• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
To the poster asking about Teleportation: if there are no units selected, it won't allow you to cast the spell (i.e. the "cast" pointer will remain grey over all tiles).

Could anyone help me out with temple quests?

- Are there trigger conditions for the temple quests, e.g. having discovered at least one Holy Grounds first?
If so, it may be best to limit early-game scouting so as not to run into them before you have the firepower to take them - just as I notice the hunting quests spawn anywhere you have explored, which may be a long way from your actual combat units.

Otherwise, it's best to try and find them as soon as possible so as to have time to prepare.

- What's the best way of dealing with the guardians? Are there any particular unit types, spells or strategies that help against them? Are the guardians always elementals?
(Build a temple to Krypta, the goddess says to my undead, vampire-focused race. Ouch.)

Edit: Another question. What determines when a unit retreats in battle?

Last edited:
No clue what if any triggers there are for unlocking quest options or if it is just completely random.

For the Holy Ground Guardians I just lure them away a bit and then move my settler in to build a city nearby. The Greater Elementals will trash your city but from what I have seen they will only pound it to 0 with their ranged attack and not move in to capture.

How to build Elven Sharpshooters? I have Elven Bungalow, what else i miss? Do i need to build Smity, Barracks and Training Ground?
You need to build an Elven Shooting Grounds. It becomes available in the city with the Elven Bungalow once it reaches size ten. The Smithy, Barracks and Training Ground don't matter for getting those special units.

Does a god's disfavour prevent you from building their temple?

For example, suppose I am Ravenous Hollybush, a high-ranking monster cultist of Fervus. If one day I decide that my true self is a bald, pious young woman named Sister Benedicta, can I build a temple to Agrela at the cost of low favour from both old and new "employers"?

To my knowledge, building a temple only requires a Holy Ground hex and the appropriate race; you don't need the approval of the god themselves. The result of building a temple is +20 favor for that god, which means -20 from their opposite number and a smaller change from the four other gods to their sides.

Are you sure? I just finished a monster game in which I started with the favour of Grum-Gog as a perk, did no divine quests, and the first holy ground I claimed only let me pick between Grum-Gog and Fervus for temples - no mention of Helia or Agrela whatsoever. The only explanation I can think of is that the starting favour of Grum-Gog limited me to that half of the god wheel.

(oddly, Agrela later tasked me with building one of her temples in spite of considering me an enemy, but I didn't have a second Holy Ground to see if I could)

That's based on the race of the city which holds the holy ground, rather than any particular favor. An Undead city with a holy ground will only be able to build temples for Krypta and Krolm, regardless of who favors you. I haven't tested the following, but as I understand it, a Monster city can only build temples for Grum-Gog and Fervus while Human cities can build temples to any god except Grum-Gog

It's included in the beginner's guide. But it would be nice to get it out there more, so I'll copy it to here. Also, I haven't tried most of them myself, but I have some notes on two. For me F12 doesn't take screen shots, but Print Screen does. Using [ and ] to cycle through units only worked when I already had a unit with movement points selected.

F5 = QuickSave
F9 = Load QuickSave
[ and ] = Cycle through units
Alt-R = Open and Close Research Window
Alt-C = Open and Close Spell Book
F12 = Takes screenshot
H= Turn hex grid on and off
G = Set a unit to Guard mode
E = Give a unit Explore task (unit starts moving to the fog of war)
Arrow keys and WASD scroll the map.
Enter - Ends current turn

That's based on the race of the city which holds the holy ground, rather than any particular favor. An Undead city with a holy ground will only be able to build temples for Krypta and Krolm, regardless of who favors you. I haven't tested the following, but as I understand it, a Monster city can only build temples for Grum-Gog and Fervus while Human cities can build temples to any god except Grum-Gog

That doesn't sound right. I thought each non-human race got four gods each, such that each gets one of a pair of opposites (e.g. monsters get Agrela and undead get Krypta). That's certainly what I have available to me in my current undead game. So the mystery is why under certain circumstances the selection gets narrowed further.

Edit: here's a quote from another thread.

"Temple to Helia: Monster (Wolves of Helia) or Human (Archers of Helia)
Temple to Dauros: Undead (Paladins of Death) or Human (Paladins of Dauros)
Temple to Agrela: Monster (Paladins of Life) or Human (Priestesses of Agrela)
Temple to Grum-Gog: Monster (Champions of Grum-Gog)
Temple to Lunord: Undead (Adepts of Lunord) or Human (Assassins)
Temple to Fervus: Monster (Druids) or Human (Beastmasters)
Temple to Krypta: Undead (Ancient Liches) or Human (Sisters of Krypta)
Temple to Krolm: Undead (Krolm's Housecarls) or Human (Blademasters)"

So four each by default.

Last edited:
At the moment, yes. Wolves of Helia are immune to Elemental damage and that seems to be why they're also immune to enchantments. It's been posted in the bug form.

That doesn't sound right. I thought each non-human race got four gods each, such that each gets one of a pair of opposites (e.g. monsters get Agrela and undead get Krypta). That's certainly what I have available to me in my current undead game. So the mystery is why under certain circumstances the selection gets narrowed further.

Edit: here's a quote from another thread.

"Temple to Helia: Monster (Wolves of Helia) or Human (Archers of Helia)
Temple to Dauros: Undead (Paladins of Death) or Human (Paladins of Dauros)
Temple to Agrela: Monster (Paladins of Life) or Human (Priestesses of Agrela)
Temple to Grum-Gog: Monster (Champions of Grum-Gog)
Temple to Lunord: Undead (Adepts of Lunord) or Human (Assassins)
Temple to Fervus: Monster (Druids) or Human (Beastmasters)
Temple to Krypta: Undead (Ancient Liches) or Human (Sisters of Krypta)
Temple to Krolm: Undead (Krolm's Housecarls) or Human (Blademasters)"

So four each by default.

That's still only three for Undead, though. With an Undead city I've only had the options for Krolm and Krypta. I'll try to check into seeing about Dauros...

Or I can't read, that's possible. :p

Last edited: