• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

paracat

Sergeant
19 Badges
Aug 8, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Cities in Motion
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
I have an inheritance situation in my game as Burgundy that I need some help with. The situation is I am currently the King of Burgundy and a vassal of the HRE. My inheritance is elective and my chosen heir is my son. Crown Authority in HRE is limited.

My son is the Duke of Burgundy and a vassal of France. His inheritance is Gavelkind but as he is unmarried and has no children I am the only heir for his Duchy and County. Crown Authority in France is Autonomous Vassals.

Basically I want to know exactly what would happen i.e. where my capital would be and who my liege would be (if I still have one) depending on who dies first.

My theory is that if the son dies I will inherit the Duchy and it will become part of my kingdom and I will remain under the HRE, everything else will stay the same.

But if the father dies I'm really not sure. Does he just resume where the old king left off but bring his Duchy with him (i.e. the same as above)? Or does my capital move to his current capital and I become independent (since from France's perspective his Duke just inherited a Kingdom which is the same level as France and hence immediately given independence)?

EDIT: Oh just in case it matters the Duchy of Burgundy is now de jure part of France.

I would as well but I experienced another oddity in the same game where as a Count I took the last County of the Duke above me and I suddenly became independent before I quickly pledged myself again (being a 4 County independent Duchy between France and HRE was not going to be a good idea).

I would as well but I experienced another oddity in the same game where as a Count I took the last County of the Duke above me and I suddenly became independent before I quickly pledged myself again (being a 4 County independent Duchy between France and HRE was not going to be a good idea).

That sounds buggy.

As for your original post, that is an interesting situation. Please let us know what happens when you play it out. I guess it all matters in the order that the coding triggers in the game. I could see two ways. When the father dies-

CK2 recognizes that the son inherits the Kingdom of Burgundy from HRE, removes it from HRE, adds it to the sons holdings, recognizes that France and Burgundy are same level, then grants independence. Or

CK2 adds the son's holding together, then rules out being part of France because they are similar ranks, so therefore defaults to HRE.

I think you'll be independent.

You need Absolute Crown Authority for the title not to pass outside the realm(?), so even with Limited Crown Authority in Holy Roman Empire situation should be like this:

- If you heir dies his land will be the part of your demesne and Holy Roman Empire, law will stay Elective and your capital will be your current capital.

- If you die your land will be the part of France, even if it's part of the Holy Roman Empire, law should be Gavelkind and your capital will be your son's capital. But since you mention that you have title of King your son should become independent (same rank as King of France) with possibility to swear fealty to the Emperor.

That's how I see it.

Just tried it, everything acted normally (whichever one died the other inherited everything and remained king under the HRE). I'm actually a bit disappointed but oh well.

Yea I assumed it was buggy but it didn't really cause too many problems as I was only independent for a few days (the time it took to realise something had gone terribly wrong and for me to pledge again).

The question is why you remained the vassal of the Holy Roman Empire if your son was vassal to the King of France... Perhaps when the game saw that you couldn't remain under protection of France (and your equal King) it automatically assigned your heir as vassal to the Emperor? It looks like the game considers both lieges before reassigning vassalage.

Well, I think I recall seeing that a higher ranked title will supersede one of lower rank in a succession. Which is why, as a duke inheriting a kingdom, the capital will stay as the kingdoms capital. So if thats the case, it would make perfect sense that he remains part of HRE.

I was trying to think of an example in game where I have seen this across independent rulers, but cant. Like you losing a county in your kingdom because he inherited a dukedom in a different kingdom and took the county with him. I guess paracat's post is proof enough.