• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
underpowered/underperforming: Muscowy, Ottomans, Poland, Lithuania, France, Denmark, Venice, Brandeburg.

Frankly, I don't see how you could call Denmark underpowered. Since it seems to survive relatively intact in most of my games it seems to be performing pretty accurately to me. Venice, too. Brandenburg is more of a borderline case but how much of their historical result was due to luck/mistakes of their foes?

4 of your remaining 5 under-performers are a result of the combination of the GH not behaving in a historic fashion (internal squabbles, collapse, etc) and the ai not having a clue on how to fight defensively. Add in issues with the war-dec and peace ais and you get the current "norm" of anything but green in OE land, no Russian unification (unless being conquered by Sweden counts), and a multi-hundred year early partitioning of the P-L Commonwealth. These seem to happen in 90% or more of games and pretty clearly point out that some things need to change.

France is different in that it either succeeds (and then some) or collapses spectacularly with no middle ground or coming back from the collapse. I'm not sure what the distribution is for others but I'd say probably 60/40 in my experience absent player intervention. I could see an argument for making France a little stronger than that. The bigger problem I see with France and, to a lesser extent, England/GB is the ease and frequency of collapsing once they have formed up. It is currently too easy and too likely that France, once formed, will spectacularly collapse due to losing a single war.

But France is a warmonger. If it gets more power, it will probably declare war on everything which is weaker (or not that weaker).
So, how many times did France of GB collapse because they were aiming for more than what they could reach? In my other game, you had Scotland under a PU with me, with a couple more vassals and the odd alliance, and GB still declared war on Scotland. And France, it bothered to DoW me (and the whole bunch of countries that I bring along) over a Royal Marriage and Good relations just because of a Dishonoured Call to Arms in an offensive war.

Frankly, I don't see how you could call Denmark underpowered. Since it seems to survive relatively intact in most of my games it seems to be performing pretty accurately to me. Venice, too. Brandenburg is more of a borderline case but how much of their historical result was due to luck/mistakes of their foes?

4 of your remaining 5 under-performers are a result of the combination of the GH not behaving in a historic fashion (internal squabbles, collapse, etc) and the ai not having a clue on how to fight defensively. Add in issues with the war-dec and peace ais and you get the current "norm" of anything but green in OE land, no Russian unification (unless being conquered by Sweden counts), and a multi-hundred year early partitioning of the P-L Commonwealth. These seem to happen in 90% or more of games and pretty clearly point out that some things need to change.

France is different in that it either succeeds (and then some) or collapses spectacularly with no middle ground or coming back from the collapse. I'm not sure what the distribution is for others but I'd say probably 60/40 in my experience absent player intervention. I could see an argument for making France a little stronger than that. The bigger problem I see with France and, to a lesser extent, England/GB is the ease and frequency of collapsing once they have formed up. It is currently too easy and too likely that France, once formed, will spectacularly collapse due to losing a single war.

really? in my games denmark is usually partitioned between Sweden and Burgundy. Venice always loses Treviso, usually to Austria, and keeps her island at most, ofetn is conquered by Austria. Brandeburg/TO never unite/collaborate in any way. About the eastern powers, it's clear a huge problem is their weaker units and tech not counterbalanced by enough manpower. Eastern Europe should have lots of manpower as advantage to worse techs