• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
There are a few problems with having an "Emperor" in an open interactive AAR. Either the Emperor will have emperor-like powers and the other players will be unhappy, or the Emperor will have to be curbed and then they will be unhappy for not getting Emperor powers and the others unhappy for not having the same title.

That's how I'd predict it going in real life. Sure a bunch of rules can be made about it. But the Emperor should be an NPC, to be honest, or it would hurt the democratic and ergo interactive portion of the story.

Wouldn't the Emperor work essentially like having a President/Prime Minister though? or would it be more advanced, and therein lies the problem?

Wouldn't the Emperor work essentially like having a President/Prime Minister though? or would it be more advanced, and therein lies the problem?
But if he is a Prime Minister, just call him a Prime Minister. That's what I mean. On paper it might sounds like it would work, but this isn't just RL... this is the internet. People might take it a bit too far.

I see your point. The Emperor could work like "the speaker" in SOTA, with whoever's in charge of the IAAR being the Emperor? And for coups, if the coup was to succeed, the Emperor would be deposed and a new one put in place(to maybe still be controlled by the person in charge?)? That would help moderate the Emperor a bit. The Emperor could also have his own personal army- which is different usually to the normal IAARs from what I've seen?
It's a nebulous idea right now.
Japan would probably work in the same way, or probably not, as the Shoguns of Japan were not as revered as Emperors of China historically were they?

Just might be hard to have PVP outside of an MP AAR. Of course, there is nothing stopping - as you described - an MP AAR focused on the Japanese clans fighting or cooperating for control of Japan in an EU3 game. But it might be easier and more fair to do it that way rather than an interactive AAR where the house rules would be a page and a half at least.

I'd like to support the idea of a Merchant Republic interactive AAR - especially if you place it in one of the traditional maritime republics - Venice, Ragusa or Genoa. Strangly, EU3 and CKII both exclude the other maritime republics of the era - Ancona and Pisa, so they aren't an option, but I love the idea.

I'd like to support the idea of a Merchant Republic interactive AAR - especially if you place it in one of the traditional maritime republics - Venice, Ragusa or Genoa. Strangly, EU3 and CKII both exclude the other maritime republics of the era - Ancona and Pisa, so they aren't an option, but I love the idea.

I'm not sure an OPM is a great idea for an Interactive AAR...

Now that I think about it, we have 2 Victoria II AARs ending, with SotA finishing up and the USA AAR wrapping up as well. While most people would probably prefer to do a Trade Republic in EUIII, a Victorian era Trade Republic would be an interesting idea. I'm just trying to think of a logical explanation for it...

Now that I think about it, we have 2 Victoria II AARs ending, with SotA finishing up and the USA AAR wrapping up as well. While most people would probably prefer to do a Trade Republic in EUIII, a Victorian era Trade Republic would be an interesting idea. I'm just trying to think of a logical explanation for it...
Hawai'i after the Dole take over?

Capitalist republic? I suppose someone could release Venice or mod the Two Sicilies?

Perhaps the Carlistis win only with the support of wealthy business traders, who then demand a say in government?

The Dole idea seems like fun, though.

Or Portugal? Someone tried to do an Interactive AAR about Portugal some time ago without mod approval; so it never got off the ground.

Portugal would be quite interesting... Well admitedly, any Interactive AAR would be interesting for me. I joined rather late on the "party". I am curious, would the merchant republics work considerably differently to the democratic ones done in the past, or essentially the same- people voting for someone to represent them, or just voting for someone to be the "ruler"? Would there even be parties in a Merchant Republic?

I am curious, would the merchant republics work considerably differently to the democratic ones done in the past, or essentially the same- people voting for someone to represent them, or just voting for someone to be the "ruler"? Would there even be parties in a Merchant Republic?

That's all up to the author of course, but I would at least assume there would be loose groupings of merchants (factions) which could function like political parties.

Obviously if the setting is Vicky II there will be political parties, technically speaking.

Well, first off:
... admittedly, any Interactive AAR would be interesting for me.

That being said, merchant or Hawaii style capitalist republics are definitely intriguing. The Confederate States could also be interesting, especially in a case where they would probably eventually lose (so instead of Presidents or Shadow, where the nation is getting stronger and stronger, the nation is slowly caving away as political bickering and hasty plans are set up).

I've also always wanted to see (and considered starting at times, but never found the time to) a Chinese Warlord Era AAR. The era simply is so much like an interactive AAR - Yuan Shikai allies with the KMT for awhile then attempts to form a monarchy of his own, Cao Kun blatantly bribes his way to the presidency...

The Emperor (to begin with) and the national government (once it is set up) could be NPC. Participants would be focusing on regions and cliques - trying to expand their influence and the influence of their allies (in political blocks such as the Communists, the Kuomintang, the Beiyang, etc.). There could be coups or wars - either player initiated as in SOTA or only started by the events of the story (so if a clique was distancing itself too far from the national government, the national government could declare an expedition to bring them back in line). Instead of primaries, each faction could set up its own "national government" if powerful enough (enough players and perhaps control of a major city to be the capital) and vote in that like in a primary (on NPC's politicians and legislation). Instead of national elections, each clique would decide how much it would support each of these governments (in-game in terms of soldiers, money, and obedience to legislation). Failure to support or to follow legislation could lead to fighting or lack of protection from the other cliques.

It would take some work to figure out a not-overly-complicated model, but it could be very cool in the end - lots of different government types, all sorts of economic and military policies and shenanigans possible, etc.

Personally I think a Britain post 1900 would be interesting if you play it with PDM, as that adds great wars, an Irish independence event chain, you have the issue of Indian rebellions, and other stuff to keep it interesting.

I also agree with Gloa that a Warlords Era AAR would be very good.

Personally I had always intended to make an interactive AAR once Empire had come out, charting the evolution of the constitution so players get a more significant say in how the process of government ultimately turns out.

Personally I think a Britain post 1900 would be interesting if you play it with PDM, as that adds great wars, an Irish independence event chain, you have the issue of Indian rebellions, and other stuff to keep it interesting.
Yeah, Britain has a lot of different backgrounds politicians can come from and a lot of world issues. even before 1900 The Opium Wars, letting the dominions free, where and how much to colonize, what to do with colonies, great wars or colonial invasions, the Indian issues, the Irish, possible thoughts of intervention with the American Civil War or other wars around the globe - lots of things to debate as Britain had its hands in everything, and lots of ways to diverge from history by player choice. Sphere of influence could be a major consideration - whether to pursue to the Great Game in Asia, carve out a sphere of influence in China, involve itself in Europe...