Well I don’t like bastard. I am issuing this royal decree all bastards must die since My Bastard got himself killed.”...

“That is great news! I just have one question. What happened to my son? I feel as if I should know but the last few years have been a little fuzzy.”

:rofl: That was a very entertaining update, and excellent too since your income continues to increase. Just increase the number of your colonists and you'll be able to colonize on a large scale in no time!

A nice take on the temporary insanity of monarch event! I like the strategy you've adopted for Navarra and everything seems to be going swimmingly at the moment (insane monarchs and lost heirs aside), hopefully that continues.

Yea colonies
France does look to be having a difficult time:happy:

France got pummeled by England, Austria, Burgundy and Aragon. Which is part of my problem I was hoping for a weak Aragon for a quick release but it looks like I will make my own luck.

Colonization

Cape Verde, Bermuda and then the east coast of south america.
good luck getting away from argon when you want to.:ninja: