META THREAD: Warlock Wishlist - Post ALL your Suggestions here...

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Criticisms I've heard of the game include:

1. Alternate worlds are so hard to conquer that by the time you can do it, you might as well just destroy the other players. Reduce the difficulty of invading and/or increase the rewards from doing so (perhaps unique terrain types only the alternate worlds have that provide super-units?)
2. The magic is a bit weak for a game about wizards. You feel like you're playing Civ 5 and maybe doing a bit of conjuring on the side.
3. World-changing magic is pretty much absent. I want to see spells that affect the entire world. One suggestion I heard was a spell that destroyed the main game world, leaving you only the alternate worlds to fight over. Now THAT'S magic.

+1 from me on all these!

- option to raze/convert city after conquer,
- unit which is standing in the portal should prevent (block) it from passing through,
- bigger screen with gods allingment,

the rest (items, heroes, AI tweaking, victory conditions, progress chart, result chart etc) hes been posted before ...

Things i would like to see:
-Hot keys (even hard coded would still be an improvement over mouse only, but customizable would be better)
-Summary screens, like what Civ5 has, so you can quickly find a specific unit/city and see what everyone/thing is doing.
-Tech/Spell tree, or some other way to determine what's going to be coming up next. I really liked the spellbook/school idea from Master of Magic.

Cities & Buildings
1) Unique Building Icons - One of the things that makes city management such a pain is so many of the buildings share the same Icons. This makes it really hard to tell what is in your city at a glance. Sure when picking a building the name is there so that is easy enough, but once the buildings are constructed it's hard to tell what they are without mousing over everything in the city. I like how the Temples all have very unique Icons and feel the rest of the buildings deserve the same treatment.

2) Icon outline Color - I assume one of the main reasons for using that same icons was to make it easy to tell Gold/Food/Mana/Training building types. But I think if you instead make the Circle around the Icon different colors it would help convey the same information while also making it easier to tell what the building actually is. Food would be pinkish red color, Gold - Yellow, Mana - Blue, R&D - Cyan, Resource buildings - Purple, Unit Producing - White, Unit Upgrade - Orange, and etc for any I missed.

3) Show Upgrades on Unit List - On the unit build list show the upgrades the city will place on new units after the unit name. This way you can quickly glance what units will get what upgrades from the buildings in your town.

4) Destroy Buildings - The inability to remove unwanted buildings in your town is a major issue. If you mistakenly build the wrong building or decide that you want to refocus the city production or capture an enemy city with terrible building selection you are screwed. Your only option is to just live with it or destroy the city and start again, something I'm starting to do with all cities I capture because having high tier buildings I can't use left in the city taking up space is annoying. The only real reason I can think that it's not allowed is the potential balance issue of having only high tier buildings in a city by scrapping the lower ones. But that is easy enough to fix by simply giving the user a notice that they can not destroy a curtain building until the buildings that require it are removed first. Also destroying a building takes 1 turn to slow down the time of reworking the economy.

5) Captured Cities Raze High Tier buildings first - As mentioned above it's a pain that some high tier building remains and is inactive until I build back up to it's requirements. Whatever function it uses to pick what buildings are destroyed should emphasis the high level buildings first so that you are never stuck with a building that the required building is missing and thus grayed out. It forces you to either build up that path to use the building, suffer with a less efficient city, or simply scrap the whole town and start over. Personally I've taken up scorched earth policy because it's actually more efficient then keeping the city.

6) Raze Enemy Buildings on map - It would really add a bit more tactical feel if you could do more hit and run style attacks on enemy cities. The easiest way I think to do this is if you could Raze enemy buildings. It could either completely destroy them or simply put them in a ruined state and the player needs to rebuild them in the city. Also perhaps if buildings provided something more towards the city stats as a whole it would give even more reason to target the buildings and weaken the city defenses. Also if buildings could be razed it would give wandering monsters more of a threat as most can't capture a city and pose no real danger. Similar to how barbarians are a threat to pillaging your tile improvements in Civilizations even though they aren't strong enough to capture the city.

7) City Building Icons on main map - It's hard to recognize what all the buildings are just from their looks on the main map. It would be nice if there was a toggle option to display the buildings Icons so you could get a better feel for what the cities have. Especially handy for checking out enemy city layouts with out needing to mouse over every building individually.

8) Construction Complete Popup - Instead of the construction complete taking you to each city and seeing a 2 second green text pop up, which does always seem to appear might be bug, it would be nice instead to display a pop up window. It would have a list with the name of the cities and the name of the buildings that were completed there. You could then click on them to be taken to that city. This way you can get a quick overview without needing to bounce around the map while being a speed reader. I stop clicking on the construction complete icon because it was to much of a hassle trying to spot that 2 second text which is in TINY print. I play on 1920x1080 res in case that matters.

9) Spell Icons Over City Name - On the main map above the name of the city it would be nice if it displayed the spell icons for any spells on a city. This would make it a lot easier to figure out what spells on are on what cities without having to mouse over them. It would also make it easier to spot enemy spells as several times now I have just happen by one of my cities to build something and noticed there was a negative spell on it.

10) More City Names - I have over a dozen cities named Millpool. The auto name generate for cities needs to be a lot larger since on huge maps it seems to run out and I have dozens of cities with the same name.

11) Mouse Build menu displays ALL required buildings - If you mouse over Wizard's guild it tells you it needs the Library so you then have to go find the Library which then tells you it needs the Mana trap. Instead the tooltip for the Wizards guild should List Mana Trap and Library as Required. Unless of course the Mana Trap is already built in which case it only list the Library. And the Build order should be top down so that Mana trap being first in the line is at the top of tooltip. If the tooltips auto generate based on the buildings actual requirements then simply adding more requirements would potentially solve that problem. It would also help prevent destroying lower tier buildings to building high end ones while leaving the middle tier that could be caused when adding the ability to Scrap buildings. So player can't scrap the Mana Trap after building a Library to build a Wizard Guild in a size 2 city as the Wizard guild would now require both buildings be present.

12) Better City Defenses - Right now cities are fairly pathetic at defending themselves. It's not long into the game when most units start getting Missle resist and the cities don't really keep up in terms of damage as their size increases. By mid game they are laughable worthless and late game completely joke pinging things for 2-3 HP. The amount of Damage they do as their size increases needs to be drastically increased. As for their HP it is nice that they increase in size but it does not really help that much as mid-late game units can still level a city in 2-3 attacks. The problem is no resistance plus some units have bonuses against cities making it so I've seen over 200 damage against a city with 100+ being common place. Only the very largest of cities even last more then 2-3 attacks and even then not long. Cities should also get a resistance bonus as well, say +5 All resist for every population in the city?

13) Buildings Contribute to city Defense - In keeping with making cities tougher I think it would be nice if the buildings you built also had some bonus to the city's defense. Namely the guilds so that Warrior/Rogue would add Melee Damage, Ranger adds Ranged, Wizard adds Elemental, and Cleric adds Spirit. That way it feels more like the city is rallying to it's defense based on what you have. Forts could also add Melee and Range Resistances while magic towers add towards Death, Spirit, and Elemental Resistance.

14) More Useful Fort/Towers - The towers are kind of nice early game but all to soon they become completely worthless. Not long into the game I started ignore them because even though the AI waste tons of space building them it's faster to take out the city first. Which is part of the reason I think they should boost main city's defense. As time went on though I started targeting them first though, not because they were actually hurting me but I didn't want them in the city taking up space after I captured it, my original tactic was capture the city and turn the towers on the enemy but having seen how worthless they are I don't want them at all. They need something to make them stronger or perhaps have late game versions of them? Maybe upgrade perks you can purchase since they are units you can select on the map? Or have them upgrade along with city as it gets larger? Because they are worthless late game and you can't destroy buildings I will NEVER build one in any of my cities (except bat towers which are required for Vamps) and raze any city I capture that has them wasting space. The loss of limited building slot is not worth the tiny amount of damage it does and more cost effective to station a Hunter in each city. I figure 1 Farm & 1 Craftsman district get you enough for 3 Hunters which are better then 2 towers and are mobile.

15) Destruction of Capital not Game Over - This I think is easily the biggest flaw in the game's victory conditions. All you have to do is get a small force and rush the capital and you win. Cities are easy to capture by mid game and simply move an army next to enemy capital, declare war, capture and victory. Instead there should be a MoM style where if you loss your capital you can no longer cast spells and any spell you were casting is canceled (Unity Counter). Then you automatically start casting a return spell that take several turns after which you cast it on a city making it your new capital.

16) Group Buildings by Build Order - Right now it displays all the buildings you can construct and if you click the display all buildings icon it shows the buildings you can't currently build at the bottom. Those buildings you can not build seem to be grouped by type as I notice most of the same icons right next to each other. Instead of simply placing them at the bottom and grouped by type they should be mixed in with the others and displayed in the order the would be required to build. For example the player would see; Mana Trap, Library, Clerics Guild, Wizards Guild, Magic Bazaar, University, and Military Academy in order from top to bottom with Mana Trap being the only one not grayed out because it's the start of the chain. Then as they scroll down build list to next group and they see Warriors Guild, Smithy, Mechanics Guild, Barracks, and Training Grounds in that order with Warriors Guild being the only one not grayed out as it's the start of the chain. This way the player can quickly see which buildings are the start of each chain and what they lead towards. It's a lot easy then simply grouping the can build at top and can't build at bottom with organized by type.

Resources
1) Tooltip shows Buildings for Resource - Instead of the tool tip saying "Curtain special buildings can be constructed on this resource, if it falls inside a city's boundaries." it should actually say what those buildings are similar to the way it does when mousing over a resource in the city screen. For easy of reference have it divided into 4 categories; All, Humans, Monsters, Undead. It says the name then : followed by the building types. This way you can quickly plan what race settlers you want to send to claim the resource, assuming you have all 3 at that point.

2) Resource Icons - Have the option to toggle on/off Resource Icons. This would make it a lot easier to spot resources on the map and get a lay of the land for city building.

3) More Resource buildings - Right now there are several resources that only have one building type. Once you have one and an extra as backup you can't help but thinking what a huge waste of space that resource is now on your land. Adamantium and Nevril are prime examples of this as their buildings as expensive to maintain and once you have one you can easily upgrade all your units so extras just take up space. Instead they should have other options perhaps a workshop that makes Adamantium/Nevril Golems? Or some kind of resource generating building. Gold Dragon Eggs cost 20 gold to allow you to train golden dragons but once you have 1-2 you don't want to waste all that money on another so how about a resource building similar to the one on regular Dragon Egg nest? Infernal Portal is kinda pointless once you get all spells researched, how about an additional building that allows you to train summon creatures in the city for mana cost? The ancient ruins are the same way in that once spells are done R&D is pointless so how about a building that reduces casting time?

4) Resource tiles return to normal on destruction - When you capture or destroy a city and the building on a resource tile is destroyed it puts that destroyed tile graphic there. This makes it really hard to see where and what resources are on the land. If I save and then load the game the land returns to normal. I don't mind it for the other tiles but any tile with a resource should return to it's normal graphics so the player can easily spot them. Or course if suggestion 2 (resource icons) were present this wouldn't be an issue either.

Realms/Worlds & Monsters
1) Tooltip shows Realm Name - One you go through a portal and discover what Realm it is when you mouse over the portal on the Main map it should say what Realm it goes to. In my game 3 Mystic Portals are within 10 Hex area across. I am constantly forgetting which portal goes to which world. Having the mouse over tool tip say would be a huge help.

2) Monster Wander instead of Camping - The monsters just seem to camp around their spawn tile which means late game you find hordes of them all in one spot and going into the other Realms unleashes a wave of of monsters it takes armies to conquer. To the point that trying to conquer a realm requires an army stronger enough to wipe out every other caster on the map which means you should of already won. Instead I think the main monsters should of course camp the loot site to protect it but any other monsters should seek out the nearest city or units and attack them. This applies for the Realms as well with the monster that are not guarding the loot spot should head straight for the portal and being raging in the main world map. That way portals are dangerous places to be around but also act as more of a way to regulate the monster spawn in the world since they are constantly coming out. As it is now 1 portal is really enough because having enough just to clear one means you have effectively won the game.

3) Full Worlds instead of Tiny Realms - Have the option in game settings to have full size realms if you want. Perhaps even the option to spread the players across them as well along with multiple portals to and from them. Similar to how MoM had the mirror world with multiple portals back and forth.

Quest
1) No quest to capture Enemy Capital - I don't mind getting the capture enemy city quest from time to time. But when it picks the enemy capital it basically means I have to wipe out the enemy caster to complete the quest. If capturing the capital didn't take a player out of the game this wouldn't be a problem.

2) More quest types - The quest are so limited I think I've seen 3-4 so far; Build Harbor, Build Temple, Kill Monster, and Capture Enemy city. How about quest to wipe out monster nest? Destroy X number of enemy units? Bring Unit of curtain type to map location as sort of delivery quest, unit is then used up and could even have requirements like Rogue with Enchanted weapons? Destroy enemy tower? And so on. I'm sure others can think of some more.

3) Bounty - Similar to the Kill a curtain creature type but instead it gives you a much smaller reward every time you kill a creature of that type. For example a bounty of 20 gold is placed on spiders for 20 turns. So any spiders you kill during that time you get an extra 20 gold. This could be applied to enemy units as well by adviser instead of the basic capture enemy city. Or an expanded Diplomacy system could allow players to put bounties on other players this way.

Interface & UI
1) Fast Animation Options - It is very annoying how I have to double click every action to speed through animations. Playing on larger maps with several dozen units it very time consuming because of this, also my finger is getting sore. Plus while working on raiding the Realms there are dozens of enemy units and turns take forever. I could keep clicking to speed through the enemy turns but as I said by finger is sore. So instead I take the opportunity to go into the other room and do other things. It's not a good sign when players activity seek to find other things to do when playing a game.

2) Still have the game run when in the background - It doesn't matter if it's fullscreen with alt-tab out or if window mode and focused on another window the game stops running in the background. As mentioned above turns take a very long time to process so I'd like to alt-tab over and surf the web while waiting but can't because it stops all turn processing when the window doesn't have primary focus. I do alt-tab with other games during slow periods so it should be possible.

3) Tome of Lore / Wizipedia - An in game catalog of all units, spells, buildings, perks, and etc. Similar to the Civipedia found in Civilization games.

4) Hotkeys - There should be hotkeys for most actions to speed things along.

5) Management Screens - There should be management screens for Empire, Spells, and Military.

6) Upgrade All Equipment - When ever I produce a new unit there is a ton of perks available for it. Having to open the window ten times and click on each one is annoying. It would be nice if there was a buy all button that showed you the total cost and would simply get all perks in one click. Or at the very least don't close the window once you buy a perk so you can quickly click on all of them.

7) Auto Select Next Idle unit - Have the option to turn on switch to next unit. That way after you move a unit it simply goes to the next one without having to click the Next Idle unit icon every time.

8) Display Level Up Automatically - It would be nice if the pick a perk window would automatically show up when you select a unit that has leveled up. That way I could get them when cycling through idle units easier instead of having to first click the level up notice button to level them all up followed by cycling through the idle units. When you got a few dozen units it's a pain to check if that arrow is over each one.

9) Let player keep playing after Win
- Most other 4x games let the player keep playing after they have won. This way you can continue to manage your empire or try out other units/tactics you would not otherwise since the pressure of victory conditions is no longer there so it's more sandbox mode.

Magic
1) Shorter Casting Time - As I've notice many people suggest the magic in the game needs a boost. The thing is the magic system's biggest stumbling block is the time it takes to cast spells. It's easy to get lots of mana but very difficult to actually use it. Gold you can drop a fortune in no time as you buy upgrades for all your units or train an army across several cities. But mana is one spell at a time most requiring a full turn to cast. Most spells like Damage, Unit Buffs, Unit Debuffs should be common with the player casting several a turn with the limit being more on mana cost and upkeep. City level buffs/debuffs should be more along the lines of 1-2 per turn. Where as gobal spells should take 1-2 turns still. There should also be more ways to increase casting speed for example a resource building that gives +25% casting speed, maybe an alternate for Ancient Ruins which currently only has 1 building. The current problem is you can't spend your mana fast enough and thus magic becomes of minor importance in a game about magic.

2) Stronger Summon Units - Late game the summon creatures are pretty worthless. They don't stand up against tougher monsters or higher tier units. It would be nice if there were some Tier 3 summon monsters to bring into the fray.

3) Summon Monsters from City - Have a building that allows you to summon magic units in the city the same as training any other unit. It would of course cost mana instead and be the same as the ones you can normally summon. They can even be tied to Resources as a new resource building type. Infernal Rift builds Infernal Portal and lets you summon Imps & Demons, The Magic Fields could let you summon Wolves and other natural type creatures, Then Magic nodes could let you summon Elementals and other Planar creatures. Could even add other resources for more types.

4) Units Cast Researched Spells - In order to help boost magic and mana usage I think it would be nice if your Magic using units could cast curtain spells that you have researched. Unlike the spells that they can normal cast it would use the player's mana to cast them. Mages would be able to cast most lower tier Arcane spells while Magisters would cast higher tier Arcane spells. Then Clerics could cast lower tier healing and Divine spells while Healers cast higher tier healing and Divine spells. There range would be limited to 2-3 spaces of course but this would greatly increase versatility and usage of spells and mana in the game. Of course each race's caster type that fits the role would do the same, I just happen to know the humans the best.

5) More Uses of Mana - As 1, 3 & 4 are trying to show the game really does need more ways to use mana. Gold is used for most things now and is really the resource of choice to obtaining victory in the game, everything else is just interesting diversions that's hard to build a real late game strategy on. So beside those I've mentioned above any method for increasing ways to use mana in the game would be nice to see.

6) Rust Spell - I've seen a lot of people comment on how easy it is to make "Super Units" with all the upgrades you can buy for a unit. Well the easiest way to counter this and help balance things out is with a rust spell which removes say 1-2 Unit upgrades. Along with a greater rust spell that removes all unit equipment upgrades. After all if I understand it correctly there is already a version of this for enchantments called Nullify, I've never actually used it on an enemy units because spell casting time requires I focus on more important things so like 95% of all spells never even bothered to try.

7) Ready Spell Tooltip shows name - At the start of your turn when a spell is ready to cast it would be nice if it actually said what the spell was in the tool-tip. I'm sure with enough time you can memorize all the spell icons but for new players it's easy to forget, especially when spells take 2 turns to cast and you got an empire to manage.

8) Better Organization of spells - It would be nice if there were further detailed sorting of spells. All the Beneficial spells are lumped together. It would be nice if they were sorted such as Unit Enchantments, City Enchantments, and Global Enchantments. The same goes for Offensive spells with Damage and Debuffs being separated. Also the option to toggle off Divine spells you can no longer cast because you have fallen out of favor.

Units
1) Late game Navy Units - Around mid game the Navy units become a bit of a joke as most of the high end units can easily out class them. I use levitation to get most of my units around and being stuck to the water with weaker attack and weaker HP the Navy units just are not worth keeping around. I scrap them just so I have less units to manage because they are not pulling their own weight. It would be nice to see battleship style ships for late tier. Give them 3 range since they are confined to the sea. Also sea units don't have access to nearly the same number of upgrades as other units do which further adds to their short comings.

2) Fortify Command - Instead of having to press Guard every turn simply have a Fortify option that makes them stay in guard mode until I cancel it. Sentry mode is frustrating as every time an enemy unit walks by, even when we are not at war, my sentry unit becomes alert. I try to have unit just sitting in city to guard it and cut down on having to manage it every turn but when the city is on the border it seems sentry just doesn't cut it.

3) Range vs Range - Ever since I played my first strategy game where Range units could attack without risk I thought they were over powered. The problem is they almost never take any damage because they can wipe out units without any risk. Melee units get hit with a counter attack so they risk being weakened against further attacks or simply dying in the attack. But when Range units attack other range units that have equal or greater reach then them the defending unit should get a chance to return fire. This way it helps bring range units more on par with melee units, at least when they are attacking other ranged units.

