• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I add this:

1. Make usable the so called Papal Succession for secular rulers too. For example it could be used to mimic the Roman Senate that should elect the ruler of the Roman Empire and the Electors of the HRE (after the golden bull). Some way to have more clear why the Preferatus (Caesar / King of the Romans) is... preferred. I suppose some mechanic to try to convince with bribe or whatever to vote your Preferatus should be necessary for be usable for player... in the end it seems always a random bishop is selected with no particular interesting trait (a learning 5 bishop become the Pope and my chaplain with 25 no? Why?)!
  2. Appointment Succession for indipendent rulers this should mean that effectively you have the power to select your successor without having to bribe anyone... this could emulate the Late Roman Empire and probably Byzantium itself...

A few things regarding titles:

To sum this all up, I want:

1.The ability to have multiple localisations for Titled_Name, Titled_First_Name, and Landed_Full_Ruler_Title depending on the landed/minor title, culture, or religion in question. (Perhaps something like Titled_Name_1, Titled_Name_2, Titled_Name_3 etc.)

Right now, the Title_Ruler Localisation is $Title$$Name$ of $Place$. But I would like to add in more flavour to this.

For example, I would like to certain titles to be assigned to a different type of Localisation. Like:
$Title$$Name$$Housename$
$Title$$Place$
$Title$$Housename$
$Title$$Housename$ of $Place$
$Name$, $Title$ of $Place

I would basically like for this to work with all sorts of dynamic localisation, to create a variety of flavourful titles and styles. This may be applied directly to certain landed titles, certain cultures, religions. The title_ruler_consort would behave as the landed title behaves.

2. The ability to feature all sorts of dynamic localisation in Nicknames, the Titled_Name, Titled_First_Name and Landed_Full_Ruler_Title localisations.
3. The ability to display the housename of someone's current/most recently deceased spouse in the Titled_Name localisation.
4. The removal of hardcoding on the titles "title_prince", "title_ruler_consort", and "title_queen_mother".
5. The ability to set a certain 'of' context to a minor title.

For example, if I were to make a title called "Dowager Countess", the 'of' context would change depending upon whose court the holder is in. If I were to make a title "Prince" for the dynastic grandsons of Kings, I would run into this same problem.

Basically, I would like there be a way to set it to a specific place (Namely, the dowager's deceased husband, or the prince's grandfather).

Last edited:
Could we add the ability to put dynamic localisation into nicknames on this list? It'd be a big help to MJ on his War of the Roses Project.
Could you elaborate?
I add this:
  1. Make usable the so called Papal Succession for secular rulers too. For example it could be used to mimic the Roman Senate that should elect the ruler of the Roman Empire and the Electors of the HRE (after the golden bull). Some way to have more clear why the Preferatus (Caesar / King of the Romans) is... preferred. I suppose some mechanic to try to convince with bribe or whatever to vote your Preferatus should be necessary for be usable for player... in the end it seems always a random bishop is selected with no particular interesting trait (a learning 5 bishop become the Pope and my chaplain with 25 no? Why?)!
  2. Appointment Succession for indipendent rulers this should mean that effectively you have the power to select your successor without having to bribe anyone... this could emulate the Late Roman Empire and probably Byzantium itself...
1. Added to list as:
  • Allow any realm to use Papal succession
2. I think this mostly goes under "moddable succession laws"
1.The ability to have multiple localisations for Titled_Name, Titled_First_Name, and Landed_Full_Ruler_Title depending on the landed/minor title, culture, or religion in question. (Perhaps something like Titled_Name_1, Titled_Name_2, Titled_Name_3 etc.)
Isnt' this pretty much covered under the following?
  • Ability to change title localisation based on whether the title is independent (E.G., and independent kingdom being a "Kingdom", but a vassal kingdom being a "Grand Duchy")
  • Ability to change title localisation based on whether the title is titular or not
  • Ability to change title localisation based on religion
2. The ability to feature all sorts of dynamic localisation in Nicknames, the Titled_Name, Titled_First_Name and Landed_Full_Ruler_Title localisations.
3. The ability to display the housename of someone's current/most recently deceased spouse in the Titled_Name localisation.
4. The removal of hardcoding on the titles "title_prince", "title_ruler_consort", and "title_queen_mother".
5. The ability to set a certain 'of' context to a minor title.
2. That's rather vague
3. Could you explain this in a bit more detail? I'm not entirely sure how titled_name functions
4. In what manner are they hardcoded? (I don't have that much experience with the intricacies of localisation)
5. I can't say I know how this would function in practice. Could you elaborate?

Could you elaborate?

1. Added to list as:
  • Allow any realm to use Papal succession
2. I think this mostly goes under "moddable succession laws"

Isnt' this pretty much covered under the following?
  • Ability to change title localisation based on whether the title is independent (E.G., and independent kingdom being a "Kingdom", but a vassal kingdom being a "Grand Duchy")
  • Ability to change title localisation based on whether the title is titular or not
  • Ability to change title localisation based on religion
2. That's rather vague
3. Could you explain this in a bit more detail? I'm not entirely sure how titled_name functions
4. In what manner are they hardcoded? (I don't have that much experience with the intricacies of localisation)
5. I can't say I know how this would function in practice. Could you elaborate?

1. No it is not, because I want to change the actual 'order' of the words. For example, if I wanted to do '$NAME$, $TITLE$ of $HOLDING$' instead of "$TITLE$$NAME$ of $HOLDING$" for certain titles. There are many other things that I would love to do if only I had that ability.

2. By dynamic localisation, I mean $THESE$ and [Things.that.look.like.this]. I would like to be able to use them in nicknames and other areas, but currently I cannot. :(

3. Titled_Name is simply the localisation line that displays how someone's full title would look. By default, it is set to $TITLE$$NAME$ of $HOLDING$. As I mentioned in '1', I would love to be able to play around like this, having different titles, or localisations of titles link to a certain (modified) version of this line. One thing I would like to do would be to display someone's surname/married surname in this (mainly for immersive purposes).

4. This isn't really a localisation thing. If you look in the document that handles minor titles, those three are currently hardcoded. Ideally, I'd like the hardcoding to be removed, so I can create further titles using those same hardcoded mechanics. (For example, I'd like to create a minor title the code for 'title_prince' that hands out a certain title to grandchildren of kings, children of dukes etc.)

5. Let's say I made a title 'Dowager Duchess', for a widowed wife of a duke, that was handed out by an event. Things would be all fine and dandy until she moved to a different court, because then the 'of' portion of the title would change. Thus the Dowager Duchess of Cornwall would become the Dowager Duchess of <RANDOM PLACE>, which is silly and annoying. So what I want, is for there to be a way to bind the minor title to a certain Holding, so no matter where this gal goes, she will always be known as the Dowager Duchess of Cornwall.

Sorry, I'm pretty terrible at explaining things. I know there are a million more important things that need to be made moddable, but I just had to get that out of my system. :)

1. No it is not, because I want to change the actual 'order' of the words. For example, if I wanted to do '$NAME$, $TITLE$ of $HOLDING$' instead of "$TITLE$$NAME$ of $HOLDING$" for certain titles. There are many other things that I would love to do if only I had that ability.

2. By dynamic localisation, I mean $THESE$ and [Things.that.look.like.this]. I would like to be able to use them in nicknames and other areas, but currently I cannot. :(

3. Titled_Name is simply the localisation line that displays how someone's full title would look. By default, it is set to $TITLE$$NAME$ of $HOLDING$. As I mentioned in '1', I would love to be able to play around like this, having different titles, or localisations of titles link to a certain (modified) version of this line. One thing I would like to do would be to display someone's surname/married surname in this (mainly for immersive purposes).

4. This isn't really a localisation thing. If you look in the document that handles minor titles, those three are currently hardcoded. Ideally, I'd like the hardcoding to be removed, so I can create further titles using those same hardcoded mechanics. (For example, I'd like to create a minor title the code for 'title_prince' that hands out a certain title to grandchildren of kings, children of dukes etc.)

5. Let's say I made a title 'Dowager Duchess', for a widowed wife of a duke, that was handed out by an event. Things would be all fine and dandy until she moved to a different court, because then the 'of' portion of the title would change. Thus the Dowager Duchess of Cornwall would become the Dowager Duchess of <RANDOM PLACE>, which is silly and annoying. So what I want, is for there to be a way to bind the minor title to a certain Holding, so no matter where this gal goes, she will always be known as the Dowager Duchess of Cornwall.

Sorry, I'm pretty terrible at explaining things. I know there are a million more important things that need to be made moddable, but I just had to get that out of my system. :)
1. Added:
  • Allow changing the order of dynamic tokens in ruler title localisation (E.G., having certain titles localised as "William, King of England" instead of "King William of England")
2. Added:
  • Allow using localisation commands (E.G., [Root.Religion.GetName]) in nicknames
3. I still don't quite understand how this would function.
4. Can't you still give it to whoever though by event/decision/etc? That's how changing regents by event works
5. Okay, that makes some sense. Added:
  • Allow minor titles' localisation to be bound to a specific title. E.G., a Dowager Duchess of Cornwall would continue to be called "of Cornwall" even if she moved to a different court

I think 3. is about being able to use/add stuff which is not yet included in ruler title localization. Probably also removing it, so that you could have William de Normandie or something without having to display title and holding.

Add religion flag that decides whether male rulers can snatch concubines by force, or only take them "peacefully" from their court or by asking somebody nicely (same but separate for female rulers when/if they are ever allowed male concubines). I guess Jains would benefit most from it, since it odd that supposedly pacifist religion gets prestige bonus from keeping kidnapped "nubile girls".
Add scriptable rules for AI designating heirs (with new RoI mechanic) by weighted modifiers, so AI can and will designate/switch designation of their children based on traits, age, stats, gender, opinion, whether married, whether same religion/culture as designator, etc.
Export to defines flag, that decide whether female unmarried lovers of rulers, when impregnated from engine, and not form events, will have "cuckoo", or "known" bastards (currently they're "by unknown father"). If unmarried woman is mistress of ruler, he should have option whether legitimize their kid.

Last edited:
1. Added:
  • Allow changing the order of dynamic tokens in ruler title localisation (E.G., having certain titles localised as "William, King of England" instead of "King William of England")
2. Added:
  • Allow using localisation commands (E.G., [Root.Religion.GetName]) in nicknames
3. I still don't quite understand how this would function.
4. Can't you still give it to whoever though by event/decision/etc? That's how changing regents by event works
5. Okay, that makes some sense. Added:
  • Allow minor titles' localisation to be bound to a specific title. E.G., a Dowager Duchess of Cornwall would continue to be called "of Cornwall" even if she moved to a different court

3. This can probably be combined with '1'. Basically I want to also be able to use more types $THESE$ and [These.kinds.of.things] in the Titled_Name, Titled_First_Name, and Landed_Full_Ruler_Title lines of localisation, and make it so that different titles can scope to different versions of these.

For example, let's say I wanted to make a title 'Lady' for a daughter of an earl/duke, who is named Anne Grey. In game currently, it would be displayed as Lady Anne of Cornwall. What I would like to do, however, is make it so that this specific title would be displayed differently. Namely, I would like it to be displayed as 'Lady Anne Grey'.

If being able to use dynamic localisation in nicknames is implemented, I could accomplish this same thing. But, I would need lots of events to support it, and it would cause a lot of lag.

4. I could, but one property I like about the 'title_prince' is that the 'of <place>' part always stays the same, no matter what court you go to. Other than that, creating a bunch of events to support all these titles can create lag and are very time consuming.

-Allow changing the order of dynamic tokens in ruler title localisation (E.G., having certain titles localised as "William, King of England" instead of "King William of England"

Could you change the above suggestion to:

-Allow changing the order of, and the addition and removal of dynamic tokens in ruler title localisation (E.G., having certain titles localised as "William, King of England" instead of "King William of England", or "Lady Anne Grey" instead of "Lady Anne of Cornwall")

Last edited:
3. This can probably be combined with '1'. Basically I want to also be able to use more types $THESE$ and [These.kinds.of.things] in the Titled_Name, Titled_First_Name, and Landed_Full_Ruler_Title lines of localisation, and make it so that different titles can scope to different versions of these.

For example, let's say I wanted to make a title 'Lady' for a daughter of an earl/duke, who is named Anne Grey. In game currently, it would be displayed as Lady Anne of Cornwall. What I would like to do, however, is make it so that this specific title would be displayed differently. Namely, I would like it to be displayed as 'Lady Anne Grey'.

If being able to use dynamic localisation in nicknames is implemented, I could accomplish this same thing. But, I would need lots of events to support it, and it would cause a lot of lag.
I've edited it to say:
  • Allow changing the order of localisation commands in ruler title localisation (E.G., having certain titles localised as "William, King of England" instead of "King William of England", or "Lady Anne Grey" instead of "Lady Anne of Cornwall"), and allow using relevant localisation commands ([Root.Whatever]) in title localisation. This could function similar to how specific titles can currently have custom ruler title names (E.G., "Basileus")
4. I could, but one property I like about the 'title_prince' is that the 'of <place>' part always stays the same, no matter what court you go to. Other than that, creating a bunch of events to support all these titles can create lag and are very time consuming.
Covered by this, no?
Could you change the above suggestion to:
Done.

I'm not sure if this has been suggested already, but I think pentarchies and holy sites should be exported to the /religions folder, so that changing them doesn't involve changing the all-important landed_titles.txt folder, for improved compatibility.

Just a few things that would be IMO helpful:

- Adjust the 'join_attacker_wars =' and 'join_defender_wars =' effects. Currently these effects can only add a character into one war. e.g. If FROM is currently in 2 or more defensive wars the join_defender_wars = FROM effect will only add the character to one of FROM's wars. Ideally it should be all of them.

- Some sort of trigger like 'is_allied_with =' , which would check to see if the characters are allied. any_ally and random_ally scopes would also be useful.

- 'can_inherit = yes/no' and 'can_marry = yes/no' triggers which checks if a character has traits that forbid inheritance/marriage

- I've noticed the latest vanilla patch has started culling a lot more courtiers, presumably in an optimisation effort. Some of way of flagging characters as important so they aren't culled by the game engine would be nice. e.g. we have dragons/dragon riders in the AGOT mod that are sometimes culled and would like this to not happen.

- Family palace buildings can have character effects, e.g. monthly_character_piety and stat changes. Would be good to be able to apply these to all types of building in other types of holding.

Just a few things that would be IMO helpful:

- Adjust the 'join_attacker_wars =' and 'join_defender_wars =' effects. Currently these effects can only add a character into one war. e.g. If FROM is currently in 2 or more defensive wars the join_defender_wars = FROM effect will only add the character to one of FROM's wars. Ideally it should be all of them.

- Some sort of trigger like 'is_allied_with =' , which would check to see if the characters are allied. any_ally and random_ally scopes would also be useful.

- 'can_inherit = yes/no' and 'can_marry = yes/no' triggers which checks if a character has traits that forbid inheritance/marriage

- I've noticed the latest vanilla patch has started culling a lot more courtiers, presumably in an optimisation effort. Some of way of flagging characters as important so they aren't culled by the game engine would be nice. e.g. we have dragons/dragon riders in the AGOT mod that are sometimes culled and would like this to not happen.

- Family palace buildings can have character effects, e.g. monthly_character_piety and stat changes. Would be good to be able to apply these to all types of building in other types of holding.
1. That really sounds more like a bug, no? I've added this to the list now though, which is somewhat related:
  • Make it possible to force characters to join a side in a war by event/decision/etc (specific war, unlike join_attacker_wars)
2. I could've sworn I had that on the list. Added now:
  • An is_allied = <character> condition
3. Great idea. Added:
  • A can_inherit condition; currently one has to check for every trait that prevents inheritance
  • A can_marry condition; currently one has to check for every trait that prevents marriage
4. Added:
  • A way to flag a character as important so that the game won't kill it off for optimization reasons
5. If that's not already the case, that also sounds like a bug of sorts

3. Great idea. Added:
  • A can_inherit condition; currently one has to check for every trait that prevents inheritance
  • A can_marry condition; currently one has to check for every trait that prevents marriage
Turns out can_marry already exists. Removed that from the list.

How about a flag or something similar that tells the AI to prioritize getting control of a specific province to replace the AI's fixation on getting the historic capitals? That way the Byzantine emperor and French king will prioritize getting Constantinople or Paris while the Holy Roman Emperor will be perfectly content with his own holdings.

How about a flag or something similar that tells the AI to prioritize getting control of a specific province to replace the AI's fixation on getting the historic capitals? That way the Byzantine emperor and French king will prioritize getting Constantinople or Paris while the Holy Roman Emperor will be perfectly content with his own holdings.
I think the point about title flags would cover this pretty well, since then you could modify the AI's ai_will_do to account for that.
The AI being fixated on capitals themselves sound like more of a design issue, so I'm not 100% sure it belongs on the list.

1. That really sounds more like a bug, no? I've added this to the list now though, which is somewhat related:

5. If that's not already the case, that also sounds like a bug of sorts

True, they are probably bugs, but I've reported these problems months ago so I'd guess were more likely to get them fixed this way :)

Turns out can_marry already exists. Removed that from the list.

I've tested this trigger before and it doesn't work with yes/no values, only ROOT/FROM/PREV etc

True, they are probably bugs, but I've reported these problems months ago so I'd guess were more likely to get them fixed this way :)
I can't say I like to put bugs on the list.

I've tested this trigger before and it doesn't work with yes/no values, only ROOT/FROM/PREV etc
Vanilla has a can_marry = yes in various_traits_events.txt. If that doesn't work then that's another bug ;)

I can't say I like to put bugs on the list.

Vanilla has a can_marry = yes in various_traits_events.txt. If that doesn't work then that's another bug ;)

Fair enough, hopefully they will fix it one day.

One thing I forgot to mention: a remove_nickname command or something similar to remove nicknames.

Add the ability to have more portrait fazes: Instead of having kid, adult, middlesaged, old allow us to add a few more so we can have things like teenager and baby portraits as well as very old portraits.

Preferably break it up like this: 4 potential child stages with portrait change dates filled by the current child portraits in the base game and 6 older portrait changes with changeable portrait change dates filled up by 2 adults, 2middleaged, and 2 old. You can name them as such: baby portraits, toddler portraits, child portraits, teenager portrait, young adult portraits, adult portraits, middle aged portraits, old portraits, and very old portraits. If modders/devs don't want to use them they can simple double up the images used by previous portraits or possibly we could have an option to disable certain ones in the defines.lua.