4) Melee vs Range - Range units are mostly advantage and very little disadvantage. The only real disadvantage that I'd noticed is they tend to have fewer HP, can't capture a city on same turn they kill it, and can't get loot on same turn as killing monster. Those are hardly disadvantages though. As far as I can tell they maintain their full strength when attacked by enemy melee units meaning they get one free attack at the enemy on their turn followed by a second one at full HP when the enemy melee unit charges them. To help balance this out I think the Defending Range should should have it's attack reduced by 50% when they are attacked by a melee unit making it more risky to take range units to the front lines as well as making it so the Melee unit doesn't take nearly as much damage when cutting them down.

Cities & Buildings
1) Unique Building Icons - One of the things that makes city management such a pain is so many of the buildings share the same Icons. This makes it really hard to tell what is in your city at a glance. Sure when picking a building the name is there so that is easy enough, but once the buildings are constructed it's hard to tell what they are without mousing over everything in the city. I like how the Temples all have very unique Icons and feel the rest of the buildings deserve the same treatment.

2) Icon outline Color - I assume one of the main reasons for using that same icons was to make it easy to tell Gold/Food/Mana/Training building types. But I think if you instead make the Circle around the Icon different colors it would help convey the same information while also making it easier to tell what the building actually is. Food would be pinkish red color, Gold - Yellow, Mana - Blue, R&D - Cyan, Resource buildings - Purple, Unit Producing - White, Unit Upgrade - Orange, and etc for any I missed.

3) Show Upgrades on Unit List - On the unit build list show the upgrades the city will place on new units after the unit name. This way you can quickly glance what units will get what upgrades from the buildings in your town.

16) Group Buildings by Build Order - Right now it displays all the buildings you can construct and if you click the display all buildings icon it shows the buildings you can't currently build at the bottom. Those buildings you can not build seem to be grouped by type as I notice most of the same icons right next to each other. Instead of simply placing them at the bottom and grouped by type they should be mixed in with the others and displayed in the order the would be required to build. For example the player would see; Mana Trap, Library, Clerics Guild, Wizards Guild, Magic Bazaar, University, and Military Academy in order from top to bottom with Mana Trap being the only one not grayed out because it's the start of the chain. Then as they scroll down build list to next group and they see Warriors Guild, Smithy, Mechanics Guild, Barracks, and Training Grounds in that order with Warriors Guild being the only one not grayed out as it's the start of the chain. This way the player can quickly see which buildings are the start of each chain and what they lead towards. It's a lot easy then simply grouping the can build at top and can't build at bottom with organized by type.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. I used MS Paint to edit a screen shot to better show what I mean. The Icon outlines are simple circles and of course would look better in game as the ring shadowing and such would be placed on them just like the gold rings are now.

City1-Colors.jpg

Last edited:
My biggest problem with this game is the unity spell. Regardless of difficulty, map size and number of rivals the unity spell is always available much sooner than any other method of victory and always cuts my games short when I start getting into them.

I think when setting up our game we should be able to choose on what victory conditions are valid as I would much prefer playing longer large scale games (so far they get to around 200 turns then me or a rival will cast unity) and so far I feel like I haven't played the game through properly instead it keeps getting cut short.

Please do either do something about unity spell to bring it in line with the amount of time it takes to reach other victory conditions or give us an option to disable it. I want to be able to explore and colonize multiple other worlds and wage long wars with enemy rivals and use a wide rage of spells in the process instead the only option to win this game is race to acquire unity spell which I don't find very enjoyable.

New building types :

- City to City Portal
- One building to help city growth (Tavern or something like that)
- Sea Buildings/Ressources

New building types :

- City to City Portal
- One building to help city growth (Tavern or something like that)
- Sea Buildings/Ressources

Sea building AND Sea resources are obligatory, imho, since a sea tile is now useless. This means, island map is useless too. This is crippling AI more, since I have captured many AI cities with plenty sea tiles in its 2nd and 3rd rings. Some even have sea tiles in 1st ring!

I also think that there should be terraforming spells; at the very least Raise Land (change sea --> land) and Erosion (change mountain --> land). If it is possible, also introduce hostile terraforming Drown Land (land --> sea) and Raise Mountain (land --> mountain).

My thoughts after 6 hours and 2 half campaigns

1. The game badly needs better hotkeys, or documentation of those hotkeys if they exist.

Suggestions include
Permanently sleep unit
Cycle to next awake unit
Cycle to next unit of any state
Center on unit
Go to unit/city closest to cursor

2. An empire summary screen which is a spreadsheet where you can look at all cities at once, and perhaps an army summary screen where you can do the same.

3. I would add some penalties for city spam. Maybe make cities have progressively higher base costs...

Capital = +5,+5,+5
Second city +3,+3,+3
Third CIty +1,+1,+1
Fourth -1,-1,-1

That is just an example and it would need balancing, but city spam is currently extremely powerful.

I have more ideas but those would be my first three suggestions.

My $0.02

Last edited:
New Race Naga (Water people) - The addition of a water based race along with several unique water resources would help go a long way towards making water based maps and costal cities not feel short compared to land heavy cities.

Water Resources - Having some water resources, even if it's just for production boost, would go a long way to helping coastal cities. For example Whales and Fish have you build a fishing fleet which gives + Food. Or Pearls which give + Gold.

Water Buildings - The easiest way to make water buildings that fit would instead be to build fleets. They look and act like normal buildings but you place them on water and have Harbor or Shipyards as requirement to build. Things like Fishing fleet which acts similar to farms or Trade Fleet which acts similar to Craftsman District. Only to make them more unit have Fishing Fleet give +4 Food and upkeep -1 Gold. While the Trade Fleet is +4 Gold and -1 Food upkeep. This way they feel more unique.

1. I would like to see Knowledge reduce spell cost and casting time instead of just reserach time.
2. I would like to be able to upload my own portraits
3. I would like to be able to mod the game, even if it was just txt editing i.e. increasing power of perks
4. I think that Sea Serpents should be made less prevalent as in game right now i have 7 cities being attacked by 3 or four of them, I think happens late game
5. I would like to see more Resources in the other worlds
6. I would also like to see the too close to city limit to found another city be reduced i.e one from closest city.
7. Lastly advance naval warfare by either improving second tier ships so they can siege port bound cities or allow them to blockade a cities port reducing production of food.

another possible improvement that I would like to see would be sea cities that you can build on water and sea buildings like a sea serpent farm, underwater mining, and Naval Bases that spawn marines or another type of warrior and an automatic perk to any units built there that will allow more naval damage and have more movement on water. ^from Spyre

Edit- Allow us to summon demons through a building built on infernal rift

Instead of giving one random new spell to research each time, give five random spells.

Strategy games are all about presenting the player with interesting decisions to make that have lasting consequences. Replacing a single spell when research is complete does not do this as well as presenting five new spells each time. Let's compare the two so I can demonstrate better.

If you have a random one system, you may have several spells you want at the start of the game. Choosing between them isn't too difficult though; whichever one you pick, you can just get the next spell when you're done researching the first one. You only need to plan ahead as far as it takes to research both spells, so it's not a particularly interesting decision. There are no long term consequences. Once you've researched the spells you want, you only get one new spell at a time. If it's a spell you want now, you research it. If it isn't, you research whatever spell finishes fastest in hopes of getting a spell you want next time. This isn't a particularly engaging process, and the player doesn't really have to consider much of anything. Your research options are going to be 80% the same next time no matter what you do.

If you have a random five system, you are far more likely to have several spells you want showing up at the same time. This makes for more interesting decisions than trickling spells in one at a time. The important thing here is that when you choose one spell, the others are not going to be available for some unknown amount of time. You don't know when they'll show up again, so you have to consider things like researching the spell you want now vs the spell you'll probably want in another 20 turns that you might not be able to research by then if you don't pick it up now. That's an interesting decision where you make a tradeoff between an immediate advantage vs a longer term advantage, with elements of uncertainty in the long term plan. Those kinds of decisions are the bread and butter of strategy games, but the random one system eliminates that entirely. Instead you get a series of bland, obvious decisions with no real long term consequences, no balancing of present needs vs future needs, no element of risk in passing up a spell and hoping it'll show up again by the time you need it.

Another option would be to add a spell research button in the center of the spell pentagon that doesn't give you any spells when you research it, but replaces all of the current research options. This could either be activated by researching it like another spell, or perhaps by paying a variable mana cost to reroll all of the spells on the spot.

4. I think that Sea Serpents should be made less prevalent as in game right now i have 7 cities being attacked by 3 or four of them, I think happens late game

Build some ships and go sea serpent hunting. They spawn from the ship wrecks and whirlpools in the ocean. If you don't take those out they keep coming over and over. I had a few cities on the edge of my empire with unexplored seas and they were also constantly under attack. I sent my fleet over and took out monster spawn points and never saw another sea serpent again.

another possible improvement that I would like to see would be sea cities that you can build on water and sea buildings like a sea serpent farm, underwater mining, and Naval Bases that spawn marines or another type of warrior and an automatic perk to any units built there that will allow more naval damage and have more movement on water. ^from Spyre

City cities I think would be best for a new race, that's why I suggested Naga or whatever the devs want to call them. If they are going to add a new race I think it would be the best bet to go for a sea based one as it covers a lot of player suggestions involving handling of coastal cities, water being waste of space, weak navy units, water resources, and more race options. They could be very unique only being able to build cities in the water. Though so much would be covered with adding a new race it's likely to be an expansion and not something quick to come out being that it's going to require a lot of art assets be made.

On further thought I think the possibility for more then one race could come from Sea Expansion to add variety and not simply have one race take all the sea. Have a Naga style race which are more sea creature oriented with focus on food so their more like the monster race is now only for the sea and have an Atlantis style race that are similar to aquaman in that the look similar to humans but can breath under water and are stronger plus have higher focus on magic then gold.

The addition of sea races would also add a bit of variety on maps as you could have an islands map which would basically mean people are making heavy use of the sea units which could be a nice change of pace.

(oops, posted this as a normal thread, here).

Suggestion: Ability to set the difficulty of individual opponents rather than for the entire game. Age of Wonders let you do this, so you could for example say I want to fight 3 opponents, one of whom will be hard, one who will be medium, and one who will be easy.

This is a good way to set up games where you can ramp up difficulty step-by-step instead of all at once. I think it would be a nice addition to Warlock.

Just a reminder.... This thread is mainly for Suggestions aimed at the devs for possible inclusion in DLCs or patches.

While some leeway will be given to replying & questioning points and discussing things, anything more than a post or two on the same subject should be siphoned off into its own thread.

So where you think your reply may encourage a debate to start, please create a thread in the main Warlock forum and post a link to it here. And viceversa.

Thank You.

Instead of giving one random new spell to research each time, give five random spells.

I support this!

... on a completely different note, I wish skeletal units had at least one quote. Zombies get them, ghosts get them, why can't skeletons say something? Five units, two of them the starting ones and a third the settler, all totally mute. :(

Spell combos are cool, BUT:
- At least inform the player somehow that a combo took place and what spells you just combined, so he understands why the spell didn't have the same effect as usual
- Killing half your army because you unknowingly triggered an area effect combo on an adjacent enemy unit is not cool. The above suggestion would mitigate the problem since you could at least understand what just happened and not repeat the same mistake. Up to recently, I thought I had stumbled upon a bug.

Edit: Also, a little interface issue: I think that right-click should always unselect the currently selected unit first, if you click anywhere outside its hex. When the screen is packed full of units, it's too easy to open the details menu of some unit instead of unselecting.

I would like an Explore option like you have in the Civ games, so scout units will keep exploring until heavily injured or dead.

Also, make the AI recognise that it CAN dispel spells, and try to do so if an enemy unit is too strong from buffs, or they are under negative spells.

Also, make it so that casting spells of different types improves your ability to cast those spells, so damage spells start doing more and more damage as you cast them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.